Exhaust donut leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am installing a new cat on my 2000 Honda CR-V and the exhaust donut is leaking. I had to reuse the old one, because the new one was slightly larger and didn't fit on the exhaust flush. Two questions, is it ok to drive the car for a little while with a leaking exhaust donut(it is leaking all over the gasket)? Secondly the donut is literally leaking all over, is that normal for a bad donut to leak all the way around?

It's not ideal, but if you need to drive it without the donut installed then do it. I'm sure you won't like the noise. Are you going to get a OEM part or another aftermarket?

I find the aftermarket ones only last a couple of years in the rust belt.

Sintered iron or graphite?

I've found the old gasket gets really impressed into what's left of the exhaust "funnels" and needs particular care in complete removal.

I don't know which one it is, it's the one with small strands it in. The old gasket appeared to have the smooth mating layer worn off. (Most likely why it was leaking) so I got one from advance and am going to put in on in the morning.

I could only find a gasket from advance auto, I put it on this morning, and it still leaks. Maybe I am not tightening the bolts right. How do you tighten the two bolts for the flange. I might have the bolts reveresed. Are the bolts with the springs suppose to be facing the catalytic converter, or the engine?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back