Anything to look out for on 2011 Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter needs a cheaper car. Going to look at a 2011 Ford Fusion with the 6 cyl. Are there any trouble spots on this car or is there anything I should look out for other than the standard used car check over?

Make sure the AC and heat works-- there's a temp sensor way behind the dash that goes out all the time.

Also check all the brake rotors inside and out-- lots of sticky pads, caliper slides, etc.

Transmissions seem to go out rather frequently, judging by the ones for sale near me.

That all said, they're nice cars.

find out which V6... mostly they have the old Duratec 3.0, but the Sport Models got the 3.5..
and as for transmissions... according to Wikipedia(i think they have it backwards.. but i could be wrong..), the 3.0 got the 6f35, while the 3.5 got an Asin unit..

if it's the 3.5, if ti has more than 90k mi, see if the waterpump has been changed... this engine has an internal, chain driven pump. when it fails, water dumps right in the sump... b/c of how inaccessible it is (down in the valley), it can be up to a $2k job to replace the pump. (or $5k for a new engine) it's also a "while i'm in here" job for the Timing chain, and oil pump. b/c they're right there.

Yikes! 2 grand for a water pump?! I will definitely avoid the 3.5 then, or, as you said, make sure it has been changed. The car has 107k on it. Thanks for the info earlyre!

Does it have to be a V6?

I'd think the 4cyl would be an easier find and probably easier and cheaper to maintain. They do seem like pretty solid cars. I see lots of 2006-2012's in my area still holding up well.

Get the 2.5L 4 cyl... it's the Mazda MZR engine. This engine has been proven to be nearly trouble-free given minimal care and feeding, and in general provides stellar UOAs and engine life. Mine went as far as 17.2k on PUP, but I would probably dial things back to the 13-15k range (or just OLM @ ~10k if she's not mechanically inclined). In 115k of ownership, it needed a grand total of: 2 sets of rear pads and rotors. That's it. I went ahead and changed the thermostat @ 100k just because, but it didn't fail. I did do a couple D&Fs on the 6F35 with Amsoil ATL, and obviously oil & filter changes. I used the XG3600 size, which comes right against the belly pan. 3614 is the "normal" size.

One thing of note, especially if she's up there with you for Mitten winters... she'll need a GOOD set of snows, I'd recommend Blizzaks. I had a highly rated set of all-weathers on mine, and even the first winter with less than 6k on the tires, I was less than smitten with how the car reacted. Other than that, and as proven by some of the other members here on the board, the 2009-2012 Fusion with the 2.5 is most definitely a 300k-capable vehicle with just basic care. Just remember the mantra for the 6F35- change the fluid early and often, and make sure to force the shift logic to reset after each fluid exchange. I wouldn't use a flush machine, just drop the belly pan the first time, and mark the belly pan where the trans drain plug is. I punched a 1" hole in mine with a paddle bit so I could remove the plug without ever removing the belly pan again.

Water pump seems to be the biggest issue on transverse Ford V6s from that I've read here. I think some Fusions use the Aisin 6-speed, others will use the 6F35.

I think the 2006-2009 V6 used the Aisin. Some of the 4 cylinders may have used a 5 Speed Unit. It seems as though the 07,08, and 09 were pretty reliable. I think they did a redesign in 2010.

You can also keep an eye out for the late first gen Mazda 6 v6 (05-08), it came in a sedan, hatch and wagon and used the same 3.0 v6 and 6 speed transmission as the Ford.

You should be able to find a hybrid Fusion at a good price. And they get good mpg too
smile.gif

You were right on this one bdcardinal! Door handle broke within 2 months. Luckily it was a $12 part and a 30 min. fix.

The wife had a 2010 with the 4 cylinder and it was a great car. I believe it had about 75K miles on it.
No problems whatsoever until somebody ran a red light and hit her totaling the car. Thankfully no injuries and another plus was my body man said it held up pretty well for the impact and said it is a pretty safe car.

Come on now, a 9+ year old hybrid? Better off with the 3.0 NA v6, it was pretty bulletproof and made acceptable power for the displacement.

Try to find one that's had the spark plugs replaced if you can, the back 3 are a bear. You are supposed to take the intake manifold off but you can do them with a wobble and enough extensions, at least on the wagon version of the Mazda6 from that gen. Also the Mazda6 v6 of this gen is pretty much the exact same car, so a cheap one of those would serve just as well if you don't need AWD. My 06 Mazda6 v6 wagon was a great car to 155,000 miles +, only repairs were a set of front wheel bearings and a replacement air intake tube when the original cracked from age/heat.

Family had a 2009 Fusion 3.0 V6 and it was a very good car. I can tell you that with basic maintenance they live a long life and the body can hold up well in an accident. This car was in two major accidents. It died with 285,000 miles due to an accident. The Aisin Warner transmission is a great transmission. And the 3.0 V6 always ran like a top.

Just picked up a 2011 Sport and hope to have good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back