I want a used Land Rover LR4

Hey folks.
Please tell me why I should or should not buy a used (2014-16) Land Rover LR4 reliability wise.
This car sits in my head for a while now.

Both my nieces got new '14 LR4's. They both became very familiar with loaner vehicles. One is still persevering despite the struggle.

Land Rovers are the reason why Toyota Land Cruisers became very popular and outsold them 20:1

They do however have an aura and looks of ruggedness, but it's only make believe.

If you do get one, buy a set of tools at the same time.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
Parts are very expensive and often not available quickly.

^^^^^^^

Also, not every mechanic can work on them competently. Family member is mechanic and despises working on them. He has 40 years of experience. However; they are nice vehicles and have great potential for 4x4.

Check out Mercedes Power G Wagons.....(expensive parts too)

Thx folks, that's exactly what I was expecting haha.
Gonna keep my Kia

Of all the opinions, how many have actually owned one?
smile.gif

I have had three recent RR's since 2011; 2 RR Sports and my current is a '17 full size RR HSE turbodiesel. As much as I liked the brand and was happy when they returned to the NAS market, I would never buy one until their reliability and quality improved. Then, after two needy and disappointing Grand Cherokees and a SAAB 97 (Trailblazer w/ SAAB badges...fit and finish durability that compared to a Chevette), I figured that if I was going to deal with their level of issues, I would get what I truly wanted.

Earlier LR/RR's certainly have a well deserved reputation for pain....

The Sports were good, both had a few minor issues at first, but soldiered on to nearly 100K each. The interior quality is excellent and they rode as quiet and solid as new. My current RR has been great, needing only a few software updates and a suspension air pump in ~44K miles. Friends who own late model vehicles have had similar experiences. All said, their reliability is fine now, but still I don't have the urge to own one past say 100K miles.

LR will never have Honda or Toyota quality levels, they can't for a lot of reasons, but they are very nice, very capable vehicles. You are right to do some research, so I'd also try to talk to other owners, don't get scared off by second (third?) hand rumors. Find a reputable local independent LR mechanic. If you want one, I wouldn't be afraid of a recent, low mileage one.

Ironically, the absolute worse family car that we ever owned was an ML320.....

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Of all the opinions, how many have actually owned one?
smile.gif

I've owned a few LR's. I currently own several vehicles that plenty say are a ticking time bomb, and shy away from. Some vehicles really are potentially more problematic.

As a former master tech I know what had issues when I was still working on consumer cars. I have a few friends and former colleagues that work at LR dealers. They like LR's because they mean a steady paycheck, but they won't own them themselves.

When my BIL was looking for vehicles for his daughters, he told me what he was thinking of buying. I told him there was a high likelihood of having issues with the models he was considering. Knowing that, he bought them anyway as being a dealer himself, and being friends with the LR dealer owner who wanted a vehicle make my BIL sold, he could get a deal.

It is what it is. Both Nieces have had issues, one got tired of the issues and got rid of it.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Ironically, the absolute worse family car that we ever owned was an ML320.....

Woooo! Go BAMA! 1980s K-10 mud truck quality in your Mercedes luxury SUV.
lol.gif

2013+ LR4 is quite reliable for a LandRover. 5.0 V8 is mostly ford based. I would say it's a great choice if you have to own a Land Rover. It won't be a Lexus LX570 in terms of quality but I think you already knew that.

I love my LR3, have nearly 200k on it and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country off roading even today. One of the best, if not the best, vehicles I've ever owned. Such a great road trip vehicle but so capable off road.

Most of the haters have never owned one - take their opinions with a grain of salt.

I've never even sat in an LR4, which by BITOG standards makes me an indisputable expert on all things Land Rover. Accordingly, I must tell you an LR4 is a piece of junk! Do you even need an SUV? You'd be much better served paying cash for a decades old Camry, Crown Vic, or Grand Marquis.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I've never even sat in an LR4, which by BITOG standards makes me an indisputable expert on all things Land Rover. Accordingly, I must tell you an LR4 is a piece of junk! Do you even need an SUV? You'd be much better served paying cash for a decades old Camry, Crown Vic, or Grand Marquis.

Sure, just because you only live one life doesn't mean that you shouldn't spend many hours of it in penalty boxes instead of what you'd really like to drive.
I'd suggest that the OP find some RR boards and decide whether he wants to deal with whatever issues these things may have, if they have any.
Few here can impart as much information as can any dedicated marque board.

Mcompact was being sarcastic (I hope). But the inside of the LR4 is really quite luxurious and the right used offer can be downright cheap to purchase. Relative has 2011 model with over 100k and the leather and all that is still great. It does go through gas and tires fast. This example in my immediate reach has not has any issues in a year their ownership.

Originally Posted by dareo
Mcompact was being sarcastic (I hope).

Yes I was- but what's so amazing is that a large percentage of BITOG members would almost certainly agree with my post.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by dareo
Mcompact was being sarcastic (I hope).

Yes I was- but what's so amazing is that a large percentage of BITOG members would almost certainly agree with my post.

Camry is love, Camry is life.
02.gif

People are happiest doing what they want, even if it's absolutely stupid.

That being said, go drive an LR4 and see if you like it and want one. Simple 'nuff.

Back