Windshield Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a windshield that took a hit like a prize fighter. Two quarter size marks with cracks emanating right in front of steering wheel. Called a couple local places and Safelite. Safelite much cheaper, open on Saturdays, etc. I've used them, and other national companies, in the past (probably 10 years ago) and was curious of current opinion. They get decent reviews locally online. I never had any issues with glass seeming wavy, they have a "lifetime warranty", etc.

I did have an issue with a local company once. They didn't attach my weatherstripping correctly and it flew off when I was driving.

Safelite has been the best in my experience. Used a smaller chain last time and they butchered the repair, twice! Next time I'm just calling Safelite.

i used safelite in my old Corolla a few years ago. They did a great job. I just had a new windshield put in from a local place on my wife's van, installation looks good however the quality of the glass is not very good. Very distorted unfortunately. In retrospect, I should've just gone with Safelite again

Unless you can find a [censored] good local installer who isn't a guy installing cheap glass or hacking the job, Safelite is the only game in town if you're going through insurance. They are hit and miss. The one on my parent's Sienna was great since the guy did take his time and took apart the cowl and I even helped him set the new Pilkington windshield in place since he saw I was curious about the process.

The one on my car I have a feeling was hacked, the cowl never came off. But somehow I got a Pilkington windshield instead of an FYG or XYG/PGW(which I would have rejected before the job started). Safelite is very YMMV.

It's a crap shoot these days. As others said they'll either botch the job or you'll get subpar glass with waves and severe distortions. Even worse is that dealerships (who would use OEM parts) just sub-contract the work out to glass shops, so you can't even feel assured that paying dealership prices means you're getting OEM grade results.

Make sure they primer any bare metal caused by the cold knife or the urethane scraper. Heck, ask them if you can take 5 minutes to examine everything before they go and try setting the new glass in. Have some touch up paint handy (if they aren't willing to use their expensive primer) and make sure there's no exposed metal. You won't have a chance to fix that once the glass is in place, and that area of the body can rust easily because water naturally wants to drain around the glass.

On some vehicles, it can be beneficial to lightly glue the weatherstripping surround in place. This keeps it from peeling back due to car washes or high wind or rain.

Frankly the entire thing just makes me hot under the collar. It's the one type of repair where it seems like there's a large margin for error.

I would pull the cowl and wipers at the very least if I had to do this again. One salvo with Safelite is that they banned long knives due to damage. But they don't repair nicks from removing the windshield. From my observations, they install a lot of FYG but the last two done for me and the parents used Pilkington, and my side window which was also a Safelite job was American-made PGW from a former PPG plant. I've seen PGW and AutoTemp(yuck) on their racks so unless that PGW is made in the US or Mexico by Vitro, caveat emptor.

Man, I kinda want to learn how to replace fixed auto glass but the tools to take a windshield out are pricey.

Last edited:
The local Safelite has replaced a few windshields in different vehicles. All fully paid by the insurance company with our glass coverage.

First try the rubber external seal or cover at the A pillar was loose, flapping in the breeze Had to drive to their shop to re-glue. The interior A pillar trim was covered in black fingerprints.
Two years later the replacement windshield cracked. A little used car with about an additional 6000 miles after windshield replacement. Asked for a Safelite warranty replacement. They reviewed and could not find an impact point. But still claimed an impact must have occurred under the plastic cowl. But no mark on the plastic. Warranty denied. I call BS as the car was parked when the crack occurred. Had not been driven in over a month. Insurance paid again for a replacement. Replacement did not fit properly and the rubber cover was again loose. Safelite replaced again with me standing there. Then they broke the clips holding the plastic cowl and used a poor fitting socket to remove the wipers. He was banging the socket on the driveway trying to get the acorn nut from the socket. The nut corners and black finish was damaged. Clips not replaced. They didn't care. Car was a Honda.

Safelite replaced my Lincoln windshield. Insurance paid. I hovered over them in my driveway after the above experiences. I removed the wipers, exterior plastic trim, and interior A pillars. They told me to get out of the way as I was cleaning and inspecting the A pillar frame after the old glass was removed. I was the first job that day for them. They told me they had eight windshields to do that day.

I'm not a fan of Safetite. Every worker was a different person. Speed is their priority, not careful execution. Safelite must have personal turnover.

I had safelite install 4 defective (distorted , funny mirror effect line of driver vision) in a row then ordered other glass to make me happy.

I had previous run of two on another car.

Simply put they are cheaper for a reason, I think they have poor suppliers with random quality.

