Waterproof stock finish that won't hide wood beauty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a shotgun stock that I'd like to refinish. I'm planning on using an Aniline dye for color.

After dying, I'm hoping to find a "finish" that will protect the wood (and maybe be waterproof, to some degree), hopefully have some level of durability, yet be easy to repair when it gets scratched, etc. I'm hoping the finish product can be used to produce a shine that would range from satin to gloss, depending on how many coats I want to apply. I will apply Renaissance Wax when I'm all done.

Out off all of my desired characteristics, what is most important to me is to not hide the beauty of the wood.

I'm sure there are trade-offs since I doubt any one product has all of these characteristics, but can you offer any suggestions as a starting point?

Thank you!
Ed

I would simply use shellac. This probably isn't a traditional stock finish, but it works well and can be readily polished and dyed if you like. I use aniline dyes all the time in shellac. If you want to retain the beauty of the wood, don't color the wood itself, but rather the transparent finish you put on it!

I rub in clear epoxy glue, then go over it with fine steel wool when it's hardened. Put the glue in the refridgerator for a while first, so it doesn't go off too soon.

this:
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Originally Posted by Tyson
Tru-Oil from Birchwood Casey has a long history of great results.

Ding ding ding We have a winner!

Spray lacquer, it doesn't create layers. Each coat "melts" or amalgamates in to the last coat to make one layer. It makes it easier to touch up blemishes because it eliminates witness marks. There are some good write ups by noremf on stock refinishing on rimfirecentral.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger

Never a bad choice.

This is for a stock already in good shape......I had a beautiful Henry rifle with an American Walnut stock that had lots of character to it. I first rubbed it down with McGuire's Scratch-X, which is the automotive product for removing light clearcoat swirls in car finish. It is a very mild abrasive paste. It really shined up and glossed the finish which looked more of a matt finish when new. I then hit it with several coats of Howard's Feed N Wax, which really brought the wood grain out in a big way. It made it much more visible and brought out color that was much harder to see before. The difference was astounding. Of course, being a wax, it waterproofed it, or at least made it water resistant. The bonus was the nice citris smell after application.

I have a Henry Golden Boy and I've thought about doing this, but the grain isn't as prevalent as it was on the first one, which was a standard Henry .22.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by Blkstanger

Never a bad choice.

Another vote for Tru-Oil. I stripped two Mosin Nagants down to the bare wood (Birch). Stained and finished with several coats of Tru-Oil. They both turned out nicer than I ever imagined.

I used Tru-Oil on my M44 restoration. It really looks amazing in person. Very deep gloss that is a real pleasure in person. I applied it in steps, following the instructions. Unfortunately, the pictures simply don't show the depth and gloss. It's much like an automotive clear coat, with a deep shine.

This was a $69 gun, that looked like absolute junk, coated in preservative.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

I used Tru-Oil on my M44 restoration. It really looks amazing in person. Very deep gloss that is a real pleasure in person. I applied it in steps, following the instructions. Unfortunately, the pictures simply don't show the depth and gloss. It's much like an automotive clear coat, with a deep shine.

This was a $69 gun, that looked like absolute junk, coated in preservative.

Same situation I found myself in. Both of mine were saturated in cosmoline. But they turned out really nice, just like yours. Great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back