RAV4 Moose test - Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by Skippy722
All the sitting taller thing does is perpetuate the cycle of ever bigger vehicles... .

Actually there's a scientifically recognized advantage to sitting higher. The closer you are to the road the greater the perception of things rushing past on your right and left increases and that can increase stress and focus problems and the less you're aware of conditions ahead. The higher you are your awareness of the situation in front of you increases, a good thing. Read about it in one of the car mags recently, it's not just a soccer mom thing.

So if that is true, I'm surprised Formula 1 doesn't perch their drivers 2 feet above the car, instead of almost sitting on the road. Also, I hate being behind tall vehicles on the road, and miss the days when hardly anyone drove a truck, or SUV. Someday everyone will be driving a Semi-truck, and complain about fuel economy, braking, and handling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
SUV's are just trucks with more creature comforts. Why do people expect them to handle like cars, then get all bent out of shape when they don't.

This is an emergency maneuvering test - not a handling test, so you wouldn't want any of the wheels off the ground in an emergency situation like this. This is why some manufacturers need to reprogram their stability control.

Originally Posted by Leo99
How did other CUVs and cars fare in this test?

Watch the video and you'll find the answer, not all of them but some of the best in its class.

Originally Posted by Traction
So if that is true, I'm surprised Formula 1 doesn't perch their drivers 2 feet above the car, .

Not a very good example. F1 drivers are focused on going as fast as possible around a known course without all the random chaos of on road driving that a driver has to try to keep up with. Aerodynamics and probably safety dictate the shape of F1 cars.

I didn't make this up, it was in an article in something like C&D.

Originally Posted by atikovi
SUV's are just trucks with more creature comforts. Why do people expect them to handle like cars, then get all bent out of shape when they don't.

Mine handles like a car. Maybe you just have experiences with lame SUVs?

Cx5 similar to mine:

BMW 3 series with MSport suspension for comparison...not any faster than the cx5.

We're good. No mooses in my neck of the woods!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by RayCJ

crackmeup2.gif

To be fair, many wrecks happen dodging cats and dogs and the like.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Most road obstacles are best dealt with the brakes, and not the wheel. This is one of the first lessons truckers are taught.

Agreed. If only people were perfect, and always made the best decision, and kids didnt play in da skreets, and...

Originally Posted by Ws6
Most road obstacles are best dealt with the brakes, and not the wheel. This is one of the first lessons truckers are taught.

Agreed. If only people were perfect, and always made the best decision, and kids didnt play in da skreets, and...

Dittos on the braking. In the times I've really had to swerve to avoid hitting something or someone I used the brakes and steered both.

This test is not really a good one for a realistic situation like avoiding a animal or person or other object. The test driver sees the cone and anticipates the maneuver. In a real situation your instinct kicks in as the encounter will be a total surprise.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Ws6

Dittos on the braking. In the times I've really had to swerve to avoid hitting something or someone I used the brakes and steered both.

This test is not really a good one for a realistic situation like avoiding a animal or person or other object. The test driver sees the cone and anticipates the maneuver. In a real situation your instinct kicks in as the encounter will be a total surprise.

You cannot test the human empirically, just the vehicle, but the human will do the same in either vehicle, so it is a meaningful datapoint, how the vehicle itself responds to input.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by RayCJ

crackmeup2.gif

My (dotted line) boss was hospitalized when a long legged moose landed on his Camry hood/windshield … He bought a 4WD Silverado after recovery … not to dodge an animal better … but to get closer to it's height

Originally Posted by Ws6
Also from drivers trying to dodge a bee or wasp in the cabin.

Considering "feedback" typical Toyota has on the steering wheel, I am not sure how they manage to enter between cones in the first place.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Cx5 similar to mine:
BMW 3 series with MSport suspension for comparison...not any faster than the cx5.

That's crazy!

Kudos to Mazda, WHOAH!

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Ws6

Cx5 similar to mine:

That's crazy!

Kudos to Mazda, WHOAH!

Yup. And that was just the FWD model...love how my AWD turbo handles, and that's coming from a Z06 and 370Z. It has lower limits, for sure, but the DYNAMICS are awesome as heck for something with 7.5" of ground clearance!

The BMW M2 Comp package will hang with my SUV in this test, though.

Likewise, the Audi TT RS performs similarly to the CX5.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Considering "feedback" typical Toyota has on the steering wheel, I am not sure how they manage to enter between cones in the first place.

edyvw… been kinda wondering … what makes you such a big Toyota fan ? Just wanting to fit in well on this site ?

Originally Posted by 4WD

edyvw… been kinda wondering … what makes you such a big Toyota fan ? Just wanting to fit in well on this site ?

Probably because they are typically well made, reliable vehicles, even if that reliability just means delivering an underwhelming experience day after day, year after year, lol!

Originally Posted by 4WD

Anything he says has to be taken with five pounds of salt. Case in point, bragging about doing 130 on the interstate. Ya sure, you betcha.

The internet is a real distortion chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back