What is something you NEVER buy cheap? and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motorcycle tires.

Cheap
handling/grip
longevity

Pick two. Because you will only get two of those characteristics in one tire.

Everything.. After dealing with Primewell tires never again. The same with Westinghouse TV's. Wasted alot of time lately with cheap junk.

The economy of cheap rarely pays off unless its a one and done deal. People who live in poverty are often victim to this economy. Can only afford 15 dollar shoes have to buy 5 pair a year. If they bought 80 dollar shoes they could wear them for 2 years and save a bunch of money.

Originally Posted by stroked93
The economy of cheap rarely pays off unless its a one and done deal. People who live in poverty are often victim to this economy. Can only afford 15 dollar shoes have to buy 5 pair a year. If they bought 80 dollar shoes they could wear them for 2 years and save a bunch of money.

Yes, if you don't have the $80 then you go on an installment plan type scenario like you describe. Tough situation.

I'm guessing "cheap" here means low quality.

If the item is for one time use, I may buy a low quality item.

Things I don't buy low quality is food, clothing, grooming, transportation and housing.

You are on the wrong website asking that question. 90% of this site's users are always looking to save that last nickel when it comes to changing oil/filters. I imagine that type of character trait transfers to other aspects of their lives. Not dissin', just sayin'.

Originally Posted by sloinker
You are on the wrong website asking that question. 90% of this site's users are always looking to save that last nickel when it comes to changing oil/filters. I imagine that type of character trait transfers to other aspects of their lives. Not dissin', just sayin'.

I don't think that's necessarily true.

Sure, many members are thrifty, but many also want to ensure that they aren't needlessly wasting money.
IMO that's the reason for this site. Just because something is expensive, doesn't mean it's better.
Just because M1 is more $$, doesn't mean it's necessarily better for YOUR application/driving needs.
27.gif

For some things in life, I'm sure that many will agree, you simply cannot corners. That's the purpose of this thread.

Another thing for me is premium fuel.
I run both my cars on it and they either are designed to run on it, or run noticeably better (Lexus and BMW respectively).
Could I run the BMW on less? Sure can (it's actually spec'd for regular)! but the idle will be rough, it'll take longer to start (crank time) and overall feels more "agricultural" when driving.
Regular fuel would save me a couple of bucks at the pump, but with the increased vibration etc, I'd probably end up wearing out the motor/trans mounts and starter/battery.

I prefer to choose my battles wisely
thumbsup2.gif

Lawnmowers - went through two or three cheap ones, bought my Honda and it has lasted 15 years and still going strong

Grills - see mowers above, bought my Weber and it is 10 years plus and still runs like new

Vacuum cleaners - wife would go through them every 2-3 years until we bought a Miele. As above, 12 years old and still runs perfect.

Finally food. I can tell the difference between generic and name brand. Generics suck for the most part (with a very few exceptions).

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
house paint and stains....learned that my time and effort are worth more than the cost differential.

I agree 100 %

Originally Posted by 02SE
Motorcycle tires.

Cheap
handling/grip
longevity

You can't get longevity as well as handling/grip... at any price.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Motorcycle tires.

Cheap
handling/grip
longevity

Shinko. Quite impressed with the ones on my Sportster, and the rear I used on my Suzuki outlasted the Bridgestone it replaced-and worked better in the rain.

We should all shop value and let price take a back seat.
Decide what you want and then look at price.
We can typically find the brand we prefer at a deal somewhere
We live in a world where the lowest price is but a few clicks away.
We also need to bear in mind that not all similar sounding goods are equivalent.
That cheap travel destination won't be the same as a more costly one in the same area, although for some shoppers it'll still make sense as it's where they want to go and they could not otherwise afford it.
Never buy cheap. Always buy value, with price depending on ability and willingness to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back