The Science of Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Wow it makes me want to run out and dump the oil from all three of my vehicles and make the switch.
banana2.gif

No, you should put some Amsoil in there since their SS line claims up to 2 years of protection.
JK, Magnatec is the best oil I've tried in my Kia. The current fill of RP is surprisingly smooth as well, but no intelligent molecules

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by A_Harman
I didn't get what I was hoping to get out of the video, though.
Why, the fingernail scratch noise test wasn't scientific enough for you?
smile.gif

I rolled my eyes skyward on that one! Don't those people know that only people with calibrated fingernails should be allowed to judge surface roughness?

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Wow it makes me want to run out and dump the oil from all three of my vehicles and make the switch.
banana2.gif

No, you should put some Amsoil in there since their SS line claims up to 2 years of protection.
JK, Magnatec is the best oil I've tried in my Kia. The current fill of RP is surprisingly smooth as well, but no intelligent molecules

LOL These oil wars make me laugh. Castrol lost my business when they made the change from SM to SN. I was using their 0W20 gold bottle SM formula. Many here claimed the SN formula was a far cry from their SM formula. It took a step backwards they stated, I agreed. I've used Amsoil too. I recently made a change from Pennzoil back to XOM in one of my vehicles, the others may follow.

banana2.gif

LOL These oil wars make me laugh. Castrol lost my business when they made the change from SM to SN. I was using their 0W20 gold bottle SM formula. Many here claimed the SN formula was a far cry from their SM formula. It took a step backwards they stated, I agreed. I've used Amsoil too. I recently made a change from Pennzoil back to XOM in one of my vehicles, the others may follow.

After joining bitog I'm just eager to try all brands available out there. I feel like most people here are on the same page - today Amsoil is their favorite, tomorrow Magnatec, and then hey RGT has a nice promotion right now, later M1 runs a crazy $17 rebate and it's everyone's favorite.
With that said, I just put a new brand of oil every OCI and feel happy

My jug of oil says unsurpassed wear protection and references a wear test.. It isn't Castrol. So who to believe. Try the cell phone scratch test wit 120 grit paper and Magnetec and report back. I only see marketing in the video, no new info, same kind of sales they do on the bottles.

Originally Posted by Castrol North America
Castrol EDGE adds Titanium,

Apparently the news hasn't reached them yet that Magnatec now includes Titanium as well.
smile.gif

Apparently the news hasn't reached them yet that Magnatec now includes Titanium as well.
smile.gif

So that is the justification for the $2 a jug increase.

smile.gif

I was wondering about that, i could have sworn I've seen recent UOA's showing Ti

The main thing to take away from his response is:

1. Edge contains the MAGNATEC molecules.
2. Edge is their premium line and is a better overall performing oil under more severe testing.

Magnatec is a great value and great oil though.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

smile.gif

So that is the justification for the $2 a jug increase.

Maybe not for a BITOG'er but the avg person will pay the extra $2 if there's perceived value... that's the job of the marketing dept.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
I feel Castrol improved from SM to SN.

Many felt the beloved Edge 0W20 took a major hit from the initial changeover to SN. A lot was written about it here. Some of their offerings seen pretty good now, at the time Edge 0W20 and 0W30 was what I was using from them.

banana2.gif

After joining bitog I'm just eager to try all brands available out there. I feel like most people here are on the same page - today Amsoil is their favorite, tomorrow Magnatec, and then hey RGT has a nice promotion right now, later M1 runs a crazy $17 rebate and it's everyone's favorite.
With that said, I just put a new brand of oil every OCI and feel happy

I agree. Favorites can change like the tide. I made a few changes over the years as a result of being a member and doing my homework. I guess that goes with being a member.

I agree. Favorites can change like the tide. I made a few changes over the years as a result of being a member and doing my homework. I guess that goes with being a member.

It's good to have some strange now and then ...

The main thing to take away from his response is:

1. Edge contains the MAGNATEC molecules.
2. Edge is their premium line and is a better overall performing oil under more severe testing.

Magnatec is a great value and great oil though.

Seems like the Magnatec's Noack value is a bit lower than the Edge's - that's why I prefer the green bottle over the black one

Both Castrol GTX MAGNATEC and Castrol EDGE provide the same excellent wear protection as measured in standard industry testing.

Castrol EDGE is our premium product line.

What I took away from the above was:
There's no (statistically significant) difference in anti-wear performance between our oils, but Edge is the most expensive.

I'm actually getting that take-away from basically _all_ the OTC engine oils out there. Can anyone disprove that take-away?

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Both Castrol GTX MAGNATEC and Castrol EDGE provide the same excellent wear protection as measured in standard industry testing.

There's no (statistically significant) difference in anti-wear performance between our oils, but Edge is the most expensive.

I'm actually getting that take-away from basically _all_ the OTC engine oils out there. Can anyone disprove that take-away?

If you were to run these oils in the Sequence IIIH, GM Turbo test and other engine tests you would see a difference. For most of us you won't notice it.

Originally Posted by bulwnkl

Real world use says differently......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back