Amazon or EBay A/C vacuum pumps/gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I just finished fixing my daughters Elantra that she crashed in June....I needed to replace the hood, bumper, radiator, condenser etc...
Now I need to recharge the A/C system and I can buy a pump and gauges on Amazon or Ebay for what a garage will charge me to do the job.
Are these kits (which I assume are made in China) any good? Does anybody recommend a specific brand (like Kozyvac) ? Thanks....

I had good luck with a harbor freight set....but it seemed like the high side fitting didn't fit quite a few of my cars.

"...Now I need to recharge the A/C system and I can buy a pump and gauges on Amazon or Ebay for what a garage will charge me to do the job."

Why don't you just get the pump and gauge set from Autozone for free through their loaner tool program?

Originally Posted by Nukeman7

"...Now I need to recharge the A/C system and I can buy a pump and gauges on Amazon or Ebay for what a garage will charge me to do the job."

Why don't you just get the pump and gauge set from Autozone for free through their loaner tool program?

I didn't think of that.....what are the requirements to borrow it?

Just know that most Robinair and Mastercool products are now made in China. The 20 year old Robinair pump I bought in the 90's and made in the USA still worked great and the main reason I went with Yellow Jacket when it was time for a new vacuum pump and gauge set.

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by Nukeman7

Just a credit card for the deposit. They charge you the full value of the tool. When you bring it back, you get a refund.

I recharged a AC system with a AutoZone vacuum pump and HF gauges. It worked just fine.

Originally Posted by pbm

A credit card. You technically buy it and then return it. I didn't think they loaned gauges though.

I would rent it from autozone. They rent the gauges and the pump. You can also use a debit card. You can probably use cash too because you are buying the tool out right.

If renting .... has the pump oil been changed since last use ? If a breakdown occurs, what is your responsibility ?

Originally Posted by pbm
I just finished fixing my daughters Elantra that she crashed in June....I needed to replace the hood, bumper, radiator, condenser etc...
Now I need to recharge the A/C system and I can buy a pump and gauges on Amazon or Ebay for what a garage will charge me to do the job.
Are these kits (which I assume are made in China) any good? Does anybody recommend a specific brand (like Kozyvac) ? Thanks....

Remember you need to pull a vacuum for 30 minutes to check for leaks. Probably need to add some oil. And it needs to be filled by weight, not pressure.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Just know that most Robinair and Mastercool products are now made in China. The 20 year old Robinair pump I bought in the 90's and made in the USA still worked great and the main reason I went with Yellow Jacket when it was time for a new vacuum pump and gauge set.

Made in China stuff is all over the map, it can be cheap trash from some back alley sweatshop or high quality made in a modern factory depending on what you want to pay for it. Brand name stuff is usually pretty decent and in many cases better than others regardless of where they were made.

While true, the problem with the made in China stuff is the suppliers of the component parts, but that can be true of made in U.S. too. The AC Delco part made in China may be assembled in a GM plant and of good quality, but the components may come from some back alley sweatshop, so the fasteners for example, my corrode faster.

Same goes for assembled in the USA or anywhere else with parts of global origin. Bottom line is you trust the manufacturer will source high quality components, I figure with a brand name you have a better chance of them standing behind if it something goes wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back