2007 Chevy colorado TMPS (chevy mechanics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have a 2007 chevy Colorado, no remote and has roll up windows, you initiate tmps learn by light witch movement 4 times. I also bought a TMPS reset tool.

I installed 4 new tpms sensors Mobiletron brand , that is programed for this vehicle. Tires are at 35psi, I do the relearn procedure but low tire light doesn't go off, I took to a Shop and they used their more sophisticated scan tool, and redid the relearn procedure, and the tool read all the sensors and he said the truck is reading the sensors, and said just drive the vehicle.

How long do you have to drive the vehicle?

I even reconnected the battery on the truck, after I did the relearn procedure, and the low tire light went out for 1 mile and came back on.

What is beginning to suck, I bought these sensors, to let tire store install while mounting new tires, and they wouldn't install my sensors, so I had to do myself, took 1.5 hours. They said they cant install as they cant warranty, well, a waiver agreement, I would have solved that issue, but I think its more , they miss the profit margin of selling their own part. I also went to 2 other stores to install, and would considered buying tires from them if they mounted them as part of the deal. But They wanted 80 to $100 to install my sensors, and their tires were $100 more(not ideal). Again I chose to install sensors my self, cause it would have ate up any savings. But I haven't installed new tires yet, trying to get the tpms to work first.

Low tire light still on driven 10 miles, I hear in some places 70 to 100 miles, but Ive had this truck 150,000 miles, and not had a tpms sensor issue where conditions are correct and should work.

Did you try raising the tire pressures a few PSIG higher to see if that gets the light to clear?

Sounds like it's just the low tire press icon/light lighting up and not the separate TPMS light that indicates a system problem?

Out of curiosity, I looked up some reviews of this brand of sensor and found some good and an equal amount of bad. One in particular said that one sensor would work intermittently setting off a light. Is it possible that you have a defective sensor sending an intermittent signal? Maybe that's why they can see a signal when checking. I really can't think of any reason that the light would be coming on if it's receiving a good signal.

Start by finding a shop who's scan tool can read tpms codes and data - and see what it's trying to tell you.

You have a 2007, so you don't really need it. Just pull the bulb
27.gif

Originally Posted by JTK
Did you try raising the tire pressures a few PSIG higher to see if that gets the light to clear?

Sounds like it's just the low tire press icon/light lighting up and not the separate TPMS light that indicates a system problem?

Yes went up to about 38 psi (No dice), also service tmps light is not on, only low tire light is on

Originally Posted by The_Eric
Start by finding a shop who's scan tool can read tpms codes and data - and see what it's trying to tell you.

I took it too a Tire place, and they used their scanner , and I saw they had all the serial numbers on their scanner, and the scanner said drive the vehicle, but he said the truck was reading the sensors.

Its been driven all week atleast 25 miles, multiple days

Originally Posted by JTK

Yes you are right, if the sensors aren't read right, you'll get a service tmps message shortly, but not getting that, only low tire light.

Im about to buy new tires, so was trying to solve beforehand, these are pull through type valves, not sure if can remove with out damage for return, or just live with low tire light, being the truck was 12 years old the tire light had been on for a couple years.

I think you can retrieve the specific codes that are setting the TPMS light with an advanced OBDII scanner/reader.

I'd live with the light if it's a ton of money to fix, but it sure is nice having a warning light free dash.

Originally Posted by JTK
I think you can retrieve the specific codes that are setting the TPMS light with an advanced OBDII scanner/reader.

I'd live with the light if it's a ton of money to fix, but it sure is nice having a warning light free dash.

Correct - that was what I was trying to get OP to do. Sounds like they just looked at data instead of checking for DTCs.

Being an 07, I would fully expect to see a code for low battery.

Originally Posted by The_Eric
Originally Posted by JTK

Correct - that was what I was trying to get OP to do. Sounds like they just looked at data instead of checking for DTCs.

Being an 07, I would fully expect to see a code for low battery.

