STP air filters this bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name any air filter that keeps 100% of air dirt free
lol.gif

What do other automotive air filters claim percentage wise for dirt entrapment? My guess is the same or worse. Or do they even mention it? Why would any company knowingly advertise something that they lagged behind the competition in performance claims?

Wow....90% isn't that great. Wasn't the AC Delco in the Spicer test 99%? [censored], K&N is in the mid-90s....hahahha

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I think it's another ploy to try to attract the consumer however in this case I am not sure it worked.
cheers3.gif

Didn't work on me. I live on a dirt road. If more than 2 cars drive by I must stop and wait for the dust to clear before I continue.

Would have been better had they quoted the ISO spec, probably unfortunate ad copy. Ninety percent still seems low, but note the 4x smaller quote, is that ISO? Is it really that much worse than Purolator? I bet that filter would trap 100% of gravel, so the devil is in the detail.

I've never been a stickler for closely looking at air filter quality other than it fit properly. My HVAC repair guy warns that many units are ruined by people who get the highest quality furnace filters choking off normal air flow. Seems like any filter has to measure filtering quality vs. throughput, or we'd all be using filtering media made of steel plate.

Originally Posted by billt460
What do other automotive air filters claim percentage wise for dirt entrapment? My guess is the same or worse. Or do they even mention it? Why would any company knowingly advertise something that they lagged behind the competition in performance claims?

Purolator 99 % per ISO 5011

Wix 99.5 % per ISO 5011

STP Premium air filter 98 % per ISO 5011 small dust test used

Fram Ultra 99 % per ISO 5011 small test dust used

So.. 90 % is terrible not matter what... And this math is super bad because it is based upon the power of 10s on a exponential form...

Even a 2 % difference is a big difference in what passes through a filter... A 9% difference is a MASSIVE/ Exponential increase in what passes through that filter...

That's why I have said the STP regular air filter should say it stops only horse flies, praying mantis, and hornets from entering your cars motor
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero

Wix 99.5 % per ISO 5011

So.. 90 % is terrible not matter what... And this math is super bad because it is based upon the power of 10s on a exponential form...

Even a 2 % difference is a big difference in what passes through a filter... A 9% difference is a MASSIVE/ Exponential increase in what passes through that filter...

That's why I have said the STP regular air filter should say it stops only horse flies, praying mantis, and hornets from entering your cars motor
lol.gif

And 100% of golf balls.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by bbhero

Wix 99.5 % per ISO 5011

lol.gif

And 100% of golf balls.

And golf balls too for the regular STP air filter
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Lol... good commentary guys. But i have no issue using these.

Me neither, I use the STP premium which imo is a great air filter and very well built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back