2019 Mazda3 Hatchback AWD Premium Second Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mazda is trying to keep their tradition alive but the meaning of the SkyActiv Initiative is rebirth and starting over fresh which they did.

This period for them is transitory as they become more involved in the Toyota process and transition to the next generation of mobility.

Originally Posted by Ws6
They retained the near telepathic transmission logic and great suspension and steering feedback and dynamics, even while going to electric steering.

The Skyactiv 6-speed auto in my 2014 Mazda3 2.5 was one of the best automatic transmissions I've ever driven. Always in the right gear, quick up/downshifts but no gear hunting and smooth. I read a couple of reviews of the new Mazda3 where they comment that the 6-speed now has issues with harsh shifts at low speed and gear hunting. I assume they changed something about that nearly perfect transmission or these writers are hacks and just needed something to complain about in their article.

I also thought the 2.5L was a great durable engine but it appears they added cylinder deactivation and it now has some issues.

I think this is where the constant need for innovation = less reliable powertrains.

Last edited:
^^^^

I agree no need for added technologies that cause more problems. The collision avoidance braking system caused this new Mazda 3 owner to get hit in the rear.

A few reports on the internet of the automatic braking system not working correctly. Unfortunately owners of the new Mazda 3 can NOT turn this crap system off.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I agree no need for added technologies that cause more problems. The collision avoidance brakes caused this new Mazda 3 owner to get hit in the rear.

A few reports on the internet of the automatic braking system not working correctly.

My cx-5 has some sort of automatic braking system. But you can deselect it and turn it off, at least on my 2017. I turned mine off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by Ws6
They retained the near telepathic transmission logic and great suspension and steering feedback and dynamics, even while going to electric steering.

The Skyactiv 6-speed auto in my 2014 Mazda3 2.5 was one of the best automatic transmissions I've ever driven. Always in the right gear, quick up/downshifts but no gear hunting and smooth. I read a couple of reviews of the new Mazda3 where they comment that the 6-speed now has issues with harsh shifts at low speed and gear hunting. I assume they changed something about that nearly perfect transmission or these writers are hacks and just needed something to complain about in their article.

I also thought the 2.5L was a great durable engine but it appears they added cylinder deactivation and it now has some issues.

I think this is where the constant need for innovation = less reliable powertrains.

I agree. We had a 2014 3 TG with the 2.5L. Great AT for sure.

I definitely don't like cylinder deactivation, in any car.

^^^^

I agree no need for added technologies that cause more problems. The collision avoidance braking system caused this new Mazda 3 owner to get hit in the rear.

A few reports on the internet of the automatic braking system not working correctly. Unfortunately owners of the new Mazda 3 can NOT turn this crap system off.
frown.gif

The problem is not the system but the person behind you following too close or not paying attention.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by Ws6

My CX5 turbo has none of those issues.

Also, yes, I can turn the auto-braking feature off, or tune its sensitivity. Set to max, it startled me once. Dumbed down a bit, it panic brakes exactly when I would.

Mazda's seem very milquetoast to me, can honestly say they'd be my fourth choice in the Asian brands behind Nissan. Toyota, then Hyundai being first and second respectively.

How do their sales numbers rank against the other brands?

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Mazda's seem very milquetoast to me, can honestly say they'd be my fourth choice in the Asian brands behind Nissan. Toyota, then Hyundai being first and second respectively.

Having owned Nissan products and Mazda products, I disagree. That said, each company has home runs. The CUV in the form of cx5 is a slam dunk for Mazda. The Accord is a slam dunk for Honda as a sedan. Nissan? They make a great 2005 looking truck that's pretty reliable. Hyundai in the form of Genesis is doing very well in the luxury market in their segment.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Having owned Nissan products and Mazda products, I disagree. That said, each company has home runs. The CUV in the form of cx5 is a slam dunk for Mazda. The Accord is a slam dunk for Honda as a sedan. Nissan? They make a great 2005 looking truck that's pretty reliable. Hyundai in the form of Genesis is doing very well in the luxury market in their segment.

LOL I agree.

Among the Japanese brands I put Mazda within the top 3. Nissan is last on my list. I like the Frontier but that's an exception.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by Ws6

LOL I agree.

Among the Japanese brands I put Mazda within the top 3. Nissan is last on my list. I like the Frontier but that's an exception.

I've always called Nissan "The Chrysler of Japan". Apparently a quick Google shows that this is a pretty common thing, lol!

