Cell phone charging cables

Status
Not open for further replies.
What charging cables do you guys use? I need by a few new ones for my iphone (lightning cable) and Anker seems good on Amazon. It is a bit confusing they have Anker powerline 1, 2 and 3 and also have they in powerline+, 1+, 2+ ect.

Anker, Aukey, Cables Matters, Belkin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Look at Ugreen - they make quality cables.

With that said, I still use the OEM charging cable that came with my Pixel 2.

Honestly I never heard of Ugreen, i'll have to look into them.

I swear by Amazon Basics double-braided cables. Anker makes good stuff as well. I have to deal with both Lightning(work phone and family/friends) and USB-C on my personal Pixel.

Whatever it came with in the box.
Usually it's a black cable.
It charges my phone and transfers data from my PC to my Phone and vise versa.
21.gif

One that is short, has thick copper wires inside and good quality connectors. Look for low AWG rating...
Try to avoid the cheapest brands - I suspect that they sometimes lie about AWG rating and use crap connectors

I use a 3rd party Apple MFi certified USB-C to lightning cable for my iphone tennis max. Most MFi certified 3rd party cables are built much more better than the Apple cable.

AT&T 6ft braided USBC to Lightning cable at home
Insignia 1m cable for on the road.

After much wasted money and disappointments, OEM only for me. For Apple I gave up on all the Amazon cords that last 3 months before they go bad, and bought Apple. They're not too pricey at Walmart, you can be sure of getting a real Apple cord at Walmart (unlike Amazon, read the reviews of "genuine Apple" products).

Since this is a car forum... for Android phones I got this QuickCharge 3.0 charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B2BMIMS

For Apple products, I got this MFi Certified charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R56B1BT

Both are MUCH faster than so-called 3-4A chargers, because modern devices refuse to pull that much power from a device without a protocol. Both charge at the full rate on both ports.

I don't shop Amazon so can't comment on the junk sold there.

I've had great luck over the years with Monoprice cables, in Apple 30-pin, Lightning, and non-Apple microUSB and USB-C. Never let us down and it's great to support the little guy.

Monoprice is my go to for cables, accessories and other stuff. Stellar service, great products, and a fair price. No need for Amazon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
I swear by Amazon Basics double-braided cables. Anker makes good stuff as well. I have to deal with both Lightning(work phone and family/friends) and USB-C on my personal Pixel.
I'm pretty sure I picked up a pair of those Amazon Basics USB-C in the six foot variety on prime day, nice jacket and metal (!) bodied connectors. They don't fast charge with my LG G6 OEM charger, but I think that might have to do with them being six feet vs the four foot OEM. Great quality for $9 CAD each IIRC.

+1 on the Anker cables. I keep buying them because the cheap ones (including all Apple lightning cables) seem to separate at the connector head. The braided ones or Powerline+ ones hold up pretty well under harsh use (my bike). Anker makes really good chargers too, and the support is outstanding. When a charger started making a high pitched noise (still worked) they sent a new one no questions asked. Other vendors are don't even respond.

I have a a few hotspots that that crashed every hours or days, when I replaced the Netgear OEM PS with an Anker one zero crashes. Their wireless charging stand works great on an iPhone Xr too.

The only Apple cables I'd get are the USB-C cable for a Macbook pro, or the Apple watch cable.

I like monoprice for ethernet cables.

Anker for quality, Monoprice if you want cheap. No debate. Both have A+ customer service (I've dealt with both many times for cables and other products). Both have lifetime warranties on some cables, but with Monoprice, well, be prepared to spend a lifetime replacing them under warranty. Painless, but still annoying.

I've bought 1 car charger from RAVPower. Fantastic so far, but I can't make that recommendation in good faith after just 1 item.

Buying my braided USB-C cables from Anker was absolutely the best cable decision I've ever made. Lifetime warranty (Anker defines lifetime as 10 years from purchase date) was just icing on the cake. I just wish their prices would stop skyrocketing. They're completely worth it, but man it's getting harder and harder to justify.

I will state the quality of the USB-C to lightning or USB-C to USC-C is very high with Apple branded. Anker are nice but a tad thick too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back