Beyond Rockauto, Where are you guys buying parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
eBay unless somehow RA is cheaper after shipping.

I look up the part on RA then do a search on eBay for it. Seems to work well.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Some of those online dealers add a ridiculous shipping charge to compensate for the low prices. $15 to ship a $20 part.

They might not be jacking up the shipping charges. Using my UPS account at work, to ship a package 4" x 4" x 4" that only weighs 1 #, from Ohio to OR, has a "published" rate of $14.89. The base rate is $9 and some change but there's a $4 residential surcharge. Yes, commercial accounts will have discounted rates off of the published rates but the discount is typically relative to the published cost (on a $15 shipment, one might get a 5-10% discount while on a $100 shipment, you might get a 25% discount).

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Some of those online dealers add a ridiculous shipping charge to compensate for the low prices. $15 to ship a $20 part.

They might not be jacking up the shipping charges. Using my UPS account at work, to ship a package 4" x 4" x 4" that only weighs 1 #, from Ohio to OR, has a "published" rate of $14.89. The base rate is $9 and some change but there's a $4 residential surcharge. Yes, commercial accounts will have discounted rates off of the published rates but the discount is typically relative to the published cost (on a $15 shipment, one might get a 5-10% discount while on a $100 shipment, you might get a 25% discount).

Umm, that would cost $7.50 in a USPS padded flat rate envelope, about $4 if a hair under 16 oz with first class. I hate some companies that only use UPS when I need a 4 oz $20 part that could ship for $3 and they want to charge me $13 shipping.

Umm, that would cost $7.50 in a USPS padded flat rate envelope, about $4 if a hair under 16 oz with first class. I hate some companies that only use UPS when I need a 4 oz $20 part that could ship for $3 and they want to charge me $13 shipping.

UPS SurePost (UnsurePost) or UPS Mail Innovations (Imitations)
mad.gif

I would be willing to bet that most high volume warehouses are really not set up to use First Class mail. Most are probably set up for small package shipping and putting something in a flat rate envelope is not SOP and not as efficient...thus not good for the bottom line.

Don't need a special envelope for 1st class. Any box works fine if under 16oz. Last two Amazon packages I got came in a padded envelope. So Amazon isn't high volume?

I'm just stating facts and one option. Go ahead and contact these dealers and convince them to use USPS. Fact is, most choose not to and their reasons are their reasons. My point is, if they're using UPS, their rates are reasonable.

advance auto part, i think i spend 20K+ thousand dollar on part order online, not just for me, but every one i work on their cars/

Amazon, Walmart or eBay. I don't purchase anything at Rockauto anymore, the shipping kills you.

Amazon, Walmart and eBay are usually free shipping and I've had no issues with returns or warranties. Now eBay I think you go in knowing that warranty issues could be an issue, but you know that going in...you make a decision on that before you buy, but the Amazons and Walmarts are fine.

Understand that, and they are not getting my business nor many others I presume.

I also factor in the shipping cost in my buying decision. What's really strange is that many people do not !

Supplier 1: Part cost $0.99, shipping is $14.99, total cost $15.98
Supplier 2: Part cost $4.99, shipping is $3.99, total cost $8.98

Some will go with # 1 because the item is only 99 cents !

Don't need a special envelope for 1st class. Any box works fine if under 16oz. Last two Amazon packages I got came in a padded envelope. So Amazon isn't high volume?

Packaging is not the only variable in shipping. An envelope has nothing to do with the type or volume of shipping.

Amazon for maintenance items, and the local Toyota dealer. I still know a high school friend at the local dealer who gives the same pricing a shop gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back