The New Ford Ranger Was Outsold By The Notably Ancient Nissan Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Dave9

Pickup trucks need to be seen as a tool, only an idiot buys one as a luxury vehicle because, well I don't have the time nor you the time to argue over why a pickup is never going to be a luxury vehicle except contrasted against other pickup trucks, which is like saying I'll pick the best of the worst for my intention if it only costs $25K more... lol.

If you want luxury, get a real luxury sedan and have a used pickup on the side when you need that functionality. What automakers are doing with pickup truck pricing is utter madness.

thumbsup2.gif

For me, brodozers and luxury trucks are the ultimate signs of showing off your insecurities. Sure, if you work as a hauler or spend time towing a trailer, buy that Lariat/Platinum/Laramie. They said the F-150 Platinum outsold the Mercedes S-Class last year, which is unbelievable. The Mercedes is much more luxurious than the truck. Also, Ford jumped the shark with the new Ranger - but it was based off the Thai model. Which means that Ford saved money during development but fleets don't need a big truck. They wanted the small Ranger to come back.

For me, if I want luxury, I'll buy a Range Rover or a Lexus GX/LX and an older F-150/Tacoma to take care of the dirty stuff. I think a truck is meant to work and haul, not to be all bling-bling.

Originally Posted by E365
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Increased CAFE targets are going to make ALL trucks expensive and disappointing eventually.

I disagree. The Ranger starts at $24,300 but you can option/accessorize right to about $50,000. They all come with the same engine.

That's $25,000 of extras that have nothing to do with CAFE. Truck are expensive because people want, and buy, gadgets and luxury options.

Nope. There is no amount of luxury that should amount to $25K in a pickup truck. It's a shell game of setting the high price then negotiating it down, when no lot is going to have $24K Rangers.

Let's see how well $50K Rangers sell. I am not discounting the possibility that a lot of idiots exist in the world, but initial sales of $50K does not equal perpetual sales.

They can take their 2.4L turbocharged engine and shove it up their...

Remember when pickup trucks lasted longer than you needed them to? Ford is hoping you are too young to remember, but it's not fair to point the finger at ford, rather it is the idiot ignorant buyers in todays market that can't see past a day from Tuesday.

On the plus side, if you are invested in learning and fixing this tech, you will find some bargains on used pickups in the next decade, from any brand, again it's not Ford exclusively that has made a wrong turn here.

Pickup trucks need to be seen as a tool, only an idiot buys one as a luxury vehicle because, well I don't have the time nor you the time to argue over why a pickup is never going to be a luxury vehicle except contrasted against other pickup trucks, which is like saying I'll pick the best of the worst for my intention if it only costs $25K more... lol.

If you want luxury, get a real luxury sedan and have a used pickup on the side when you need that functionality. What automakers are doing with pickup truck pricing is utter madness.

Have you ever been at a rest area alongside I-15 about to stroke out while preaching to a random guy and his wife about their "obscene" truck and toy hauler?

Originally Posted by 02SE

Have you ever been at a rest area alongside I-15 about to stroke out while preaching to a random guy and his wife about their "obscene" truck and toy hauler?

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Elkins45
Can't get one in 4x4 with a manual and a four cylinder. The only manual 4x4 option is the giganto-cab version with a six cylinder. Sadly the Frontier is now dead to me.

I kind of like the 2 wheel drive 4 cylinder manual option. Just wish they made it in a single cab. To me, that's a true small truck.

What I do find neat is the v6 manual is rated to tow the same as the v6 auto. But I think 6000 pounds would be pushing it for me either way. 7000 or 7500 would give a much better safety net

Originally Posted by Miller88

I kind of like the 2 wheel drive 4 cylinder manual option. Just wish they made it in a single cab. To me, that's a true small truck.

Indeed. I no longer want one, but that is a true small truck. At one time I had a long bed Isuzu, and a short bed S10; I think I preferred the short bed more.

What I do find neat is the v6 manual is rated to tow the same as the v6 auto.

Interesting! but I don't think I could go back to a manual in a truck. True small truck not being asked to tow much, perhaps, but after backing up my enclosed trailer a few times, and uphill several times, I don't think I'm interested in working a clutch at the same time. I tend to squirm a lot while moving from mirror to mirror (or even looking out the back window if it's a low trailer).

Originally Posted by E365
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Increased CAFE targets are going to make ALL trucks expensive and disappointing eventually.

I disagree. The Ranger starts at $24,300 but you can option/accessorize right to about $50,000. They all come with the same engine.

That's $25,000 of extras that have nothing to do with CAFE. Truck are expensive because people want, and buy, gadgets and luxury options.

Nope. There is no amount of luxury that should amount to $25K in a pickup truck. It's a shell game of setting the high price then negotiating it down, when no lot is going to have $24K Rangers.

Let's see how well $50K Rangers sell. I am not discounting the possibility that a lot of idiots exist in the world, but initial sales of $50K does not equal perpetual sales.

They can take their 2.4L turbocharged engine and shove it up their...

Remember when pickup trucks lasted longer than you needed them to? Ford is hoping you are too young to remember, but it's not fair to point the finger at ford, rather it is the idiot ignorant buyers in todays market that can't see past a day from Tuesday.

On the plus side, if you are invested in learning and fixing this tech, you will find some bargains on used pickups in the next decade, from any brand, again it's not Ford exclusively that has made a wrong turn here.

02SE, I spit my coffee out when I read this. You made my morning. LOL

Simple answer is some people want a truck and not a Mercedes. The truck serves many functions, to me the Mercedes serves the same purpose as my Malibu or Caprice.

