1970 Chevelle SS 396 vs Buick GS Stage 1 455

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chevelle will sell for more & has better parts support.

BOPC engines were vastly superior to Chevrolet engines back then.....They were cast, machined & built better! It wasn't really all that rare to get 200,000 out of a 429 Cadillac or a 455 Oldsmobile. Buick engines had oil pump issues like already stated.

My mom drove a 1970 Buick Electra 225 Limited 2 door for @ 28 years, Every 4 or 5 years....We had to put oil pump gears in it because to would lose prime. Pack it with Lubriplate along with a fresh Oil & Filter....Back on the road in 45 minutes. You just had to know that if the oil light didn't go out immediately after start-up to shut it down.

I used to put BOPC engines in Chevy/GMC trucks.....429/500 Cadillac's were the hardest pulling of the bunch & Oldsmobile/Pontiac 455's were the easiest because the oil filter location.

Chris: had one of these back when … what I remember well was it's ability to down shift and overtake another vehicle at highway speeds

824B966E-EC0D-43F4-8B22-C4B4A178C789.jpeg

As stated above, there was a very short period for the biggest HP/C.I. big blocks, before the emission window started closing, pretty rapidly in '73 or so. Rust claimed a lot of them, but a few have survived around here.

To the OP's question, of those two choices look for a Buick GS 455. The ss396 is a great looking car, the 1970 is the most iconic of the Chevelles, but I think the market for them saturated quite a while ago. I doubt I could sell mine for more than I bought it for about 13 years ago. Advantages of Chevelle are greater parts availability, ability to mod engine(if that is your thing) and you could likely get a very nice restored SS396 L34 350 hp for less than a comparably nice/original GS455. Obviously, the 375hp solid lifter 396 is more rare and expensive but notably stronger car. The 350hp 396 is a nice torquey motor but it is not in the same league as a 455 Buick or a 454 Chevrolet.
The GS455, like some of the other BOPs, have been increasing in value over the past several years. Where they will peak, who knows? With these old cars its ultimately about what you like. You shouldn't really be looking at them as an investment.
If I could trade my Chevelle for a comparable 1970 GS455 4 speed I probably would.

The 65, 66 and 67 A bodies were the best looking. Period.
I had a 70 Corvette Coupe (hate coupes) with a 70 CRR Chevelle engine.
That was the legendary 454/450 LS-6 with Turbo 400.
Car was dangerous. 4 mpg.

Unless I thought I was going to keep it forever, I would go with the Chevelle which has a larger market for when you want to sell.

Originally Posted by gman2304
kstanf150 said:
Buick 455 will eat that Chevy 396 everyday all day !![/quote
A more fair comparison would be the Buick 455 GSX vs the Chevy 454 LS6. The 1970 396 and the LS5 454's were slugs.
IIRC the 1970 GSX was one of the fastest muscle cars ever. Right up there with the Hemi in 1970.

The 455 GSX is where I'd bet my money

Originally Posted by ls1mike
The Buick for me. I have always loved those.

I agree! I would love to park a Buick GS next to my 87 Buick GN....I would then have the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Buick 455 will eat that Chevy 396 everyday all day !!

Yep. Many small blocks too. If you were cruising Saturday night and a guy with a hot 327 or 340 Mopar threw a rev at a light you had better be on your toes when the light turns green.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Buick 455 will eat that Chevy 396 everyday all day !!

Yep. Many small blocks too. If you were cruising Saturday night and a guy with a hot 327 or 340 Mopar threw a rev at a light you had better be on your toes when the light turns green.

My father was a huge Buick lover. When I was kid he had two cars with 455's. In stock trim they were fast, never remember him getting out run

Both are pinnacle muscle cars, and you can't go wrong with either one. But for me, I'd have to lean toward the Buick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back