Champion XC12YC plugs..anything better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave123
It might as well be a Ford vs Chevy debate

Not at all.

Pays to stay informed, this is not a brand popularity contest.

I had a Dixon mower go to its grave, deck was rotten not worth rebuilding the transmission, . It still had the original champion plug, it had never been removed. Started and ran fine. Probably had over 1000 hours on it, was 30 years old.

My tiller was so worn out I do not know how it ran, you could only till about 10 to 15 minutes before the 20W50 got hot and thin and the smoking got bad. Original champion plug, it had to be removed and cleaned once and a while.

79 model lawnboy, still the discontinued CJ14 plug it came out with. I have not touched it in about 5 years now. Still runs fine. Starts second pull same as always.

My generator has served thru 5 10 day power outages, still the original torch plug.

I wonder how you guys have so much trouble.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
I had a Dixon mower go to its grave, deck was rotten not worth rebuilding the transmission, . It still had the original champion plug, it had never been removed. Started and ran fine. Probably had over 1000 hours on it, was 30 years old.

My tiller was so worn out I do not know how it ran, you could only till about 10 to 15 minutes before the 20W50 got hot and thin and the smoking got bad. Original champion plug, it had to be removed and cleaned once and a while.

79 model lawnboy, still the discontinued CJ14 plug it came out with. I have not touched it in about 5 years now. Still runs fine. Starts second pull same as always.

My generator has served thru 5 10 day power outages, still the original torch plug.

I wonder how you guys have so much trouble.

Rod

Good for you.

On a sidenote, no one has ever backed in to my mailbox. It's because its cheap plastic I'm sure.

Originally Posted by Mamala Bay
Originally Posted by bchannell
I don't see that it matters what you use, as long as it's the equivalent plug to what's specified. Lots of folks say, use Japanese plugs in Japanese engines, American plugs in American engines etc. I blasphemed and used Autolite in my Kawasaki, and it's running just fine. Does it run better than NGK, I can't see that it does, I can't tell any difference between decent plugs. I've read where some say one brand or the other simply won't run in their engine, who knows, I can't imagine it's a big deal.

When you put many hours on a small engine that stress the spark plug on a commercial level you will notice the difference . Again any spark plug will work fine for home usage with LITTLE hour usage that doesn't have stress on the spark plug vs commercial.

That said Champion is crap vs NGK on a commercial level from my experience not the same league . I don't trust CHAMPION plugs. With many hours of usage stress on a spark plug I'll take the NGK from my experience.

I dunno, I've gone through six tractors, three JD, one WH, one Husq, one Simplicity, and owned a few others at the same time, that the previous tractors were my main mower. I mow about 6 acres a week, and do plenty of tree trimming, and log hauling work. I know it's not commercial use, but it's a fair amount of hard work. I have over 700 hrs on my present JD 425, and I've used NGK, Champion, and now Autolite. I can't say any of them were better than the others. I can say the Champions looked like they were made by grade schoolers in shop class, the quality control was just awful, but they did run ok with no hiccups. I don't use them anymore simply because other plugs are just as easily obtained, and seem much better made.I stress my equipment pretty hard, up hills and over banks hauling everything under the sun, cutting grass that got way to high because of rain or work or whatever. None of the plugs actually wore out, but I just replace them every so often to keep it fresh. From looking at the Champions quality, it doesn't surprise me that you say they don't last in commercial use, but for me and a lot of others that just simply isn't the case. My Husq never had anything but a Champion plug in it from new and is still running on Champions, maybe the same ones, who knows to this day, as a church has it now, and I doubt they do any maintaince on it, and it's a 2010 model, not too shabby.

All this for a mower with not even enough hours to warrant a plug change.
33.gif
I doubt you will notice any difference between a Champion, NGK, Autolite, etc in a normally running mower engine.

This is obviously a very opinionated topic. I used to be the NGK or nothing guy above. Until I ran a small engine shop. Maintaining commercial mowers. Thousands of hours on factory Champion plugs, engines ran fine. I'm a big fan of Made in USA champion plugs after actually using them on hundreds/thousands of engines and seeing how long they last, working perfect.

I just walked into the house after talking to my neighbor, who was telling me you can't use dino oil and then switch to syn, then go back to dino (YES, he used to be an Auto Zone employee!!!!!)?? I didn't bother telling him, I have two tractors, three cars, and have had many more of both, that were run many thousands of miles/hours using which ever I thought was good at the time. Spark plugs seem to be the same cup of tea, so much hype, advertising, and mis information, like oil, that doesn't hold water when it comes to actual use. I love reading the posts about someone using brand X oil, and how it made the car run so much smoother, start better, more power, etc, when we all know, the chances you could actually tell any difference from running Redline or Rural King! Did you ever watch or read those studies where people were asked to pick the best tasting bottled water, in a blind test, and they invariably choose bottled tap water?
Hey, I'm not making fun of anyone, as I used to bite on the same stuff some of the time, it's so pervasive, it's hard to understand real statistics and real anecdotal "statistics".

Originally Posted by tundraotto
NGK.....about a 100 plugs changed....

Doesn't say a whole lot of good about them.

Originally Posted by RichardZ
My Husqvarna riding mower calls for Champion XC12YC sparkplugs. I'm approaching 100 hrs on it. I the Champion XC12YC a decent plug or is there a better option? Just wondering…
NGK BPR5EIX Iridium plug, end of story.

An Autolite Xtreme Start Iridium has gotten me through the past 32 hours of the PG&E power outages here on my Yamaha 5200 generator. Only shut down to add fuel and top off oil.

I'm anticipating another 24 hours at minimum.

Screenshot_20191010-084201.jpg

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
An Autolite Xtreme Start Iridium has gotten me through the past 32 hours of the PG&E power outages here on my Yamaha 5200 generator. Only shut down to add fuel and top off oil.

I'm anticipating another 24 hours at minimum.

Sorry to hear of your troubles out there, but 32 hours shouldn't be particularly tough on a spark plug. Your Iridium plug should last hundreds or even thousands of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back