Dexos 1 Gen 2 or API-SN PLUS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed more synthetics on the shelf lately finally with the SN-PLUS certification. I have a 3.5 ecoboost I tow regularly with, so I'd like to use the best oil to avoid LSPI but which spec should I be concerned with? I read dexos 1 Gen 2 has an LSPI test, but have QSUD on the garage shelf that is gen 2 certified but not SN PLUS.

D1G2 and SN+ both address LSPI. GM came out first then API came out with the supplemental SN+, which I believe tests to the same Dexos1 Gen 2 testing protocol for LSPI.

Last edited:
They both address LSPI but d1G2 is more stringent in other areas where as SN Plus is solely a supplement to SN and only addresses LSPI.

There are Conventional oils that meet SN Plus. None, to this point that meet d1G2.

I would just worry about Ford's own spec since those oils will also protect against LSPI, Motorcraft and others meeting SN Pkys.

According to my Lubrizol chart, Dexos 1 far surpasses SN+ in wear, sludge and fuel economy. They are about the same in piston deposits and oxidative thickening.

It appears that overall, Dexos oil would be the better oil based on Lubrizol's chart.

I know nothing about how it relates to LSPI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back