04 Grand Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
So ,my Grand Marquis has 25,000 miles and I am now almost to 5,000 miles on Motorcraft 5w20 Dealer oil. The last couple mornings I'm noticing some start up noise that wasn't there before. In my way to walmart now....suggestions one last time please....Thank you all so much,as I learn so much from you.

What kind of start up noise... more like a tap tap or like the sound of the neighbors cat being cooked?🤔

Get a filter with the orange silicone ADBV (looks orange on the end), even Fram Extra Guards have them now. Your filter is draining back to the sump overnight and allowing the timing chain tensioners to loosen up, more than likely.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Get a filter with the orange silicone ADBV (looks orange on the end), even Fram Extra Guards have them now. Your filter is draining back to the sump overnight and allowing the timing chain tensioners to loosen up, more than likely.

This. Modular engines were always picky about filters. When I owned modular Fords I found the Motorcraft FL820S worked best for me.

OP as for oil, pick your favorite jug color in 5w20 and you're golden.

Your halfway there already walmart carries ford filters and any 5w20 or 30 oil will do just fine.

If there is any ticking from engine make sure spark plugs are properly torqued. The 4.6 is a great motor but prone to ejecting spark plugs over time due to low factory torque spec taking head threads with them. I would check torque for piece of mind. A Ford tech on you tube recommends a higher spec than factory to prevent this.

For sparkers just put your index finger on top of each COPwith the engine running. if they go, you'll feel the difference immediately. I doubt it's sparkers. Most likely a case of sagging old valve in your oil filter.

Thanks everyone. Got sum Quaker State Full synthetic 5w20 and a Motorcraft FL 820 filter. Will be changing next week. Should I stay at 5,000 mile intervals or extend a bit?

Originally Posted by mrjlube
Thanks everyone. Got sum Quaker State Full synthetic 5w20 and a Motorcraft FL 820 filter. Will be changing next week. Should I stay at 5,000 mile intervals or extend a bit?

Full synthetic. Go at least 7500 miles and get your money's worth.

Motorcraft 5W-20 or 5W-30.

I had the 4.6 in another Panther car. Loved, loved, loved that car. Motorcraft 5W-20 or 5W-30 and it's fine. Great car.

I've got the 4.6 in my '95 Cougar. Currently running Mobil 5000 10W-40 in it, soon to drop down to a 5W-30. Great engine, so far. Good pep and very reliable. Have fun with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back