What is something you NEVER buy cheap? and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Just because M1 is more $$, doesn't mean it's necessarily better for YOUR application/driving needs.
27.gif

Ironically, M1 can be had for $10.88/5qt on rebate every single day.
Sometimes as low as $7.98/5qt on rebate when on rollback.

* Clothing especially socks, underwear, thermals, jackets/outdoor gear
* laptop computers - they fail if cheap and miserable to use
* smartphones - I would not buy anything but a premium brand/quality of Apple or Samsung
* Chargers/cables

Originally Posted by madRiver

Ding ding ding!
I couldn't agree more; I hate cheap computers.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Ding ding ding!
I couldn't agree more; I hate cheap computers.

I forgot about this... bought a $300 ASUS, it's miserable. It was replaced by a MacBook Pro.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by 02SE
Motorcycle tires.

Cheap
handling/grip
longevity

Pick two. Because you will only get two of those characteristics in one tire.

Shinko. Quite impressed with the ones on my Sportster, and the rear I used on my Suzuki outlasted the Bridgestone it replaced-and worked better in the rain.

Tried the lineup on far more powerful bikes. Picking two characteristics applies to Shinko too.

They might always be cheap, but on powerful bikes they either have grip at the cost of longevity, (drag radial only good in a straight line) or longevity at the cost of grip (all the other sportbike sized models).

We've already had the discussion in the past. A Sportster and a scooter are not representative of what works on a sportbike.

Toilet Paper: Consequences of shame and disapointment
Pencils: For a few cents more and avoid broken leads.
Motor Oil: When so many mechanical parts are relying on one simple thing... not to shear metal components
Dishwashing and laundry liquid: There is no alternative to clean clothing

Originally Posted by tomartomau
Toilet Paper: Consequences of shame and disapointment
Pencils: For a few cents more and avoid broken leads.
Motor Oil: When so many mechanical parts are relying on one simple thing... not to shear metal components
Dishwashing and laundry liquid: There is no alternative to clean clothing

Actual lab analysis showed that the Walmart house brand oil was actually good.

* Clothing especially socks, underwear, thermals, jackets/outdoor gear
* smartphones - I would not buy anything but a premium brand/quality of Apple or Samsung
* Chargers/cables

Yep.

If I sweat in it, type on it or plug it in, I want things that will hold up.

I dont cheap out on toothpaste, but I dont buy "name brand", I use Uncle Harry's Natural Cinnamon toothpaste in a jar.

Same with dish soap, I dont buy "name brand" but I use Ecos almond, which isnt cheap either.

Body soap as well, I dont buy "name brand" but I dont cheap out, I usually buy homemade soaps from farmers markets/stores

Ammo is another thing I dont really cheap out on, unless I'm shooting a Soviet surplus weapon, I rarely buy steel casings.

Other than that, I use generic anything mostly, everyone's saying Toilet Paper, but I was in the Army, anything's better than Army toilet paper and MRE toilet paper. I use Great Value Sustainable Toilet Paper..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by splinter
Condoms.

+1..does it really need an explanation?...‚

TP... spend the extra money for the good stuff. The next time you have bad gas station sushi your bum will thank you for it!...‚

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by splinter
Condoms.

+1..does it really need an explanation?...‚

TP... spend the extra money for the good stuff. The next time you have bad gas station sushi your bum will thank you for it!...‚

Or spend more money on the sushi so you don't wipe your bum raw.

I can't think of anything in particular. There's a lot of stuff I simply can't afford whether it's subjectively expensive or not, so I just don't bother. I often buy storebrand or the cheaper name brand of household products.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The best toilet paper in my opinion is Great Value Ultra Soft. I won't buy a cheap mattress.

I think some "little" things, like shoes or a comfy bed, are the best spent money which pay huge dividends. A bad pair of shoes can literally eff' up your day and make you sick, especially so if you work on your feet.

Cheap rest stop TP will tear you right up (my kids laugh at me but that's why I bring my own TP on long road trips....‚)..and a good coffee is money well spent IMO, if coffee's your thing. Even though a can of Yuban "will do", it does not compare to a more costly craft roasted bean - there's a world of difference in flavour profile. To me coffee's like liquor, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back