New Maxlife Jugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw these at Walmart today. They say "for high mileage vehicles" like the old Maxlife jugs used to.
New Maxlife Jugs 9/11/19

E9DC0F82-E936-4AD3-8F68-B0B141DF6358.jpeg

837184C1-C740-4004-A2A6-DE3D1CE833E0.jpeg

9CB1AA64-9BC6-4ED2-98B2-80087DD7AB3A.jpeg

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Do non-high-mileage fluids have seal conditioners?

Yes. Seal conditioners just keep the seals pliable and help them retain their elasticity. I emailed Valvoline a while back and asked them if Maxlife ATF had any seal swellers in it and they assured me that they do not use any seal swellers in Maxlife ATF. They do have a Maxlife with stop leak that you can use if you need seal swellers for some reason. I think those come in quarts and you add something like one quart of Maxlife stop leak per 10 quarts of ATF.
http://valvolinechemicals.com/sites/default/files/maxlife_with_stop_leak.pdf

"Suitable for use in over 90% of vehicles"

I guess if you have a conventional automatic (not CVT or DCT), Maxlife will probably work. Perhaps the 10+ different varieties of ATF I have on my shelf are in fact, pointless.

Looks to me like Valvoline brought the ML jug itself in line thier motor oil jug. That make sense to me. As for label, the important information including specs look clear and readable. I suppose one persons "dumb down" is another's clear and to the point. I would say label not as "flashy" perhaps, but really that's unimportant to me.

As for Multivehicle ATFs like ML, member Hootbro posted a link to a 7/17 Lubes and Grease article about them including their efficacy. Unfortunately the article can only be accessed with a subscription. However Hootbro c&p several key findings including real world results, if interested can be found in the link.

Thanks for pics.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-meets-many-specs-how-can-it#Post4470618

Originally Posted by The Critic

I guess if you have a conventional automatic (not CVT or DCT), Maxlife will probably work. Perhaps the 10+ different varieties of ATF I have on my shelf are in fact, pointless.

Yep, toss them all out and let me know how it goes then I may do the same. NOT.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by dubber09
They sure dumbed it down and made it looking cheap imho.

Meijer has it now too, I saw it a couple of days ago. The Premium Blue jugs are now the same style, just blue, and the label is similar looking. That was my first thought, that it was cheaper looking. I thought the old jugs look good.

It is never pointless. Corner cases will be different in each vehicle and manufacturer has to pass on each, even the ones that you will never run into in moderate temperature and humidity.

You only need to pass the one in your climate (moderate) for your driving habit (moderate) on your commute (same every day).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav

lol.gif

My spouse would be a lot happier if I can truly reduce my inventory.

I just checked my home shelf and found 5 different varieties alone; usually I have even more (currently out of T-IV, ATF134, Matic S).

78588DDD-3D3C-4BE7-A103-1EBF9FA7E21D.jpeg

Originally Posted by Trav

lol.gif

My spouse would be a lot happier if I can truly reduce my inventory.

I just checked my home shelf and found 5 different varieties alone; usually I have even more (currently out of T-IV, ATF134, Matic S).

Well done Michael, you got me beat; but not by much.
Honda DW-1, Idemitsu DW-1, Idemitsu WS, and a couple of Dextrons...
Additionally, I do have 3 brands of CVT fluid, if that counts...

Maybe I'll make a killer Frankenbrew?

Last edited:
All I have at home is Maxlife and Dexron VI. The 2 Toyota's that call for WS get Maxlife and the Trailblazer (4L60e) that originally specified Dex 3 also gets Maxlife. The (2) 3500HD Chevys with the Allison get Dexron VI.

The Trailblazer would have been filled with Dexron VI if Maxlife hadn't been about 1/2 the price of locally available Dexron VI at the time. I had the pan off a year or two ago and it was pretty much spotless, there wasn't even very much debris on the magnet. It's had Maxlife in it for 4 or 5 years now and I like how it's shifting on it, so I've decided to keep using Maxlife in it.

I think there are some vehicles that do need the OEM fluid, but I think Maxlife works well in most of the recommended applications.

I can actually buy Dexron VI cheaper than Maxlife now, it's also Recommended for WS applications so I've thought about trying it in one of the Toyota's and seeing what happens. Maxlife ATF is really close to Dexron VI itself. I've also been using Maxlife in place of Dex II/III for PS systems with good results.

[Linked Image]

I can also buy Havoline/Chevron Dex VI cheap locally, it is also recommended for WS applications.
https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=470377&docFormat=PDF

Originally Posted by CrazyElf
Did they reformulate it or just leave it as is?

It appears to be the same stuff as before. They haven't updated their product information sheet on their website anyways. I'm also pretty sure that their "transfer case fluid" is just Maxlife in a different bottle, the product information for it is exactly the same as Maxlife.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/3fa3136a-09bd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/519d756a-0cbd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back