Ford Fiesta: worth the gamble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a Ford dealer within a reasonable distance from me who has a new 2019 Ford Fiesta w/ manual transmission advertised for $9,999 plus T&T. VIN is 3F, so it's a Mexican car.

I've been looking for a decent used Toyota or Honda with a manual to use as a beater since I stupidly sold my 07 Corolla last year. What I'm finding is that any decent used Toyota or Honda that isn't salvaged is going to be at least $6000 unless I just happen to get lucky on CL and find one of the rare listings that isn't garbage or an outright scam. So for around $10.8K I could get a new car with factory warranty. After all the time I have wasted looking at rolling poop wagons I'm almost tempted to give it a shot.

Thoughts?

Well it's going away so they should give you a good deal. Think the manual transmission might make this an acceptable car. Haven't followed this car closely but wasn't the dash electronics the other big negative on the earlier years? Hopefully that's been fixed after a decade of production.

I'd think you might be able to get it down a bit more if they're ready to deal. What's it going for in other parts of the country?

Only thing I can say , there has been a huge problem with the dual clutch " automatic transmission " , used in the small Fords . I have never been able to determine if Ford ever got that fixed ?

You said the car you are looking at has a manual transmission ? So , I know nothing against that car .

So , if you like the new 2019 Ford and can afford it , I would probably go for it . But I would also look at the comparable car from GM .

Best of luck to you .

Well Toyota's are so outrageously priced for used cars if you can afford it you may as well buy a new LE and take care of it you'll still be driving it in 15 or 20 years if it doesn't get totaled. Then your not buying someone else's problem they didn't maintain.

used Corolla/Civic =/= new Fiesta.
NEVER purchase a car on price alone.
There's a reason why the Corolla and Civic are more expensive, even when used.
Also, the Corolla/Civic are a class above the Fiesta, which would be equivalent to a Yaris/Echo.

That's like comparing a Volvo V90 wagon to a Civic Touring hatchback.
Sure, both have rear hatches but each is in a totally different category.

The manual transmission car is just fine. Cheap enough to be worth it. I've driven them and they are OK little cars.

Probably a decent little car. The 1.6 Ti-VCT 4 cylinder engine has been around for a while. It does have a timing belt and that requires changing at 100,000 miles. Manual transmission is a good choice.

I'm staring at this very car right now (I'm in Cincinnati). That's a really good deal.

Let me know if you decide to buy it. I would hate to make the drive only to see you rolling it off the lot.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
used Corolla/Civic =/= new Fiesta.
NEVER purchase a car on price alone.
There's a reason why the Corolla and Civic are more expensive, even when used.
Also, the Corolla/Civic are a class above the Fiesta, which would be equivalent to a Yaris/Echo.

That's like comparing a Volvo V90 wagon to a Civic Touring hatchback.
Sure, both have rear hatches but each is in a totally different category.

FWIW it's a sedan. The Yaris and Fit are only available as hatches IIRC. I would prefer something with a trunk.

It has a backup camera...and crank windows LOL.

It's slow as [censored], slower than my 3cyl focus (my friend has a 2018 5-spd fiesta so naturally.....)

Anyways, it's a good all-around deal since it has the 5-speed. Funny that it has a backup cam but hand crank (his did too.) I really wish it came the 6-spd manual because the 5-spd has a pretty high highway cruise RPM. Just drive one on the highway to make sure you can tolerate the NVH and the horrible small wheelbase "jeep" sway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
Funny that it has a backup cam but hand crank (his did too.)

The backup cam is pushed as a feature, but it's on all cars today because visibility is greatly reduced.

Originally Posted by Pew
It's slow as [censored], slower than my 3cyl focus (my friend has a 2018 5-spd fiesta so naturally.....)

Anyways, it's a good all-around deal since it has the 5-speed. Funny that it has a backup cam but hand crank (his did too.) I really wish it came the 6-spd manual because the 5-spd has a pretty high highway cruise RPM. Just drive one on the highway to make sure you can tolerate the NVH and the horrible small wheelbase "jeep" sway.

NVH?

Originally Posted by Elkins45
Originally Posted by Pew

NVH?

Noise, Vibration, Harshness
Three great reasons why I'm never going back to a 4 cyl, regardless of induction.
(unless it's on a motorcycle).

Originally Posted by Elkins45
It has a backup camera...and crank windows LOL.

Why is a backup camera funny? It's mandated on all vehicles under 10,000 lbs that are built after May 2018. Since that one is a 2019 it would only be odd if it did not have a backup camera (and it wouldn't comply with FMVSS 111).

Originally Posted by zorobabel
The backup cam is pushed as a feature, but it's on all cars today because visibility is greatly reduced.

It's not on all cars today because visibility is greatly reduced, it's on all cars today because it's mandated to be on all cars manufactured after 2018. Mainly because people are too stupid to look behind them when backing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back