Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace the tires on our high school son's Sonata (from the Kumho OEM), I wanted to go with a "value" tire, but not a true no-name off brand one. Found the Tiger Paw in 215/55-17 at Walmart for $75ish each plus about $100 for installation, road hazard, rotation, etc.. They are being installed tomorrow, and this will be my first experience with this brand (I'm usually a Continental, Pirelli, or Yoko guy), and Walmart (normally a Discount Tire customer), so I'll report back. The runner up was the Hankook Kinergy ST, so I am hoping I chose wisely.

The car is typically driven between 5K and 8K a year, 90% of that within 10 miles of our home, so I won't be able to report on wear for a while, but I'll share any other observations.

Last edited:
Wow, tough room.
smile.gif
The Uniroyals are a little bit of an experiment for me, as would have been anything from General or Hankook or any other manufacturer that's not Yokohama, Continental, or Pirelli. They have generally favorable reviews and the sample size seems quite large, so we'll see. We're juggling quite a few expenses, including college tuition, funding those Roths, and almost having the house paid off, so I was trying to keep it close to the $400 out the door price point to stay within budget. I'm not proud, so if they suck, I'll let you know. The OEM Kumho Solus tires are really not good at anything IMO (especially down to 3 and 4/32), so I'm almost certain they will be an upgrade from those, if nothing else because they're new.

Oh come on... Uniroyal is owned by Michelin... how bad could they really be?

Where are all of the loyal, diehard Michelin fans on this Friday the 13th?

All I can say about the Tiger Paw is that years ago I bought a new Chevy pickup with these tires on it. Not about two months into owning the vehicle, I was going around a fairly gentle curve on the PA turnpike with my dad and son in the truck. It was raining very hard. Well, those Uniroyals had ZERO grip in the rain. I almost hit the guard rail at speed as the tires failed to get any grip on the road until the last second. Next day, I took it to a tire store and had them replaced. I would not let a young driver use these tires.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04

Actually I had OEM Michelins on an 02 Elantrra that I replaced with Tiger Paws and the Uni's were a better tire, so I guess I've bought two sets of these, couldn't be that bad. The General Exclaim HPX's were just superior.

My girlfriend got some Starfire Solarus tires at Walmart for her Optima. Haven't driven the car but it seems very quiet and is priced Chinese but made by Cooper in (I think) the U.S.

Have heard good things about the Hankook 737. Thought they were more money when I was pricing or I might have gone for that.

Originally Posted by Ddub
Wow, tough room.
smile.gif
The Uniroyals are a little bit of an experiment for me, as would have been anything from General or Hankook or any other manufacturer that's not Yokohama, Continental, or Pirelli...

I specifically mentioned the RT 43 because you mentioned liking Continental.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04

Actually, if you are looking for a junk tire, a sure way to find one is to buy from a brand owned by Michelin. This brings back not so fond memories of Fisk tires.

Originally Posted by leeharvey418
Originally Posted by Ddub
Wow, tough room.
smile.gif
The Uniroyals are a little bit of an experiment for me, as would have been anything from General or Hankook or any other manufacturer that's not Yokohama, Continental, or Pirelli...

I specifically mentioned the RT 43 because you mentioned liking Continental.

Ah, thank you. I did not know that General was a 2nd label of Continental. Someone on here had and hated those RT43s a while back, and that kind of stuck in my mind I guess, plus they are more expensive. I was thinking about putting Conti Extreme Contact DWS on my wife's Volvo (234/45-18) when the OEM P7s need to be replaced later this year or early next, but based on that should I consider the General Gmax AS-05? Similar warranty, but quite a bit less expensive.

I have them on my Lucerne and the only complaint I have is they are noisy and somewhat of a harsh ride when the temperature drops. I don't drive the Lucerne when there is snow/salt on the road so can't speak for winter traction.

Mine are the Touring DT's 98T M+S.

Last edited:
I have owned several sets of Tiger Paws over the years. Have the GTZs on the WRX currently. They are a decent tire. Road noise at times is my only complaint.

Tiger Paws are second rate tires. They wear easily and seem to puncture easily. A family member had them on her Toyota with dismal results. Didn't last and when she got rid of them it was like a new car and she picked up 2mpg in gas mileage. Will never again buy Michelins. Drank the cool aid for years and realized that the tires wore out quickly on my SantaFe. Had them on my F150 and hardly half worn I had to get rid of them. They developed deep cracks and they said no warranty.
I now have Continentals and Generals. Truly excellent tires. The Continental True Contacts are the best ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back