Best strut mounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jimzz
Originally Posted by DukeOfFrontenac
Not sure what to suggest in your case but the last couple sets of KYB shocks and struts I bought were a complete disappointment. Blew their guts out rather quickly. Sure, they are warrantied - send the dead ones back to them, they will inspect it, and let you know. While you wait for their answer, your car is up on jack stands going nowhere.

Years ago, KYB was my 'go to'. Not anymore.

Do you remember where they were made? I know KYB has a US plant now. So not sure if its a Japanese or US issue, or both.
I have seen a lot of complaints about KYB recently. Mostly their all in one struts, mounts going bad. But some about struts leaking out as well.

Yes I mentioned it in a previous post. Shocks and struts were made in Japan. The mounts were made in India as far as I can remember. Still that should mean nothing if the company enforced strict quality controls.

What kind of play does it have? You say it moves around when turning the steering wheel. The piston rod should not even rotate on this type of strut mount used on your 2010 Lancer.

Originally Posted by DallasTexas
Bilstein or Sachs. I have used both on my Benz. Sachs are Mercedes OEM

I ordered the NTN-SNR, because of the lower price compared to the ZF group mounts. ZF's mounts are also OEM for VW group cars as far as I know, by the way. NTN has a very good reputation for their bearings, I hope their mounts are of the same quality...

Originally Posted by Boosted240
What kind of play does it have? You say it moves around when turning the steering wheel. The piston rod should not even rotate on this type of strut mount used on your 2010 Lancer.

The left rod changes angle when the steering wheel gets turned. The right one jumps a little bit laterally. This motion is always visible, but some times this motion is accompanied with a clicking sound and a vibration that can be felt if someone holds the top of the rod with their hand.

The rubber of the mount as it can be seen from the top has no cracks and generally seems in almost perfect condition. (It's just 1 years old and has only 12,000 miles.)

I don't know if that play can be a result of a failed bearing. As I said the mechanic that changed the mounts used the old OEM bearings because the new one that was included in the box along with the KYB mount didn't fit in tightly and he said that it would be noisy.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Powerflex. They make a noticeable difference in grip while cornering and you will never have to replace them again.

I've heard on VW they can become very squeaky.

I have a set for a Beetle, that I'm a bit leery about installing them on.

Originally Posted by gamefoo21
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Powerflex. They make a noticeable difference in grip while cornering and you will never have to replace them again.

I've heard on VW they can become very squeaky.

I have a set for a Beetle, that I'm a bit leery about installing them on.

It's one of the sacrifices in order to gain better handling. The second thing you sacrifice is comfort.

Substituting mounts and bushings with polyurethane ones is a step further in upgrading the car's suspension. Most people would just upgrade their car's struts and shocks. I guess it's an overkill for those who like to squeeze every bit of performance when doing an upgrade.

Anyway, they are not available for my Lancer.

Sounds like the bearing is toast and causing the strut assembly to bind. In a properly working assembly the strut assembly is able to rotate smoothly with steering input, however if it binds, radial forces are exaggerated in the strut assembly, creating the play you see at the top of the strut rod. The bearing also seconds as a bushing/guide for the upper spring seat and strut piston rod, keeping it centered to the strut mount.

Well, it turned out that the safety bolt that was holding the strut to the mount was loose. The mechanic checked it only visually and only today used a wrench.

The KYB mounts didn't have a safety bolt included, only the bolts for installing the mount on the chassis, so the mechanic had reused the old safety bolt.

Originally Posted by inquirer
Well, it turned out that the safety bolt that was holding the strut to the mount was loose. The mechanic checked it only visually and only today used a wrench.

The KYB mounts didn't have a safety bolt included, only the bolts for installing the mount on the chassis, so the mechanic had reused the old safety bolt.

Correcting myself: The right term is obviously lock nut and not safety bolt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back