RAV4 Moose test - Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this. I think Toyota needs to reprogram its ESP system especially when it's fully loaded

What do you think?

I didn't watch. The picture tells the story. How did other CUVs and cars fare in this test?

Originally Posted by JLTD
Raising a couple wheels, but it seemed under control the whole time....or maybe I missed something?

Once the wheels are up, it will roll over unless you reverse your input.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Raising a couple wheels, but it seemed under control the whole time....or maybe I missed something?

Yes you did. The rav 4 only achieved 65-68 km/h on that test and was almost out of control, while Kia and Nissan counterparts did it around 80km/h and were much better composed.

This test is quite relevant for emergency avoidance maneuvers.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I didn't watch. The picture tells the story. How did other CUVs and cars fare in this test?

This was answered if you watch.

Toyota can potentially fix it by sending it to test track and spending more time on ESP programming with engineers.

They have electric steering control to counter a rollover.

Originally Posted by KrisZ

Yes you did. The rav 4 only achieved 65-68 km/h on that test and was almost out of control, while Kia and Nissan counterparts did it around 80km/h and were much better composed.
This test is quite relevant for emergency avoidance maneuvers.

Fascinating!

Originally Posted by billt460
I was waiting for a picture to load that showed what it looked like after hitting a Moose.

That was exactly what I was expecting, too...

HERE YA GO: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newf...ts-moose-but-can-t-remember-it-1.3126446

Originally Posted by Pelican
I think that any vehicle with more than 3" of ground clearance would fail. Bolt on a Moose catcher and call it Bull's Eye !

Toyota RAV4 sucks at abrupt moves. Take a peek at recent Jeep Grand Cherokee at higher speed eloquently:

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
SUV's are just trucks with more creature comforts. Why do people expect them to handle like cars, then get all bent out of shape when they don't.

Actually, very few of modern SUVs are body on frame, aka trucks with more creature comforts.

Most are now unibody construction, usually based on a a compact car platform at that. So while they will naturally handle a bit worse due to the higher center of gravity, they should not handle like total garbage either. with modern stability control and power control systems in place, there is no excuse for that.

Whether they are body on frame or unibody isn't the point. Most people seem to like them because they sit taller than cars and they have a better view over traffic. For that, they will be higher and handle more like trucks.

Whether they are body on frame or unibody isn't the point. Most people seem to like them because they sit taller than cars and they have a better view over traffic. For that, they will be higher and handle more like trucks.

If you watched the video, and have ever watched other videos showing similar emergency handling maneuvers, you will see that most SUV's can handle this test just fine. So the RAV4 doesn't deserve a "Pass" just because it is an SUV. We should be able to expect it to handle just as well as the others. At least as well.

Toyota has one of the best automotive design and testing facilities in the industry. It would seem that they would design and test their cars to make sure they will be capable of meeting the standards used by the more prominent independent testing groups. It is hard to imagine that they don't take into consideration testing that will be done by groups like CU and such.

Last edited:

All the sitting taller thing does is perpetuate the cycle of ever bigger vehicles... people by bigger vehicles to have a better view, once everyone has that we are right back where we started, so now they go buy an even bigger vehicle to they can see again... rinse and repeat.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
All the sitting taller thing does is perpetuate the cycle of ever bigger vehicles... .

Actually there's a scientifically recognized advantage to sitting higher. The closer you are to the road the greater the perception of things rushing past on your right and left increases and that can increase stress and focus problems and the less you're aware of conditions ahead. The higher you are your awareness of the situation in front of you increases, a good thing. Read about it in one of the car mags recently, it's not just a soccer mom thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back