GPS question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only need to use GPS a few times a year, so we usually just use the phone App, which has done a pretty good job. Recently, I was driving and the GPS said, "Speed trap ahead". Sure enough, there was a cop car on the side of the highway about a mile down the road.

How does the GPS know this?

If you were using Waze or Google maps they have a reporting feature where road events (such as speed traps) can be reported by other drivers, then updated into the database so you get the warnings with audio and on the screen.

Lol, I was too slow on the draw.

Last edited:
I never seen any user provided input with Google Maps. Is there a setting I need to turn on?

Google owns Waze. I prefer to use google maps and I've also seen that pop up once in a while or once in a while it'll ask you if the slowdown is still there. It's good for the traffic data.

I thought this was going to be a real GPS question like when phones are going to use the European and Russian GPS satellites for more accurate location fixes. The estimated position error is still up there and there's a few roads where it doesn't know the specific highway I'm on because there's so many that crisscross.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Google owns Waze. I prefer to use google maps and I've also seen that pop up once in a while or once in a while it'll ask you if the slowdown is still there. It's good for the traffic data.

I thought this was going to be a real GPS question like when phones are going to use the European and Russian GPS satellites for more accurate location fixes. The estimated position error is still up there and there's a few roads where it doesn't know the specific highway I'm on because there's so many that crisscross.

I believe iPhones for the last couple years have been supporting GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and QZSS.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

I believe iPhones for the last couple years have been supporting GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and QZSS.

You also forgot Beidou, which is used in China.

iPhones used to use a standalone Infineon GPS receiver but they have been using the built-in Qualcomm ones that come on the phone's baseband. Qualcomm was a big proponent for aGPS which combines cell tower triangulation with GPS for quicker positioning. Now, wifi and Bluetooth LE are used along with GPS for location.

Originally Posted by ernied
I still use my Garmin plug into car set where I want to and that's it.
also check for updates on my pc every six months.

That sucks compared to using Waze in a vehicle equipped with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

Example of using Waze:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back