Thinking about a Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about a new Cherokee when the time comes. I haven't test driven one yet, but would lean toward the 2.0T engine or possibly the 3.2 V6. Not interested in the 2.4. What is the general impression of the latest generation of Cherokees engine wise and reliability wise?

Thanks

When I saw that Jeep was bringing back a Cherokee and it would have a 270HP V6, I was thinking hard about replacing my '06 RAV6 and immediately thought "I'm buying one of those!"
Went to the test drive with the same thought...I was pleased the salesman let me take it out on my own, but then I started asking about setting it in Sport mode.
He got very serious and pointed his finger at me like I was 8 years old..."HEY...don't you break that car while you have it out! Don't mess with any of the switches, just leave them alone."
Pretty serious 'tude and I probably should have just left...but, I figured it wasn't my vehicle and I should do what he asked.
The test drive was seriously uninspiring for me...I wondered if maybe they gave me a 4 cylinder to drive by accident (they hadn't). Little pep and the tranny didn't seem to want to shift.
Of course, I was wondering if Sport mode would have made a difference...didn't really care after a few miles.

That was just my impression, anybody who has an interest in a vehicle should drive one and see how it feels to them.
The 9 speed auto tranny in the Cherokee had a lot of issues in the 2014 vehicles, I would assume things have improved but it's worth investigating.
I sure didn't hit gold with the CVT in my 2014 FXT, it's had a major repair already and it was good for me that Subaru upped the warranty mileage on it to 100,000. I'm around 107,000 miles now and on my own with that thing!
The CVT was updated during the 2015 model year with a new filter, unfortunately it can't be retrofitted into older vehicles.

Don't know much about Jeep's new 2.0l turbo, maybe it would make the Cherokee more lively...??

The funniest part of my Cherokee test drive was when I went back to the dealer and told the salesman the V6 hadn't impressed me at all...he frowned and then nudged his buddy and joked, "Gotta be better than the 4 banger in your Toyota, right?"
While they doubled over with laughter, I told the guy that I had the 270HP 3.5l V6....they laughed even harder!
I shrugged and left without a word...I noticed they were watching me out the window when I drove away and I did the best launch I could (safely, no traffic) out of their parking lot as I waved goodbye!

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
When I saw that Jeep was bringing back a Cherokee and it would have a 270HP V6, I was thinking hard about replacing my '06 RAV6 and immediately thought "I'm buying one of those!"
Went to the test drive with the same thought...I was pleased the salesman let me take it out on my own, but then I started asking about setting it in Sport mode.
He got very serious and pointed his finger at me like I was 8 years old..."HEY...don't you break that car while you have it out! Don't mess with any of the switches, just leave them alone."
Pretty serious 'tude and I probably should have just left...but, I figured it wasn't my vehicle and I should do what he asked.
The test drive was seriously uninspiring for me...I wondered if maybe they gave me a 4 cylinder to drive by accident (they hadn't). Little pep and the tranny didn't seem to want to shift.
Of course, I was wondering if Sport mode would have made a difference...didn't really care after a few miles.

That was just my impression, anybody who has an interest in a vehicle should drive one and see how it feels to them.
The 9 speed auto tranny in the Cherokee had a lot of issues in the 2014 vehicles, I would assume things have improved but it's worth investigating.
I sure didn't hit gold with the CVT in my 2014 FXT, it's had a major repair already and it was good for me that Subaru upped the warranty mileage on it to 100,000. I'm around 107,000 miles now and on my own with that thing!
The CVT was updated during the 2015 model year with a new filter, unfortunately it can't be retrofitted into older vehicles.

Don't know much about Jeep's new 2.0l turbo, maybe it would make the Cherokee more lively...??

The funniest part of my Cherokee test drive was when I went back to the dealer and told the salesman the V6 hadn't impressed me at all...he frowned and then nudged his buddy and joked, "Gotta be better than the 4 banger in your Toyota, right?"
While they doubled over with laughter, I told the guy that I had the 270HP 3.5l V6....they laughed even harder!
I shrugged and left without a word...I noticed they were watching me out the window when I drove away and I did the best launch I could (safely, no traffic) out of their parking lot as I waved goodbye!

Some car salesmen are seriously in the wrong line of work. If he had pulled that "don't break it" crap with me I would have taken a 180 and gone straight back to the dealership & announced "Any salesmen actually interested in selling a car today??".
crazy.gif

I work at a Jeep store.
The 3.2L is reliable along with the 9-speed - newer models - as mentioned.
2.0T is too new to get a feel on reliability.
The Cherokee is a very popular model.
If you like the looks and capability of the Trailhawk trim, take it for an overnight test drive.
It can feel a little rough over bumps to some.

I rode in a coworkers Cherokee last year, not impressed overall. Interior was nice but his was totally decked out and probably was $40k+ however it was a total appliance and was just not as impressive to ride in as I would have expected.
On the other hand, I rode in a friend's new honda pilot recently, mid tier model, really nice to ride in and interior was overall very functional/nice.

