Anyone bring their own oil & filter to an oil change establishment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you guys saving any money by doing this?

Where i work we recently started to offer Full Synthetic Package oil change up to 5 quarts with the Premium PLus oil filter and includes the 12 point inspection.....for 35 bucks!!!

we offer Mobil 1, Amsoil, Citgo, and Valvoline and a few others.

just think at on an average of 5 bucks a quart and then 5 quarts thats 25 bucks, then the inspection that includes tires underbody, greasing susp. components and not to mention checking batteries and things under the hood is not to bad of deal.

just a thing to research before you go out and buy everything needed.

About the only thing that i would take in for a package like this is maybe a higher quality filter even though the Premium Plus is a good filter but not suitable for extended OCI's

quote:

I think $15 is very fair considering, car on rack, raise car,move drain container under car, unscrew drain plug and drain oil, lower car, go inside & unlocok hood, raise hood, remove fill cap,put funnel in fill hole, open 4-6 quarts of oil and put in engine,replace oil cap, start engine, check for leaks, stop engine, check level, drive car to parking lot. MY CONCERN IS- IF YOU BRING IN $5.00 A QUART OIL IS THAT WHAT YOUR ENGINE WILL GET? Other have mentioned that if your not watching the work being done that some might be tempted to keep your expensive oil and put in their bulk oil.

Eddie, I considered this before I took my car to that dealer. Based on prior experience, I feel they are an honest business.

I would expect this sort of thing of dodgy, one-off "independent" shops, but what incentive would the service department of the largest Ford dealer in the area have, to engage in such practices?

Living in NYC, you don't have much time for anything! My mechanic usually charges $39.95 for an oil change. I bring in a four quarts of Mobil 1 and a Nissan filter and its done in ten minutes, for twenty-five bucks. She's the only one I trust to do any work on my car.

hominid7
Member # 8651

posted 13 February, 2006 02:59
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would love to see a place where i could rent a lift to work on my own car. I know they exist, but not in my area (that i know of). So many things i would love to do myself IF i had a nice lift to put my car on.

If i win the lotto, i'm having one installed in my house (I'll have to buy the house with lotto winnings too).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 134 | From: North Texas | Registered: Aug 2005 | IP: Logged |
I am with you brother.
worshippy.gif

A localparts/service store is offering a $9.95 oil/filter special. I was in need of an Auto R-X rinse cycle and the weather is terrible. I objected to the Pennzoil filter and they told me they would install a Fram for extra.
pat.gif
The only acceptable filter thay sold was an M1. I ended up giving them one of my $1.34 2 for 1 AA total grips bought for the purpose and ended up with a bill of $8.25.

As an aside, the "tech" called to my attention how badly I needed an air filter. It was a recently cleaned and oiled K&N. I had to get the "service manager?" what a K&N was and why I didn't need one. They sell them at that store!
frown.gif
The incident reenforced my logic for doing most of the work on my vehicles myself.

my family are well known for providing the oil come service time at the local Nissan Dealer near my parent's place.

Dad took his own oil for a service on his Elantra. Unfortunately, magnatec SP is only available in a 20 litre drum, so he decanted into an old Castrol GTX (20W-50, SF) metal tin.

They flipped until he showed them the PDS for magnatec, and the receipt for the drum of oil.

When we were dating,my wife would take her car and her own oil to a local garage sometimes to get her oil changed. SOmetimes I just didn't have the time to do it for her, and they only charged like 7 bucks!

Originally Posted by Silk
If someone comes to me with their own oil and filter I charge them 1/2 hr labour,if they bleat about it I may charge more.Part of the profit I make out of a Lube is made on the oil and filter,to do it for the same labour cost means I'm getting less money.They are usualy supplying their own oil and filter to get a cheaper deal - tough,I don't work for nothing mate....go and find someone who does.

It doesn't sound quite fair that you base your price on their behavior. Also overcharging for oil & filters probably isn't how you would prefer to be treated but hey, you might not care how you're treated.

Originally Posted by 06RANGER
I brought mine to a locally owned Chevron station and was charged $15 for labor.

How much do you pay if you bring your own oil & filter?

I bring my own oil to the dealer. I pay about $60 for their filter, labor, tire rotation, and detail job.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Someone gets a kick from recycling ancient threads.

I don't think this is the first thread this person has done this to. Then again, people always nag about "search" for answers so maybe he/she did
wink.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Someone gets a kick from recycling ancient threads.

Yeah, talk about a zombie thread....‚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back