We have lots of gravel pits and hauling around here … so guess what … have an independent auto glass place that normally does good work … appointment required
Wife had Tahoe windshield hit so bad that a bit of glass dusted the dashboard … sent her there
(2017 and already had two starburst repairs before the big hit)
Just getting home a few days ago and noticed nothing noted wrt "acoustic" like the OEM glass

Last edited:
Have used Safelite a few times with no issues.
Their shop is in a bad neighborhood, sits at a busy intersection in an awkward location, is a huge PITA for me to get to, and looks like a hoarder's basement...but, they have gotten the job done for me.

I've replaced windshields myself for the last ten years (ave. 2-3 per year) so I can be sure it's done right. I did invest about $1,000 in equipment. From what I understand, Safelite installers are on a daily quota, at least the mobile ones, so they may rush an install which compromises quality. If you're paying for the job, you can ask what brand of glass is used, but know that a factory windshield might cost 2 or 3 times as much. Most aftermarket glass is fine and windshields cost $100-$120 wholesale for common applications. I've bought most of my windshields from Mygrant Glass which for me is $20-$30 cheaper than Safelite (aka Service Auto Glass).

I would look for a local place with good reviews. I have a local place I love and they do top notch work. Always have gotten a Pilkington from them without asking. Had a Safelite windshield installed once and the waviness bothered me so much.

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
I would look for a local place with good reviews. I have a local place I love and they do top notch work. Always have gotten a Pilkington from them without asking. Had a Safelite windshield installed once and the waviness bothered me so much.

As we have recently discussed, name brand glass is no longer a guarantee of quality. I was a believer in getting it done at a local home town shop, better than the large franchise and better than a rushed mobile application. My last install was botched. I hunted down an older, trusted guy in the shop and he made it right.

Reddy45's last sentence is so true. It's all about the guy doing the install, and it is very tough to find that gem in the rough.

I had one safelite replacement, paid for by my insurer and performed in my driveway by a mobile safelite guy.

The windshield as well as the transfer of NY inspection and registration stickers was perfect. However, the windshield wiper became loose when I turned them on. Went to my regular Valvoline joint, the mechanic reattached properly in 20 second. I tossed him $5 and I was off and running.

Did 2 Safelite windshields in recent years. Both were not as clear as the OEM windshield they replaced. Not really wavy, but not optically clear.

Reddy45's last sentence is so true. It's all about the guy doing the install, and it is very tough to find that gem in the rough. [/quote]

That's what I like about my small town shop … co-owner (wife) upfront who's really good at the paperwork, procurement, and insurance issues … the shop boss (husband) keeps up to date on quality … and is working with the same guys he has employed for years …
When they changed my 2010 GMC … got a call asking to delay by a day … he did not like the first glass and had it swapped out for a nice piece.
Probably 10% higher … but within price range of major insurance companies …

Originally Posted by atikovi
I've replaced windshields myself for the last ten years (ave. 2-3 per year) so I can be sure it's done right. I did invest about $1,000 in equipment. From what I understand, Safelite installers are on a daily quota, at least the mobile ones, so they may rush an install which compromises quality. If you're paying for the job, you can ask what brand of glass is used, but know that a factory windshield might cost 2 or 3 times as much. Most aftermarket glass is fine and windshields cost $100-$120 wholesale for common applications. I've bought most of my windshields from Mygrant Glass which for me is $20-$30 cheaper than Safelite (aka Service Auto Glass).

I'm thinking about going this same route. The urethanes and primers aren't cheap (Dow and Sika brands), but there are better cut out tools now and things like the prep stand can be bought from Eastwood for $30.

It looks like I can even purchase OEM glass through the Toyota Dealership for under $500 which still beats paying a local glass shop $950 to do the job with OEM glass.

Been using a cord system to remove the glass the last few years. No damage to the windshield opening when cutting it out. That's about. $500 new. Then you need an installation tool if working by yourself to properly set the glass. That's another $500 used on Ebay.

There's a Mygrant near me in Oakland, and their headquarters isn't far away either. I've heard of people walking in there and buying glass if they aren't a shop or installer.

You can even buy urethane on Amazon but I wouldn't trust it.

OP here... I've called 5 "local body shops" this morning and they all subcontract their glass work to one of two companies. I emailed both yesterday morning and called both today. No return email and don't answer their phones. LOL Seems like they're busy enough and don't want mine. Looking closer to rolling the dice with Safelite...

The dealer quoted me about $1000 for non-OEM glass and $1200 for OEM. If I had cameras and such it'd be more! Whew!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back