2019 Mazda3 Hatchback AWD Premium Second Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't paid much attention to the latest 3. This was one of the first reviews I read. Love the way it looks. This is a really nice car. If I were in the market for a car, this would likely be one of my top choices. I've been really impressed with Mazda the last 10 years or so. The 3's we've had have been extremely reliable.

Review

Indeed. The 3 has always been held in high regard in many circles including the PRESS.
This 4th gen takes refinement to another level in its particular segment and closer to the next segment up and/or even some of the more premium models.

Mazda has always been at the top in engineering and fun to drive. Its only downfall IMO is that they have a tendency to rust more than others, pity.

Originally Posted by E150GT
I do not like the direction Mazda is heading. Trying to be luxury and forgetting their past.

I agree 100% !

Originally Posted by Pelican
Mazda has always been at the top in engineering and fun to drive. Its only downfall IMO is that they have a tendency to rust more than others, pity.

The rust issue was taken care of starting with 2014 Mazda3's. The Mazda3's prior to that was one of the last cars NOT to get get this done at the assembly plant.

Originally Posted by Pelican

The 2010 in my sig is driven by my son.
Gets zero special treatment and is parked outside. No rust prevention sprays etc ever applied.
Get's driven in the worse salty environment you can imagine.
Has surface rust on the under carriage, and no rust active or visible on any body panels.
Wheel arches are fine.

After 10 years in this environment, it doesn't owe us a thing imo.

Had a 2010 CX9 come into our store a few weeks ago from a neighboring city., same, it looked really good - no rust.

Originally Posted by Danno
Gets zero special treatment and is parked outside. No rust prevention sprays etc ever applied.
Has surface rust on the under carriage, and no rust active or visible on any body panels.
Wheel arches are fine.
My buddy also has a 2010, oil sprayed every year. Weird rust spots on the hatch from bad prep at the factory I think. I'm not an automotive engineer or chemist though. It doesn't have the typical rustbelt corrosion around the wheels. Driven a lot on the highway for the first 150k kms then mostly city since, so it didn't get a true city commuter salt thrash as we both live in Toronto.

EDIT: Jury is still out on 2014+ corrosion resistance for another five years or so. They have been known rust buckets since the 90s and the fact that they are just e-coating them 2014+ is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I've had mine for 10y now and originally spent 2 years (50k miles) of driving in NY state; in the end, zero rust and basically bulletproof car; definitely a candidate for 300k miles!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Danno
Wheel arches are fine.
My buddy also has a 2010, oil sprayed every year. Weird rust spots on the hatch from bad prep at the factory I think. I'm not an automotive engineer or chemist though. It doesn't have the typical rustbelt corrosion around the wheels. Driven a lot on the highway for the first 150k kms then mostly city since, so it didn't get a true city commuter salt thrash as we both live in Toronto.

EDIT: Jury is still out on 2014+ corrosion resistance for another five years or so. They have been known rust buckets since the 90s and the fact that they are just e-coating them 2014+ is ridiculous.

I'm glad that Mazda addressed that problem; I've always liked Mazda's.

My 2014 developed rust bubbles under the paint on the hatch below the license plate. It was repaired last month and Mazda covered the cost.

The link is to Autoblog which has tons of trackers. It's really a trash site.

How many is many? More than two? Less than 20? We may never know.

The 3 hatchback and the Miata are the only Mazdas left that have a manual transmission option. I can see owning a hatchback as an only car because they are so versatile, but since I have a truck I would prefer my car have a trunk.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Many don't like the rear egg shape of the 2019 Mazda 3 hatchback.

It desperately needs a "shoulder"! The sedan has this line but the hatchback does not and it's *****! I could not believe they did that when I first saw the hatch and I still can't believe they did that months later.

Originally Posted by silverrat
My 2014 developed rust bubbles under the paint on the hatch below the license plate. It was repaired last month and Mazda covered the cost.

My 2014 Mazda3 was rust-free but my mother's 2014 Mazda5 had the same issue with rust under the rear license plate.

I do not like the direction Mazda is heading. Trying to be luxury and forgetting their past.

What are they forgetting exactly?

I personally love it. I had a 2015 cx5. Literally, no joke, it had zero sound deadening so as to safe on weight. Total purist move for a sports car, much less a CUV. Everything was as light as could be. Hood flutter above 65mph. Mirror shake past 55. It was absurd. My 2019? Yes, it's heavier, but it's much faster (turbo), and very refined. Much quieter. It's a good direct competitor for the RDX, GLC300, etc. The engine refinement is amazing. Zero turbo lag. They retained the near telepathic transmission logic and great suspension and steering feedback and dynamics, even while going to electric steering. In short, Mazda has matured without losing their roots. Flawlessly executed. The cooled seats, HUD, ACP/AA, etc? Nice to have! Puts it in the league of vehicles costing 10-25% more, along with the new turbo drivetrain.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by silverrat

My 2014 Mazda3 was rust-free but my mother's 2014 Mazda5 had the same issue with rust under the rear license plate.

My 2015 cx5 had 100k+ miles, and they salt the roads here once or twice a year. I had zero issues. Same as any other vehicle I've owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back