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/cyu96m/true_or_false_nissan_is_the_chrysler_of_japan/

The consolidation of the Japanese brands, mainly through Toyota and Nissan (RNM) is having an effect. Toyota and the brands affiliated with them are very similar. Nissan on the other hand has drifted away from its roots with the Renault alliance. That is a soap opera going on over there. I've said it before but for Nissan I would like to see them break off from Renault completely. They have Mitsubishi now and with the deep pockets of that keiretsu could go farther than being attached to the Renault anchor.

Toyota has no problems and Honda is diversified into other sectors so they have their base set.

BTW, Mazda is getting ready to announce their EV here shortly. The scuttlebutt has it that the return of the rotary engine may be coming although it will be as a battery extender. The drive package sounds very interesting. We shall see.

Originally Posted by PimTac
^^^^

frown.gif

The problem is not the system but the person behind you following too close or not paying attention.

Did you watch the video ?

Mazda 3 owners reporting problems with their radar cruise control. Maybe the sensor is tied into the 'smart' braking system...?

I didn't realize the new 3 had cylinder deactivation. Not a fan....

Originally Posted by buster
I didn't realize the new 3 had cylinder deactivation. Not a fan....

According to the Mazda website, all trims of FWD and AWD hatchbacks have cylinder deactivation, the AWD sedans also have it, but some trims of the FWD sedan don't.

So the Mazda 3, Mazda 3 Select and Mazda 3 Preferred FWD sedans don't list cylinder deactivation. Top trim Mazda3 Premium does.

I've got the 2018 Mazda3 hatchback and really like the looks and it's mechanical aspects. I keep in-touch with the car salesman and took all the 2019 models for test drives. The 2019 Mazda3 made a lot of little improvements in the suspension and compartment sound levels. Honestly though, the 2019 hatchback looks do nothing for me. When I saw one in person, the back styling immediately reminded me of an AMC pacer. I do however like the looks of the Mazda3 sedan and believe it or not, the trunk space in the sedan is more usable than the hatch space of the hatchback.

Mazda has come a long way. Their constant innovation is incredible! I can't wait to see if they release the Skyactive-X (gasoline diesel) in 2020.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

I've got the 2018 Mazda3 hatchback and really like the looks and it's mechanical aspects. I keep in-touch with the car salesman and took all the 2019 models for test drives. The 2019 Mazda3 made a lot of little improvements in the suspension and compartment sound levels. Honestly though, the 2019 hatchback looks do nothing for me. When I saw one in person, the back styling immediately reminded me of an AMC pacer. I do however like the looks of the Mazda3 sedan and believe it or not, the trunk space in the sedan is more usable than the hatch space of the hatchback.

Mazda has come a long way. Their constant innovation is incredible! I can't wait to see if they release the Skyactive-X (gasoline diesel) in 2020.

Lockstep, Sir.

But please...AMC Pacer...cannot unsee...oh, the humanity.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Originally Posted by RayCJ

Lockstep, Sir.

But please...AMC Pacer...cannot unsee...oh, the humanity.

The dealer and I were walking toward the test-drive car; he was sipping on a cup of coffee. When I got close enough to really see it, I said "Gee, that thing looks like a Pacer". He was in the middle of a sip and coffee shot out his nose. Yeah... Butt Ugly if you ask me.

... On another note... I have the collision sensor turned on the lowest setting on my car... Never had a problem with it throwing-out the hooks. Every now and then, the deactivation light goes on because of heavy rain or fogged-up windshield. I'm not a tailgater so, I doubt if the car has ever self-invoked the brakes.

Also, I asked the dealer how the cylinder deactivation was performing. His shop has not had a single case of a failed system but he did acknowledge the recall. The recall is a firmware update for all Mazda's with that feature. He personally has gotten almost no complaints but, there are some people who can feel when it transitions. He said under some conditions, it can feel like an AC compressor kicking in. Most people are OK with it but the ones who don't like it really hate it. I test drove two cars (2019 Mazda6 and Mazda3) and it could see on the panel that each went in/out of deactivation mode. I could not feel anything at all. A friend of mine has a CX-5, I asked him if he could feel when it kicked in/out. Let's put it this way... I had to first explain that his car had cylinder deactivation. Needless to say, he does not feel when it transitions.

Ray

What are you referring to that tells you the cylinder deactivation has kicked in? As far as I know there is nothing that tells the driver this.

Originally Posted by PimTac
What are you referring to that tells you the cylinder deactivation has kicked in? As far as I know there is nothing that tells the driver this.

On the Mazda3 it was in the fuel monitor screen. I don't know if 2018's have this. I was test driving 2019's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back