The Science of Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Originally Posted by buster
Both Castrol GTX MAGNATEC and Castrol EDGE provide the same excellent wear protection as measured in standard industry testing.

Castrol EDGE is our premium product line.

What I took away from the above was:
There's no (statistically significant) difference in anti-wear performance between our oils, but Edge is the most expensive.

I'm actually getting that take-away from basically _all_ the OTC engine oils out there. Can anyone disprove that take-away?

Real world use says differently......

Prove it...
wink.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I agree. Favorites can change like the tide. I made a few changes over the years as a result of being a member and doing my homework. I guess that goes with being a member.

It's good to have some strange now and then ...

thumbsup2.gif

Also found in EDGE formulations.

Per the video above:
"All that rubbing and pressing can lead to abrasion"
Later this evening I'll have to remember to use that excuse with the GF
lol.gif

Both Castrol GTX MAGNATEC and Castrol EDGE provide the same excellent wear protection as measured in standard industry testing.

Castrol EDGE is our premium product line.

What I took away from the above was:
There's no (statistically significant) difference in anti-wear performance between our oils, but Edge is the most expensive.

I'm actually getting that take-away from basically _all_ the OTC engine oils out there. Can anyone disprove that take-away?

Real world use says differently......

Prove it...
wink.gif

No. You're mind is made up and I'm in no mood to bang my head against a wall. All the information you need to reach an informed opinion is right here in the forum....

Originally Posted by 1bioguy
Intelligent molecules...not those stupid Valvoline ones. This is why I dont use Castrol at all.

I always railed against Castrol's marketing. I still don't care for it, or BP, all that much. It is what it is. You can't just make things up without legal ramifications.

If they claim 10x and 6x better on Seq IIIH and IVA, it has to be true.
21.gif

The video was for laymen that don't care much about technicalities.

Whether or not the oil does what the promotional ad says it will do is one thing, but I am more interested in finding out what was going on inside their test engine that produced that peculiar wear pattern on that camshaft lobe...I've seen the guts of lots of engines that have been abused, overheated, starved for oil, and just generally driven until they give out, but I have never seen a camshaft lobe wear like that.

It's almost as if they intentionally abraded the lobe to make the wear pattern like that so it would be easy to see and feel by the folks they handed it to,..and if that's the case, I find that bit of marketing trickery to be a little disingenuous on their part. Most people watching that video could come away thinking their engine could wear like that without the oil being advertised, when in fact, there is no reasonable scenario in which their engine would internally wear like that.

But I guess that's all buried somewhere in some fine print, so there's no way to call Castrol out on it...besides, they'd likely just blame the ad firm that was tasked with producing the video, and we'd be right back where we started!

Okay, good video'; opinion unswayed though; so I will be going on about my rat-killin' now.

Nuke, OUT!

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Whether or not the oil does what the promotional ad says it will do is one thing, but I am more interested in finding out what was going on inside their test engine that produced that peculiar wear pattern on that camshaft lobe...I've seen the guts of lots of engines that have been abused, overheated, starved for oil, and just generally driven until they give out, but I have never seen a camshaft lobe wear like that.

It's almost as if they intentionally abraded the lobe to make the wear pattern like that so it would be easy to see and feel by the folks they handed it to,..and if that's the case, I find that bit of marketing trickery to be a little disingenuous on their part. Most people watching that video could come away thinking their engine could wear like that without the oil being advertised, when in fact, there is no reasonable scenario in which their engine would internally wear like that.

But I guess that's all buried somewhere in some fine print, so there's no way to call Castrol out on it...besides, they'd likely just blame the ad firm that was tasked with producing the video, and we'd be right back where we started!

Okay, good video'; opinion unswayed though; so I will be going on about my rat-killin' now.

Nuke, OUT!

I agree. I don't recall seeing a cam worn like an old record. They were typically as smooth as glass. That's not to say it can't happen, I have yet to see one, but then again I maintain my vehicles, not neglect them.

