Oil Industry legend T. Boone Pickens has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
The folks at OK State university owe him a lot. He transformed that sleepy ag school into a modern day campus.

Mr. Pickens was an extremely generous man. Oklahoma State University was on the receiving end of more than $650 million thanks to his philanthropy. His donations to the athletic department are well publicized, but he was just as generous towards education as well. In fact, he was among those who made the Giving Pledge- a pledge to give away half of his wealth for charitable purposes. He was not perfect by any stretch, but a lot of folks are where they are today because of him, myself included. I was fortunate enough to be a recipient of his scholarship matching program while I went through my undergrad at OSU, a program wherein he matched every scholarship that was created during a 3 year period. Going through school with a family and full time job would've been much more difficult for me without his generosity, and the generosity of the family that created the scholarship.

He was the guy who started, "The Pickens Plan". He wanted to turn the Midwest into a giant wind farm. He approached the whole thing from a business standpoint. Not from some silly, pie in the sky, environmentalist pipe dream. He made practicality, production, land purchases, and money the top priority.

It never worked out. The financial pieces of the puzzle never fit. Which was too bad. If anyone could have pulled something like that off, he would have been the guy.

After that you didn't hear too much about wind power ever becoming a viable alternative as a major national energy source. Except from some of the far left nit wits you have running around the halls of Congress today. All screaming how Miami is going to sink, and we'll all be dead in 10 years.

He was a good man. We need more like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back