What is something you NEVER buy cheap? and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For us, it's toothpaste.

We generally use natural, non-fluoride toothpaste and there's quite a few to choose from.
The general go-to for us is JASON brand. They have one that's gentle on the teeth, yet foams and leaves the teeth feeling smooth (in a blue box).
Since we're in Canada, a tube usually goes for about $6.50 (5.20 after discount) and lasts a couple of months.
We've tried cheaper brands like "Tom's of Maine" but it literally left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and it didn't clean very well.

I've heard that toilet paper is one that many don't cheap out on.
But honestly, my GF is content with the 1 ply "Scott" brand toilet paper we get in the US.
So the money I'm saving on TP, I'll put towards toothpaste.
grin2.gif

Shoes, toilet paper, all hygiene products, anything that can break and leave me 3000 miles away from home.

Laundry detergent - went cheap once (Xtra Laundry detergent), broke in a rash, went to the dotcors, went on medication, still it wouldn't go away. Wife broke in hives, she too went to the doctor (twice). Stopped using the detergent and it went away in two days. So I saved $3 dollars on laundry detergent and spent $200 in copays, medications, creams, more creams, and benadryl. Lesson learned.

Phone case - Bought a cheap phone case, cracked my screen 2 days later because it didn't provide any protection around the rim of the screen. Saved $20 bucks on the case, spent $120 on a new screen that never worked right again. Lesson learned.

Grill - Always bought cheap barbecue grills and they'd only last 2-3 years (and cook lousy). Bought a Webber and ten years later nothing has broken on the thing and it cooks great like the day it was new. So I'd spend $200 on a new grill every two years, vs $600 on a grill I love that has lasted me ten, and shows no signs of breaking. Lesson learned.

Work boots - Used to buy cheap $70 dollar work boots that wouldn't last six months and leave me feet in constant pain - spent $180-220 on Red Wing boots and I can walk around in comfort with these things for three years. Amazing how important your feet become when you're using them all the time. Lesson learned.

I could probably list another 50 things. I'm learning the hard way, you get what you pay for.

Fastening: for DIY work … screws instead of nails … star or square drive instead of Phillips … stainless when it makes sense (or not high strength) … aircraft locking nuts … D Rings instead of screw hooks … Large inventory of these and things not mentioned
For hauling … plenty of ratchet straps, nylon straps, bungee cords, nets, binders, big chain for hookup or for clump weight, dozens of zip ties, various tapes, bed mats, extension brackets, tie points, etc

Last edited:
TP
Hiking boots and socks
Backpacking tent
Fishing line
Coffee
Carry gun
Defensive ammo
Hunting rifle and scope
Camera gear
Pocket knife

Originally Posted by Railrust
Laundry detergent - went cheap once (Xtra Laundry detergent), broke in a rash, went to the dotcors, went on medication, still it wouldn't go away. Wife broke in hives, she too went to the doctor (twice). Stopped using the detergent and it went away in two days. So I saved $3 dollars on laundry detergent and spent $200 in copays, medications, creams, more creams, and benadryl. Lesson learned.

Phone case - Bought a cheap phone case, cracked my screen 2 days later because it didn't provide any protection around the rim of the screen. Saved $20 bucks on the case, spent $120 on a new screen that never worked right again. Lesson learned.

My Galaxy survived a highway-speed motorcycle crash due to the $9 Amazon armored case and screen. As soon as I got home, I replaced the cracked case with an identical one.

Xtra detergent offers a hypoallergenic (undyed, unscented) version-I usually use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back