All oils today do extremely well on the SEQ IVA wear test. Notice that almost every brand claims "unsurpassed wear protection - based on SEQ IVA". There are other parts of the engine though that obviously wear too. The Magnatec molecules are there instantly and don't need heat to activate and that is what they are basing this advantage on. How it translates to actual engines in real driving situations and actual engine longevity I don't know.

The Ti is interesting, which Magnatec now contains. Previously it was just in EDGE. The Ti levels are highest in the EDGE EP formulation.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Oil that clings.. sticky molecules..

Dirty oil full of blowby at the end of an OCI, would that stick too?
shocked2.gif

Good question. I read someone saying it will result in a dirtier engine ... curious to know if true or not. For example if a thin layer of oil sticks to the parts after a long drive and the parts are hot and the thin layer of oil evaporates ... then what? Can it leave more residue than a less sticky (not intelligent) oil?

Originally Posted by OilUzer

shocked2.gif

Good question. I read someone saying it will result in a dirtier engine ... curious to know if true or not. For example if a thin layer of oil sticks to the parts after a long drive and the parts are hot and the thin layer of oil evaporates ... then what? Can it leave more residue than a less sticky (not intelligent) oil?

BINGO!! Are the smart molecules smart enough to determine what should stick and what shouldn't stick? They'd be some pretty smart molecules.
wink.gif

shocked2.gif

Who said it would leave the engine dirtier? I'm not sure I agree. They are claiming that the Ti additive does well against deposit control. In the TEOST, which isn't as relevant as once thought, it did extremely well. Preventing deposits is keeping the engine clean.

shocked2.gif

Who said it would leave the engine dirtier? I'm not sure I agree. They are claiming that the Ti additive does well against deposit control. In the TEOST, which isn't as relevant as once thought, it did extremely well. Preventing deposits is keeping the engine clean.

In all seriousness, it might not leave the engine dirtier, but if it touts its ability to make the oil stick then the junk in the oil is sticking too isn't it?

Possibly. Castrol was never a brand known to keep engines clean like Mobil 1.

Yeah, I have saw cleaning done by m1 in my brothers GTO and other vehicles

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I agree. I don't recall seeing a cam worn like an old record. They were typically as smooth as glass. That's not to say it can't happen, I have yet to see one, but then again I maintain my vehicles, not neglect them.

I agree. In fact when you look at the video, its really not in focus, slightly out of focus. Also they say , this cam lobe was run with " intelligent molecules" this cam lobe was run without " intelligent molecules.

So that to me means the other cam lobe could have been run on anything, including a base oil with no additives at all! possibly without any triblo-film additives. ( they did not say they ran it with a competitors or other major brand off the shelf oil.) It could be wd-40, an HD oil, cooking oil etc.

I don't hate castrol producsts, but this marketing to me is deceptive.

Last edited:

It probably would of sludged out our Pentastar if not caught by accident. I know folks tire from hearing this … but Magnatec must be different since it is the only oil I have seen oxidation take over at any mileages … and it was barely past 3k.
The job at hand was to put fresh Valvoline 140 in the rear … the "corn dog" dipstick was on a random oil check

If I was hunting something cheaper than M1, Edge, PP etc … go QSUD any day before MT

Originally Posted by 4WD

It probably would of sludged out our Pentastar if not caught by accident. I know folks tire from hearing this … but Magnatec must be different since it is the only oil I have seen oxidation take over at any mileages … and it was barely past 3k.
The job at hand was to put fresh Valvoline 140 in the rear … the "corn dog" dipstick was on a random oil check

If I was hunting something cheaper than M1, Edge, PP etc … go QSUD any day before MT

That's disappointing for sure. A lot of the mediocre/middle tier synthetics don't have the oxidation resistance that the upper tier synthetics do. Especially Mobil 1 AP/EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back