two additives,now lower mpg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 Fusion 2.5 NA, 16.5 gallon fuel tank I added an entire bottle of a lucas fuel system cleaner, claims the bottle treats up to 22 gallons, maybe 24, dont really remember. I also added 3oz of two stroke oil as well. Car has 40k and is the first time an additive has been used. I have noticed this tank is about 3-4 mpg less than usual. I hope it goes back up to normal on my next fill up, what do you think?

It's possible your engine doesn't like the amount of top cylinder lube you put in the gas. Putting 9 oz. of oil in 16 gallons of gas may be messing with the fuel mixture causing sensors like the O2 sensors to send false information the the ECU. That much oil in the gas probably isn't good for the cats either. If I remember correctly, Lucas recommends 2 or 3 oz of their additive to every 10 gallons of gas.

yeah guys, going by the lie-o-meter is the difference Im seeing. I am at half tank right now, thinking about filling up OMW home tonight and resetting the trip to calculate a full tank. Give another week of driving to see what happens.

OMW = on my way?
Wasn't familiar with that new lingo.
confused.gif

Why put any additives in at all?!?
This just seems like a slashing at the darkness move....
There is no reason whatsoever to add 2-stroke oil to a 2016 Fusion.

Unless you like to chase your tail when things start to go haywire.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Why put any additives in at all?!?
This just seems like a slashing at the darkness move....
There is no reason whatsoever to add 2-stroke oil to a 2016 Fusion.

We here on BITOG go by the logic of: "if it ain't broke, clearly you aren't trying hard enough".
thumbsup2.gif

• Haha
Reactions: a5m
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I also added 3oz of two stroke oil as well.

WTH? Was that something an old timer suggested because it helped his '52 Studebaker run better? I'd try some barbecue sauce myself. The North Carolina style. The vinegar will help clean your injectors and the exhaust will smell like a pulled pork sandwich.

I have a 2012 Fuzion.. and the MPG thing.. lies all the time. Best tank i have had was with Redline Si-1 (Oreillys) and Exxon gas.

I know the logic of weight loss, if program A can lost 10 lbs and program B can lost 20 lbs so why don't we do both, so we can lost 30 lbs.

LOL!!!

All I am saying is more does not mean good.
In this case, more is probably means bad.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I have a 2012 Fuzion.. and the MPG thing.. lies all the time. Best tank i have had was with Redline Si-1 (Oreillys) and Exxon gas.

Using the best usually gets you the best results. Redline si-1 is a fantastic product. I use in conjunction with pea based throttle body cleaner for the 1-2 punch.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
I know the logic of weight loss, if program A can lost 10 lbs and program B can lost 20 lbs so why don't we do both, so we can lost 30 lbs.
LOL!!!

It's like that 20min ab workout "guarantee"...if you don't see results within 30dys, they'll send you an addtl 10min workout video for free!...‚

Ok seriously, the Lucas treatment is abt 5oz and you say you added an addtl 3oz of tc-w3 (why??).. that's apprx 8oz in a 16.5gl tank...not enough IMO to negatively impact combustion. It's all mostly a light oil (tc-w3 I've been reading is like a SAE20 in terms of viscosity); Lucas claims it uses no solvents in it's fuel treatment I believe.

There must be something else going on to explain your drop in mpg's. There's so many variables that can effect mpg's.

Check your plugs for signs of fouling. Have you been monitoring your LTFT's this entire time?...has it shot up positive (adding fuel) during this experiment???

Last edited:
There have been a few times when I have used additives and felt the engine didn't run quite right and/or I got poorer fuel economy...I always figured that cleaners didn't necessarily make the best fuel and things would seem to go back to normal the next tank.
I guess this also made me think that I was running too many additives...I ran a lot when I was young and now just use something like Gumout Regane or Techron every so often.
Multiple additives at once is something I would avoid no matter what.

I bought a big bottle of the Lucas cleaner/UCL a long time ago and got maybe halfway through it before I decided it was something I didn't really want to put in my car.
I will use a little bit here and there in the mower or snowblower and I am looking forward to getting that bottle off my garage shelf!

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I also added 3oz of two stroke oil as well.

WTH? Was that something an old timer suggested because it helped his '52 Studebaker run better? I'd try some barbecue sauce myself. The North Carolina style. The vinegar will help clean your injectors and the exhaust will smell like a pulled pork sandwich.

1oz of TC-WIII per 5 gallons of gas ( 640:1 ) is the standard mix most use:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4521102/

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2290010

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1573591/

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=388357

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2551228

My dad will not use another fuel additives: He drive "everlasting" Shell Nautilus. 1:800 in diesel and 1:1500 in gas engines.

"after edit"
NOPE. I have talk today shortly with my dad about it (phone). He mean ->
spankme2.gif
lol.gif

His 2stroke oil for gas is longly Evinrude/Johnson XD100, in 1:1500. No Nautilus.

Well first what are you doing using two stroke motor oil in the first place in a four stroke motor. It does not run on oil. Two stroke motors run with gas mixed with the oil. Four stroke motors are not meant to do that.

So you use your fifteenth post in nearly as many years to post this picture. You appear to be making fun of a person with a mental disability more than insulting your intended target. It doesn't get a lot lower than this. The kid seems happy as does the man giving him the prize. The woman in the background is happy as well. Are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back