2020 Sportster lineup reduced

It appears Harley Davidson has reduced the 2020 Sportster line up to the 48, two Iron models and the Roadster. Gone are the Customs and the SuperLow joins the already missing 1200 Touring...

Perhaps the "Future Custom" model will fill this void but I think losing particularly the SuperLow is kinda dumb...
21.gif

All about money. Clearly not a good profit maker for HD. So reduce the line, produce what sells well, lower parts and finished goods inventory, selling and overhead and advertising expenses, etc. Could be because of folks tied up making a poor seller, they had to pay overtime on other lines to make the two iron models and the Roadster.

Originally Posted by Boomer
All about money. Clearly not a good profit maker for HD. So reduce the line, produce what sells well, lower parts and finished goods inventory, selling and overhead and advertising expenses, etc. Could be because of folks tied up making a poor seller, they had to pay overtime on other lines to make the two iron models and the Roadster.

All true, the Super Low is popular around here though...

Also ABS still not standard...

Harley Davidson's stocks is the lowest since 2010, they have been plummeting since 2014.

They seem to be making more money selling T-Shirts and apparel than bikes.

I guess they scratched the less selling models.

Boomers are the main demographic targets for the brand and they are riding less and less as this generation is getting older.

The Custom model is still available in some non US markets. The 1200T is still listed in Austria.

US Models:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

India:

Austrailia / New Zeland

Latin America:

Austria:

I suppose the MoCo has done the research on what's selling and what isn't, but cutting the smaller end of the range isn't the way I would go based on general sales trends...

The largest motorcycle consumer demographic is getting older to the point of no longer riding as much, or dying off. There doesn't seem to be as much enthusiasm for riding among the younger generation, and the rampant sub-prime lending which a lot of the younger generation was able to take advantage of in the past, has dried up too.

It all adds up to a shrinking motorcycle market.

They've almost become a lifestyle brand more than a motorcycle manufacturer. Their offerings really cater to the boomer crowd who is near/at retirement and have the $50K to drop on a new cruiser with all the farkles and riding gear.

At the HD shop in my city, every Saturday morning during warmer seasons is quite literally a lot of the boomer types going in to buy their new bikes. Never see any younger people unless it's the sons-of-anarchy meth dealing young guys.

Some of my customers at the Busy Little Shop are Harleys owners and
this is what I've learned...

Riding a Harley is a blues thing... you start a blues ride with "I woke up
this morning riding"...

You can't blues ride on Honda RC45... it has to be the meanest looking
scoot in town... loud too...

Blues can take place on a good road... it has to a bad road... with
alligators hiding in bushes waiting to chomp your leg off...

No one will believe it's a blues ride wearing white racing leathers...
you have to wear basic black... sport tattoos... show some hair...

You needs your own Blues name... you start with the help of a physical
aliment like blind... cripple... lame... then add a fruit like lemon... lime...
kiwi... finish up with a president like Jefferson... Johnson... Jackson...
you become Blind Lemon Jackson or Lame Kiwi Johnson...

Blues rides are taken nice and easy... you don't want to attract
attention with speeding because your dodging the electric chair having
just shot a man Memphis for saying your women gots the meanest face in
town...

Doesn't matter what color a Blues Bike is painted... there all bad luck...

I don't care how nice they are... if you own a Sport Bike you can't
sing the Blues riding...

Riding a Harley is a Blues Thang...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My Vrod Test Hop...

Erik's custom Harley Deuce project...

Last edited:
i trade my top heavy pig an 08 porkster + without an update they are way behind other brands!! hardly continues to struggle because they are overpriced + problematic!! "they all do that" the typical stealer response + their electric bike will surely flop!!

I'm sure Harley Davidson is aware what models are moving, and ones that are not. I was also surprised when I saw only 4 Sportster model's for 2020. Guessing lower priced bikes doesn't always mean higher sales. In a couple more years they'll be dropping other newer released models and bringing back Sportster's. Still the bread and butter are the touring line that sell for over $20,000k plus.

kinda sad they killed the superlow...for me it is actually the most comfortable harley I have sat on; my first h-d woulda been a sporty 883 supetlow with forward controls kit!

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn
kinda sad they killed the superlow...for me it is actually the most comfortable harley I have sat on; my first h-d woulda been a sporty 883 supetlow with forward controls kit!

Yes, the Iron 883 and the 48 are pretty low, but the reach to the bars is quite the stretch for someone who is smaller, the super low was the choice there. The Iron 1200 maybe better but mini apes aren't for everyone either. I don't get having two iron and no super low... but then again, I don't get not being able to find sporties with ABS either.

I guess you could sorta argue a Street Bob or Slim is close (pretty low) but they are almost 100 lbs heavier... I don't really ever see the Street line luring Sportster buyers, the styling just isn't there...

I see the Superlow and Custom buyers going to Triumph or maybe the Ducati Scrambler line... Which I think is a mistake for the MoCo...

Maybe there are enough already in the pipeline in HD's view...

owned Harley's since 2007. Had 7 or 8 now. I love the Softails, but the new Sportsters look like dogshit. Couldn't give me one.

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn

Be aware: the Super Low has a very, very BAD ride.

All the motorcycle manufacturers are revising their model lineups, not just Harley-Davidson. The US market is shrinking, and in other markets, i.e. Europe and Asia where motorcycles are more often used as a primary transportation instead of toys as in the US, the market wants the smaller displacement bikes.

Originally Posted by JPowell490
... but the new Sportsters look like dogshit. ...

Obviously looks are subjective, but thats kinda harsh, The 48 and and the roadster both look pretty good to me. The roadster particularly with he seat cowl that's available as accessory...

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Be aware: the Super Low has a very, very BAD ride.

I've ridden both an 883 and a 1200T super low and that isn't my experience...

Back