New Apartment Mold

Status
Not open for further replies.
You ever consider the reason you got such a great deal on such a great apartment is the management knew there were serious issues with the apartment ?

Like buying a car for a great price & then finding out the motor or transmission is bad . Or both .

Best of luck to you , :)

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
You ever consider the reason you got such a great deal on such a great apartment is the management knew there were serious issues with the apartment ?

Like buying a car for a great price & then finding out the motor or transmission is bad . Or both .

You call $1,400/mo a great price?

At any price, mold is unacceptable...but especially at this price.

Last edited:
Your first stop is the management office, not a discussion forum. If you don't get any satisfaction there, then you should contact an attorney.

Sorry about that. I'd contact the rental office and then see what transpires.

Florida is a dank wet place inside buildings is my impression being there unless that have great HVAC and construction to deal. Apartments tend not to be constructed so well.

That metal needs cleaning. Good luck getting the rental office to look at that. I would spray it down myself making sure I'm wearing masks and eye protection.

50-75 pints of water is huge IMO.

I saw an article on tv several years ago. It said there are many different types of mold, but only a small percent of them are harmful. However the ones that are harmful can cause very serious health problems.

A quick search on google shows that there are more than 100,000 types of mold, and some suspect there could be as many as 300,000 types.

Last edited:
Is the air handler in a conditioned space? The air handler for my DE home is in the crawl space but does not condition any air in the crawl space. I have a separate dehumidifier for the crawl space.

Looks like black mold to me....that's your health going downhill right there.

Notify management immediately, and also notify the health department. Tell each you've notified the other and get some sort of acknowledgment in writing...in fact I'd consider writing a letter and hand-delivering it to the apt manager's office.

I would not touch it myself. Let management see the full extent of the problem.

Maybe see if they would let you switch to another unit (after you check the HVAC in it). Then you get to keep the location and they get to keep you as a tenant.

Originally Posted by Throt

Heck yeah! One bedroom suites in my neighborhood start at 1750/month. (about 500-600 sq feet).

Also, you live in Florida. Isn't high humidity (and the negative effects from it) a part of life?

Originally Posted by Throt

Dunno, a decent two bedroom around here is in the $3500/mo range. $1400 seems extremely cheap, but it is all relative.

Regardless I would ask the property management office to take a look.

$1400 is not a lot of money for rent.
Contact the local Health Dept if they refuse to help.

What does your wife say about the mold ?

You pulled the panel because you had trouble breathing.

I recently rented a cabin. Slept there one night. Woke up at 2am with some really weird breathing problems. I got up, packed up and left. The place appeared clean but had black mold hidden everywhere. It needed to be burned to the ground. All the wood was full of black mold.

I got my deposit and rent back. The owner was very upset. But I don't care. I can't live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back