The Cherokee has turned into a great 4wd SUV. It has plenty of power, the transmission issues were corrected back in 2014, and the Trailhawk model has some real off-road chops. Heck, the base AWD version has a locking center differential that makes it superior to its crossover competition. The Trailhawk has locking front and rear diffs. Check out TFL's review of the Trailhawk on YouTube. Everybody I've met who owns one loves it. They are popular in the overlanding community, as well.

I've found that most people out there that bash Jeeps, especially the Fiat Jeeps, haven't owned one. I've heard all kinds of crap about the Renegade, and ours has been great, so far, especially its 4wd system. The new Wrangler has turned out to be the best ever. Think about that. Fiat has produced the best, most faithful, and most capable Wrangler of all of them. So far, it's been the highest quality, as well. (All of them have been better than my Ford Transit. No comparison.)

I wouldn't hesitate to look at a Cherokee, especially a Trailhawk.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I wouldn't hesitate to look at a Cherokee, especially a Trailhawk.

I have a friend who's upgraded to the Trailhawk recently, after his ex took the last one they had after they split.
They were both brand new models, so I cannot comment on reliability/durability.
He seemed pleased with it the last time I saw him.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

I hope that wasn't Bournival Jeep along the coast in Portsmouth.
Worst dealer on the planet. Actually they all are Pirates along route 1
wink.gif

I would try the cute Renegade made in italy with a real transmission and the big Multijet engine. Plenty of horsepower. More than a 4BBL 5.0 V8 Mustang in the mid 80's.

Build quality looks impressive. Throttle-less Engine technically looks ... scary!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
It's a Fiat with a Jeep nameplate no?

No

Willy's?

Originally Posted by wbwanzer
I'm thinking about a new Cherokee when the time comes. I haven't test driven one yet, but would lean toward the 2.0T engine or possibly the 3.2 V6. Not interested in the 2.4. What is the general impression of the latest generation of Cherokees engine wise and reliability wise?

Thanks

It's a Chrysler. I'd never own any FCA product unless it were an SRT item and a toy. Not something to count on.

For on road in this price range? Cx5 turbo, no question. For offroad? 4Runner.

Originally Posted by Ws6

It's a Chrysler. I'd never own any FCA product unless it were an SRT item and a toy. Not something to count on.

Yeah we know; you hate Chrysler and think everyone should drive a CX-5. Do you ever get tired of posting the same thing repeatedly?

WS6 is dude in a Girly looking car.

"Ohh my life changing every day ... I've never felt like this befoooore .... OOOOH Ahhhh!

Sorry.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by Ws6

Yeah we know; you hate Chrysler and think everyone should drive a CX-5. Do you ever get tired of posting the same thing repeatedly?

He probably needs the repetition. It's his routine, pump iron, tell someone how great the CC-5 is. Repeat 10-12 times, three sets of each, with 30 second breaks between sets.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by Ws6

He probably needs the repetition. It's his routine, pump iron, tell someone how great the CC-5 is. Repeat 10-12 times, three sets of each, with 30 second breaks between sets.

Lol, what the heck? CX5? That's a car. If even dirt roads are planned, the Jeep's 4x4 system on any of them, even the Compass, is better.

4 Runners are great but way up there in price. I'd still take a Cherokee Trailhawk with lockers over a 4 Runner.

You can get the 2.0 turbo in the Cherokee now. That's a powerhouse. It would change the game in the Cherokee. I'd still go for the baby Pentastar, but that 2.0 is a torque monster. I'd imagine the Cherokee with that engine would be outstanding throughout the whole powerband and it would return decent mileage, too. I drove a 4 door Wrangler with one and was quite impressed. Guys in the Jeep club are reporting 24 to 25 highway mpg with JL's with lifts and 33's and 22-23 with 35's.

Originally Posted by Ws6

The truth never gets old. FCA is unreliable.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by Ws6

Lol, what the heck? CX5? That's a car. If even dirt roads are planned, the Jeep's 4x4 system on any of them, even the Compass, is better.

4 Runners are great but way up there in price. I'd still take a Cherokee Trailhawk with lockers over a 4 Runner.

You can get the 2.0 turbo in the Cherokee now. That's a powerhouse. It would change the game in the Cherokee. I'd still go for the baby Pentastar, but that 2.0 is a torque monster. I'd imagine the Cherokee with that engine would be outstanding throughout the whole powerband and it would return decent mileage, too. I drove a 4 door Wrangler with one and was quite impressed. Guys in the Jeep club are reporting 24 to 25 highway mpg with JL's with lifts and 33's and 22-23 with 35's.

I have thousands of miles on dirt and gravel roads with 30% grade, etc. On my CX5s. They work fine. Where the jeep does better is a high bias situation like rock crawling. Snow, dirt, etc. The cx5 does amazing.
The 4Runner wont break all the time=a win in the long term regarding cost and inconvenience.

I've owned Jeep. One with a real 4WD that has front and rear ELSDs and all time awd with infinite variable torque split (QD2). Not some little car without front and rear lockers. I can tell you exactly how it does compared to the cx5, etc. and the little car does 100% just as well, until you get into rock climbing or deep sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back