Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Shannow
I'm utterly mind boggled by the temperatures being described here...

Me too. People who can live in that sort of environment have my utmost respect!

-35 over night temps in Prior Lake, MN during polar vortex.

2017 Ford Explorer 3.5 v6 sat outside all night NOT plugged in. Remote started it. It started within 3 seconds. Wasn't happy, but started lol. Was quite impressed.

Oil: Amsoil OE 5w20 w/1 can of 2009 mos2 liqui moly
Fuel: 88 octane w/15mil of Archoil AR6200

Many vehicles in my neighborhood did not start, oil was just too frozen, too thick or battery not enough juice.

My 2014 F-150 3.7 v6 work truck with Motorcraft 5w20, frozen block, would NOT start, with a full charged new battery. Oil too thick.

2007 6.0 powerstroke plugged in, fired right up with Delo 400 LE 5w30..w/archoil ar6200 in diesel fuel. But my power steering was a different story, sounded like it was going to EXPLODE

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ofelas
I should have bought stock in Duron...

I should have bought real estate in Arizona.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by ofelas
I should have bought stock in Duron...

I should have bought real estate in Arizona.
wink.gif

When I was a kid it always baffled me that most of the Southern border of Canada was the Northern most part of the US.

Just checking my posts since I've been gone a while.... this one reminded me of my long dead uncle Bill, he used to shovel a bucket of hot coals out of his massive coal furnace in the winter, put a lid on it, and set it under his farm tractor engine and then go have breakfast. By the time he got back it would start up with no struggle.

All of my equipment has block and oil heaters and they stay plugged in all winter my old ford 8n has no trouble starting unplugged with sae 30 in the crankcase and it is 6 volt.
The nice thing about block heaters is instant heat after starting.

Don't miss this at all and not looking forward to winter one bit! Almanac says this year's gonna be worse than last year so we shall see... Hope they're wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back