Last edited:
I have seen quite a few new Rangers cruising around the past couple of weeks. They do look huge for a "small" pickup. They'll sell like crazy just like every other light truck these days.

Clearly today's trucks last just fine. They are made to work and this results in long service life.

I have 3 F150's. All are excellent.

Originally Posted by nthach

thumbsup2.gif

For me, brodozers and luxury trucks are the ultimate signs of showing off your insecurities. Sure, if you work as a hauler or spend time towing a trailer, buy that Lariat/Platinum/Laramie. They said the F-150 Platinum outsold the Mercedes S-Class last year, which is unbelievable. The Mercedes is much more luxurious than the truck. Also, Ford jumped the shark with the new Ranger - but it was based off the Thai model. Which means that Ford saved money during development but fleets don't need a big truck. They wanted the small Ranger to come back.

For me, if I want luxury, I'll buy a Range Rover or a Lexus GX/LX and an older F-150/Tacoma to take care of the dirty stuff. I think a truck is meant to work and haul, not to be all bling-bling.

Insecurities? Have you ever considered that like you, sometimes people just buy what they like, too...

In addition to our loaded Dually which pretty much only pulls the 'obscene' toy hauler.

We have:

BMW X6M, the wife mainly drives that
BMW M6, I mainly drive that
5th gen Viper with many performance mods
An old 4Runner, that still looks great and drives like new, but sees less than 2k miles a year
An older Camry. I bought that for my Mom, but she no longer drives. So I take her for rides in it occasionally

Heavily modified Hayabusa. It's 50 lbs lighter than stock, and is fast as [censored] (125 rwhp more than stock) and is great canyon carver too, due to improved brakes and suspension
'15 S1000RR lightened up a making 30 rwhp more than stock. It was raced in an event which was a longtime dream of mine to participate in.
Panigale V4 Speciale. It's pretty, it's peppy, it's parked in my home office.
'20 S1000RR M, the wife mainly rides this while I ride the nasty, unforgiving, but riotously fun 'Busa

Oh dirtbikes:

KTM 550 MXC it's old, but it makes a CR500 feel slow.
CR 250, the wife likes this.

The toy hauler. It hauls the dirtbikes to the dunes, or the sportbikes to the track.

We are very insecure.

Or just enjoying life...

Originally Posted by Cujet
Clearly today's trucks last just fine. They are made to work and this results in long service life.

I have 3 F150's. All are excellent.

+1

Originally Posted by Skippy722

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by ls1mike

02SE, I spit my coffee out when I read this. You made my morning. LOL

Simple answer is some people want a truck and not a Mercedes. The truck serves many functions, to me the Mercedes serves the same purpose as my Malibu or Caprice.

Happy to bring a little levity to what is IMO, a ridiculous point of view.

If someone has something that I don't, I'm not mad about it.

If they came to own whatever they have through ethical means, more power to them. They are keeping the economy humming right along.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Silk
Still puzzled by the hate for the Ranger, but carry on.....

It's new, it's not a Toyota product, it's "too nice", and it's got a turbo... that is 4 mortal sins if I've learned anything from this site
lol.gif

Last edited:

I like the Ranger. Looks are OK, could be better but it's a very nice truck. Pricey..

I could live with any of the mid/full size trucks on the market. They are all very nice. The Tacoma would be tough though. It really has a poor powertrain IMO. I chose the Pro-4x version of the Frontier because the ride quality is better and I wanted more off-road capability.

It's a stupid vehicle. Stupid-big, stupid-tall, stupid-expensive, and stupid-small bed. It's 90% the size and 90% the cost of an F-150...but half as capable. Stupid vehicle.

Originally Posted by nthach

thumbsup2.gif

Insecurities? Have you ever considered that like you, sometimes people just buy what they like, too...

In addition to our loaded Dually which pretty much only pulls the 'obscene' toy hauler.

We have:

BMW X6M, the wife mainly drives that
BMW M6, I mainly drive that
5th gen Viper with many performance mods
An old 4Runner, that still looks great and drives like new, but sees less than 2k miles a year
An older Camry. I bought that for my Mom, but she no longer drives. So I take her for rides in it occasionally

Heavily modified Hayabusa. It's 50 lbs lighter than stock, and is fast as [censored] (125 rwhp more than stock) and is great canyon carver too, due to improved brakes and suspension
'15 S1000RR lightened up a making 30 rwhp more than stock. It was raced in an event which was a longtime dream of mine to participate in.
Panigale V4 Speciale. It's pretty, it's peppy, it's parked in my home office.
'20 S1000RR M, the wife mainly rides this while I ride the nasty, unforgiving, but riotously fun 'Busa

Oh dirtbikes:

KTM 550 MXC it's old, but it makes a CR500 feel slow.
CR 250, the wife likes this.

The toy hauler. It hauls the dirtbikes to the dunes, or the sportbikes to the track.

We are very insecure.

Or just enjoying life...

If you use the truck for it's intended purpose like you do,go ahead and get the fully loaded one, it's guys in brodozers(usually lifted Super Duties or Silverado/Sierra/Ram HDs with the PSD/Dmax/Cummins) out rolling coal or buying the nicest truck but not using it for much more than a mall cruiser I have an issue with.

Buddy of mine lives in a really nice suburb and you see more King Ranch or Platinum F-150s at their local mall as there are Teslas, Lexuses and Range Rovers. Most of those trucks will never pull a trailer, go off road or haul anything more than maybe a few sacks of soil or cement.

Last edited:
I don't judge others for what they like or want to buy. For me personally, I don't want a truck that is too luxurious. I plan on using my truck as a truck. I don't need leather seats and other upgrades. That's why I went with the Frontier - basic with a solid powertrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back