Ive never seen a low battery notice, but maybe its in the codes, but Battery disconnect from my experience clears all codes on this vehicle that are no longer valid. and that didn't work

The original sensors (12 years old), when started failing gave a Service tmps notification. When I tried the relearn procedure, just for some education because buying new sensors, by turning the light 4 times, the tmps notification never came back on, just the low tire light.

Once new sensors were installed , I did the complete relearn procedure several times, one time I messed up the procedure, and was out of time to redo, driving the vehicle a few miles the tpms notification popped up, so redid the relearn procedure and that went away, and has not returned, this was done well before I ever took it too a mechanic/ tire shop and have them do the relearn procedure with their more advanced scan tool. The low tire light was still on, but the said vehicle just needs to be driven, which it has been for the last week.

But I asked them at the time, when they said the vehicle is reading the sensors, if their wasn't a more advanced OB2 scanner tool , that needed to be plugged in , and he said this scanner does the same thing.

Im getting tires replaced by firestone, maybe they have a better scanner, like you mention, but I did see the serial numbers pop up on the mechanics shop scanner, and he said vehicle is reading them.

But if you are saying, they can directly plug in with ob2 scan tool, and do something under tpms section, I will Press for that to Happen?

Last edited:
Mobiletron has offered to send me another set of sensors. The problem is I have to install myself. Firsestone where Im going to get tires, wont install customer provide parts, and everywhere else wants $100.

That's the reason I installed them myself the first time, but Not looking for that labor again, especially if sensors that aren't going to work properly. That would really kill me.

so Im kind of stuck, it seems, Id rather to just take a loss on the sensors, verses remounting another set , that simply don't work.

Im thinking of trying the relearn procedure, by dropping air pressure , than using the sensor igniter tool , Ive not tried that.

On my scan tool if I'm seeing sensor id numbers and pressure, I'm not seeing trouble codes - that's a separate menu. If there is a warning light in the dash beyond "low tire" or equivalent, I'd figure it would have a code to aide in diagnosing it, but I've been wrong before.

Im going to see if I can get someone to look at any codes related to tpms, But disconnecting the battery does get rid of the low tire light for 1/2 mile or so , then it comes back.

The vehicle is detecting pressure, I did the relearn with air reduction today , and every tire beeped, but still have low tire light(aired back up to 38 psi) ,( but only drove 5 miles thus far), maybe its the drive part of the sensors not working, don't know.

Update

Took vehicle to another tire dealer, with their scanner one sensor could not read pressure at all, so that's probably it.

Anyway Mobiletron sending me another sensor , I can break down one tire with out too much agony, But I think this is the resolve.

Last edited:
One thing I don't quite understand, is how that sensor was able to relearn properly by letting out air, if it reads zero pressure, I just did a pressure drop relearn the other day on that sensor and it went through fine(BEEP).

Something seems odd, as in how did the sensor SEND out the pressure drop if it reads zero?

weird, but I'll replace that sensor and try it again.

The Chevrolet Colorado, my father has a 05' with 450k miles, 3.5, 5 cylinder.
Everything on that truck has been replaced at least once (except the rear end & tranny).
If you have any questions about the truck, I know when stuff will go out, and how the repair was done.
The tire sensors when we replaced, we swapped sensors (battery disconnected), dropped pressure across the board to 15 psi. Re attached battery and filled to 32 psi. Light went away, and zero issues afterward.
I would hook up a OBD2 scanner and see if that system is working correctly.

update.

Installed the new sensor they sent me , did relearn procedure fine, still have low tire light, took vehicle to discount tires, and they cant read the brand new sensor , they tried a second scan tool still couldn't read it.

Mobleitron is sending me a new full new set (double tested), that's what they said on this one, This is [censored] crazy

Okay where did we leave off, Mobiltron sent me 4 new sensors(next generaration double tested by set up people to work),, I installed one of them in the tire sensor that I just replaced, that Discount tires said they cant read. Still after relearn drive and battery reset, I have low tire light.

So I took it to a different auto shop, and they did the relearn and drove the vehicle light still on, Mech said the right passenger sensor he had trouble(different one) than I just replaced, so Ive replaced that today , relearn , drive and battery reset light still on.

I have 2 sensors left but doubting this is going to work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back