Wanted: Inexpensive car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I apologize in advance if this post Is against the rules. mods, Feel free to delete if it is. Thank you

I have spent the better part of the last month looking at craigslist and the local classifieds for an inexpensive car for my newly licensed 16-year-old nephew and it has been an absolute waste of time. I figured I would ask on the forum and see if anyone has a car that they are looking to sell or if they have a lead on something interesting. My criteria is basically a few thousand dollars tops and reasonably reliable. I am buying this as a gift for him So he can putt around town and maybe work on it enough that it gets him part of the way through college.

Thank you very much

Well, you may have to look out of your area for an early 2000's Corolla(2003-09). Maybe you can find a good example that is also easy to fix but, it's very difficult to find any vehicle for a few thousand bucks. To me, anything that cheap is just cheap junk and already used up.

But, they're out there. You know, that creampuff(or cherry) that has low mileage for its age and well maintained, like having things replaced when broken and not left for the next owner to fix. However you must look hard & long and expand you viewing area while being willing to travel some.

You may even find a car that's so good you won't want to give it up!
laugh.gif

Have you considered posting on Toyota or Honda boards, if anyone has an older car to sell? My 'belief' is, anyone who frequents on car boards will at least do basic maintenance on the car. I feel that is your best bet. I seriously considered the option when I could not find reasonably priced pre-owned Forester (but I wasn't looking for that cheap vehicle).

I had a 2009 Nissan Sentra that I sold for $3500 last year. It had 170k on it, and ran like the day I bought it. The only repair it ever needed, was some minor ($40) welding on the exhaust at 100k, and the intake boot cracked at around 160k. Yes, it had the CVT which gave me no problems, and I changed the fluid every 30-40k.

Last edited:
You know what I come across that seem inexpensive and are relatively easy to work on? Panel vans. 1/2 -1ton that have been used as service vehicles for trades people. American V8 and automatic transmission with rear wheel drive. Easy to work on, accesible and inexpensive parts and many of these type vehicles have lower mileage than expected. Fuel mileage may be an issue. I chose one local to me as an example. Check your local listings.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2306609389459898/

Like a few have said already...Honda or Toyota. The Corrola, Matrix, the Civic, Accord, Camry, CRV, Rav 4. Take a look at those.

And just make sure the timing belt has been replaced.

Last edited:
I've got a Civic for sale. Depending on your definition of "a few" it might fit your criteria. It is a good car, PM me if interested.

Lots of options around here in the 1999-2010 age range. On Craigslist there's a 2002 Mustang with 181K on it listed for $3500, a 2008 Impala with 141K on it for $3800, a 2010 Escape with 172K on it for $3800 and a 2003 PT Cruiser with 107K on it for $2000. Any of them would be a good first car for a kid, and you don't have to shoehorn him into foreign junk.

If you really want to step it up, there's a 1973 Charger that looks pretty clean and straight for $8000. That one looks like an excellent candidate for a full on restoration. I would not recommend it for a kids first car though.

00C0C_9q0yUIFvLOg_1200x900.jpg

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Facebook is king where i am for local used cars.. there is marketplace and 'yard sale' groups

This. Craigslist started charging for car ads and there are way less "cheap" cars than before

I would recommend a 2008-2012 Escape 2.5L FWD. They are very cheap to buy and a decent vehicle. I personally don't care for cheap Toyota and Honda's. If you find one of these super cheap it's probably junk. Personal experience.

Loved the recommendation of a PT Cruiser instead of "foreign junk." LOL

Hondas and Toyotas have such ridiculously high resale value precisely because they are anything but junk. Ironically their resale value is so high they have sort of priced themselves out of the market to me. I ended up buying new because the cost/value ratio was higher than a 10 year old Toyota.

Besides, my last three 'foreign' cars were made in Canada and Mississippi. My 'American' car was made in Mexico.

PT cruiser are one of the worst cars ever made.

Most Imports are built stateside. and most Domestics are built elsewhere.

The cars that would be decent he wouldn't want to be seen in
smile.gif

Maybe a Midsized Pontiac Grand Am or a Cobalt

Some old lady up here has a Mint Mitsubish Galant .

It all comes down to the CAR itself you just have to check it out.

Also Look for an elderly person who cant drive anymore or and estate sale.

2003-2008 Corolla is a fantastic choice. I have seen several for sale that were maxed out on the odometers mileage count (299K). These cars run and are known for being crazy reliable. Easy to maintain and not many issues overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back