2010 F-150 5.4 3V- Issues imminent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saga Continues

Drove by dealer Last night, truck still sitting. So this morning I decided to call the warranty company to see what's going on......

The engine was delivered and signed for 10 days ago!!!! One of the parts guys verified that it is in their warehouse. The lack of communication with this dealer not only with customers but themselves is unreal! Now the wait begins to hear back from the service advisor....

Originally Posted by panthermike
Saga Continues

Drove by dealer Last night, truck still sitting. So this morning I decided to call the warranty company to see what's going on......

The engine was delivered and signed for 10 days ago!!!! One of the parts guys verified that it is in their warehouse. The lack of communication with this dealer not only with customers but themselves is unreal! Now the wait begins to hear back from the service advisor....

If I was to speculate, I would guess the warranty company's allowed labor rate is dismal and the dealership is making it less of a priority for other higher paying work and will get to it whenever they can and probably by lower tiered and paid techs.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
When I was married, the wife had a 91 Geo Prizm. She got drunk one night and ran over one of those parking blocks you pull up to in a parking lot. Some how, it put a hole in the oil pan. She was too drunk to realize it had no oil when it it suddenly stopped running after she started driving it. It had a drivetrain warranty. But, it was worded to install an engine from a salvage yard with the same mileage or lower (62K). We found one with 44K miles and after a $100 deductible all was well.
21.gif

I'm surprised that warranty covered it at all. If anything I'd expect that to be an insurance claim, considering it was the direct result of damage she caused.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Saga Continues

If I was to speculate, I would guess the warranty company's allowed labor rate is dismal and the dealership is making it less of a priority for other higher paying work and will get to it whenever they can and probably by lower tiered and paid techs.

You could be right. Should I call the dealer and complain to the service manager?

You could be right. Should I call the dealer and complain to the service manager?

I would. Be firm but not angry, Just say you are disappointed at the lack of communication and you would like an ETA on when your truck will be ready. Feel free to say that you have already talked to parts and they confirmed the engine was received and the service writer notified.

Also if you are not satisfied with their response you can absolutely go higher up the food chain at the dealer. Call the main number and ask for the General Manager. Say your truck has been in their X number of days and you realize it is an extended warranty which may reimburse at a lower rate, but you are a customer none the less and you would like some answers about when you can expect your truck be returned. Again do not yell, just be firm. Say you have already confirmed with parts that your engine is there and service has been notified.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Also if you are not satisfied with their response you can absolutely go higher up the food chain at the dealer. Call the main number and ask for the General Manager. Say your truck has been in their X number of days and you realize it is an extended warranty which may reimburse at a lower rate, but you are a customer none the less and you would like some answers about when you can expect your truck be returned. Again do not yell, just be firm. Say you have already confirmed with parts that your engine is there and service has been notified.

Thank you much for the input, I will do that.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Stick with 5w30 any oil . 278k miles here with cam phaser noise and still going strong

Wow that's awesome! I will be using 5w30 for sure.

Also; I sent a message to the service director yesterday simply stating that I wanted to discuss my current service visit. He agreed and asked my name and service advisor, to which I told him. This was around 7pm last night. Fast forward to 7:15 this morning; guess who calls to give me an update! The advisor said the truck should be up and running within the next day or two. I was happy to get an update; however he did lie to me. On the phone, he mentioned that he "started wondering what was going on" and called the warranty company to find more info. This was when he went and "looked himself" for the engine and found it. Mind you this was the same day that I confirmed the engine was there and relayed this to him and a parts dept rep. He's just trying to cover himself now. The past already happened, I was hoping he would be straight with me and admit to dropping the ball here. But, I won't cry over spilled milk.

Should I still call and speak to the service director or wait and see how this plays out? I rarely go above to someone higher in the company, but this experience has been pretty rough overall.

Spoke with service director and he was very pleasant. He was honest with me and said that this is on us and apologized. Very pleased with this and I feel like everything will go more smoothly from here on out.

Spoke with service director and he was very pleasant. He was honest with me and said that this is on us and apologized. Very pleased with this and I feel like everything will go more smoothly from here on out.

I'm glad it seems like it is going better. Like I have said here and other places, be kind but firm. Don't yell or make a scene. They will do what it takes to help you as opposed to the people that make a scene who get tossed.

I'm glad it seems like it is going better. Like I have said here and other places, be kind but firm. Don't yell or make a scene. They will do what it takes to help you as opposed to the people that make a scene who get tossed.

I'm not one to make much of a fuss about things, and dislike it when people approach me aggressively; so I totally understand that
smile.gif

What always works for me is being calm and direct. Know what you want before talking to anyone. Going in there without even knowing what you want done and just being angry and yelling about nothing specific accomplishes nothing.

Got a call yesterday, apparently during the swapping of parts the tech found the surface of one of the exhaust manifold ports was damaged. So now the warranty company is sending another long block which will be here by tomorrow or Friday. Sucks but glad they found it!

This made me think of something though, surely they will replace the exhaust manifold gaskets right? Or do I need to request that they do it?

Got a call yesterday, apparently during the swapping of parts the tech found the surface of one of the exhaust manifold ports was damaged. So now the warranty company is sending another long block which will be here by tomorrow or Friday. Sucks but glad they found it!

This made me think of something though, surely they will replace the exhaust manifold gaskets right? Or do I need to request that they do it?

The longblock should come with a gasket install set.

The longblock should come with a gasket install set.

That's good news, thank you. I've read that the manifold gaskets are a potential weakpoint on these motors as well. So I was hoping they would change it out.

Well, she's back home 7 and a half weeks later. So far only 20 miles but running good. A few small issues such as; plastic shield hanging down with broken clips, maf sensor plug looks melted or glued? Power steering overfilled and while truck was waiting I believe a window was open as there's dirt everywhere in the cab. I'll contact service director to sort this out but Happy she's home ☺ï¸

While there are a few differences in engines between the years, my '97 F250 with the 5.4 is still going strong with 260K miles on the original engine. No funny noises at startup or otherwise.
Panthermike, I hope you got a good rebuild.

Originally Posted by Kruse
While there are a few differences in engines between the years, my '97 F250 with the 5.4 is still going strong with 260K miles on the original engine. No funny noises at startup or otherwise.
Panthermike, I hope you got a good rebuild.

Thank you I hope so too! Funny you mention that , my dad had the same exact truck. 97 F-250 5.4 4x4 Lariat in two tone dark green and tan. I still remember the day he brought it home, I was only 11 years old and I thought it was the most beautiful truck I had ever seen. I was young but I knew it was different than anything on the road, pretty radical design at the time. I remember the sticker price was around $31,000. crazy that same trim level truck is around double that now! Thanks for the trip down memory lane and I hope yours keeps going and going ðŸ‘

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back