98 Olds 88 V6 3800...steering wheel issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when I turn right I hear and feel a pop in the steering column. Usually when I turn right. Sometimes I hear it when I turn left. My mechanic said there is a boot in there that could be torn. Is this an issue that needs immediate attention? Is what my mechanic suggested likely what the problem is?

Seems more likely it's a bad joint, loose bolt, or other actual mechanical problem. Yes this sort of thing needs to be checked immediately. There are places in the steering system for a single point of failure to cause loss of control of the car.

Some models have a U-joint in the steering column. Sounds like yours may be going bad. Not critical, until the day it snaps and leaves you without steering. Time to save up for the repair IMO.

It could be any number of things, steering joint included. However, I've never ever seen a steering joint in an H-body fail. Ever. I would put my money on a suspension component that's sending feedback through the wheel. Can you recreate the feeling while stationary? Have a helper turn the wheel while you put your hand on the front coil springs. If you feel a popping, you've got sticking upper strut bearings. Also check the front end for broke sway bar end links/a broken bar. Neither is uncommon, and will create a popping noise when the weight shifts from side to side.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
It could be any number of things, steering joint included. However, I've never ever seen a steering joint in an H-body fail. Ever. I would put my money on a suspension component that's sending feedback through the wheel. Can you recreate the feeling while stationary? Have a helper turn the wheel while you put your hand on the front coil springs. If you feel a popping, you've got sticking upper strut bearings. Also check the front end for broke sway bar end links/a broken bar. Neither is uncommon, and will create a popping noise when the weight shifts from side to side.

I'm going to second this, and add that I've been driving GM H-bodies since 1994, and I currently own 3 nicely running Buick Lesabres. Your "problem" isn't a torn boot; rubber boots don't go "pop" when you turn right. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gm+h+body+popping+when+turn+right

Originally Posted by mk378
Seems more likely it's a bad joint, loose bolt, or other actual mechanical problem. Yes this sort of thing needs to be checked immediately. There are places in the steering system for a single point of failure to cause loss of control of the car.

I had this happen on my Wbody my mechanic said a bolt was missing causing it he said the wheel could have flew off.. while driving

I think the transmission shop that worked on it had an extra bolt left
smirk2.gif
]

he found the problem on the spot..

miss him he passed away earlier this year
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Last edited:
Is it a locking steering column?

Might be the locking pin behind the steering wheel. Don't put the keys in the ignition, see if the wheel turns.

I know that this is a completely different car, but... I had the same problem on my Volvo S70. It was a bad ball joint. Once I replaced the ball joint, the "pop" in the steering disappeared.

Interesting; I have a similar pop, but it's when I'm going left. I'm not able to recreate it in the parking lot though--it appears I have to be moving, just sawing the wheel back and forth doesn't make the pop.

I've been ignoring it for the last year as I've figured it was either the strut bearing and/or it'd get worse and then be easy to find. But a friend of mine recently lost a balljoint: his car steered into a tree and totaled itself before he could react.

FWIW I just looked at mine, using this link. I'm not sure how much force needs to be used on the 2x4, nor if it should be replicated with the wheels straight ahead and then turned left and then right; but I didn't find any slop in anything on mine.

And of course, while on jackstands, no noise can be heard...

If it happens only when the car is moving, check the sway bar and links. You can also push on the car while it is parked to rock it side to side to see if it is related to one side going up and down.

With any suspension noise it often helps to be listening outside when it happens, have someone drive past you and do what needs to be done to make the noise.

Sorry I didnt reply sooner. This pop sound I hear is not a ball joint or any component by the wheels. It is right behind the dash where the steering column is.

Originally Posted by Mark72
Sorry I didnt reply sooner. This pop sound I hear is not a ball joint or any component by the wheels. It is right behind the dash where the steering column is.

This is why so many repairs are attempted unsuccessfully- "failure to communicate".

Last edited:
Very true. But with that.. Any ideas why the steering column would make a pop sound when I turn? When I asked my mechanic he said there is a boot in there and a joint that is greased and sometimes those go bad. I just wanted to mention this issue here on the forum to see if any of you have any thoughts on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back