Recent Windows update issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I opened up my Windows 10 computer this morning and it had lost all the setup of Thunderbird, all the Chrome extensions were gone. A scan by ESET and Malwarebytes found nothing. I am sure more is gone also that I have yet to discover.

Thunderbird and Chrome are not really related so I can only assume a Windows update removed/cleaned up stuff.

As much issues as I've had with Win10 updates, I've never had one that removed anything. Can you check in the update history or event viewer to see if the update was successful or if it reverted to the "last good state"?

Originally Posted by Pew
As much issues as I've had with Win10 updates, I've never had one that removed anything. Can you check in the update history or event viewer to see if the update was successful or if it reverted to the "last good state"?

I will check the log but I have had Thunder for over a year. Maybe two years.

I've had a Win 10 update erase some older Windows games but nothing like what the OP describes. My only guess is that perhaps the the original install of the missing programs may somehow have been put into a Windows folder or sub-folder instead of to the the default location that the program was intended to go to. Beyond that, I haven't a clue.

I have been very displeased with Windows 10 at times my self, only have it on my laptop and refused the free upgrade on my desk top after the experience with my new lap top w/ Windows 10!

Maybe try and roll it back to a prior date before the update.

Originally Posted by GrtArtiste
My only guess is that perhaps the the original install of the missing programs may somehow have been put into a Windows folder or sub-folder instead of to the the default location that the program was intended to go to. Beyond that, I haven't a clue.

Yea, Windows could have made a xxxxxx.old copy of the folders and didn't put them back properly.

My paid for copy of the MS Office suite is also gone. I tried to open Word and it asked me to accept T&C for a subscription.

Thunderbird is only downloading 30 msgs at a clip. Then it waits one minute and checks for new msgs. I have thousands. One minute is the minimum.

Thanks for making me glad I erased my paid for copy of Win 10 ten minutes after buying my computer. Almost got curious since my last Win install was an update to Win 7. This makes me remember what i hated about it. Looking forward to Ubuntu Mate 20.04.

Restore your OS partition backup. No sane person lets windows update itself without having one of those.

Also look into portable thunderbird. Everything is in 1 folder that you can easily backup to a USB flash drive or whatever, and even run it from that flash drive.

Anyway, I suppose windows updates could have done some damage but I'd also be wondering if you have an unstable system or the HDD/SSD is failing. This is another reason an OS partition backup is good, because you can revert back to that and rule out software, OS, and malware causes.

Another possibility might be that your login changed and these programs think you're a different user.

I solved the Windows update issues 100%

1. First I downloaded a program called Update Stop for Windows. I turn it on and it prevents Windows auto update. It worked great, then being prudent I turned it off 6 months or so later to let Windows update all at once. Low and behold, of course after the update I had an issue, Windows would not transfer photos from my Nikon DSLR AND would not open ANY JPEG's on the hard drive!
So what happens after a couple days, Windows does another update and everything starts working again!. Come on already.

Anyway, after 25 years of using Windows, which I never really had anything against, Im fed up, its turned into one massive uncontrollable piece of bloatware, most of it unremovable.

SO I FOUND THE PERFECT SOLUTION!

1. I bought an APPLE Computer, first Apple OS for me. Fantastic, Windows stress no more, bloatware no more, and I feel much more "secure" and my privacy respected with APPLE>
Crap, maybe some day I will even be posting that I bought an iPhone! Nothing is ever impossible! *L*

Last edited:
I have full image copies to my RAID harddrive. It's plugged in to backup and then unplugged a few hours later. My user data is mostly on another external hard drive.

OK - the user for this PC is "Donald-2018PC". That is displayed when I enter my PIN.

Under C:\USERS are two directories TEMP and Donald-2018PC.

When I click command prompt it shows C:\USERS\TEMP

So it looks like its assigning C:\USERS\TEMP with my userid when I logon instead of Donald-2018PC.

How to fix that??

Originally Posted by Donald
OK - the user for this PC is "Donald-2018PC". That is displayed when I enter my PIN.

Under C:\USERS are two directories TEMP and Donald-2018PC.

When I click command prompt it shows C:\USERS\TEMP

So it looks like its assigning C:\USERS\TEMP with my userid when I logon instead of Donald-2018PC.

How to fix that??

Check the logs (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Log viewer) and look for errors pertaining to loading your user profile. It's possible it corrupted the user profile during the update and now is giving you a temporary profile, in fact it sounds likely.

From event viewer - Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

How to fix??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back