2008 BMW M3, BMW TwinPower Turbo 10W-60, 4945 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous UOA here. Now at 95449 miles on the engine.

Two road trips, a few blasts at the Tail of the Dragon, one tank of no-name non-ethanol gas, and one Techron treatment on this run. Also caught and fixed a pre-cat exhaust leak on one bank near the end, so there's probably some sub-optimal running as well (might explain the fuel dilution).

No idea where the silicon has come from. Maybe the VC gasket change I did just before this oil went in?

Copying the numbers here because Polaris's reports are kind of annoying to read:

Iron - 7
Chromium - 0
Nickel - 0
Aluminum - 2
Copper - 2
Lead - 0
Tin - 0
Cadmium - 0
Silver - 0
Vanadium - 0
Silicon - 23
Sodium - 2
Potassium - 1
Titanium - 0
Molybdenum - 49
Antimony - 0
Manganese - 0
Lithium - 0
Boron - 52
Magnesium - 30
Calcium - 2490
Barium - 0
Phosphorus - 840
Zinc - 957

Fuel Dilution - 1.8% (GC)
Soot - Water -
Viscosity @ 100º C - 18.3 cSt
TBN - 5.26
Oxidation - 11
Nitration - 10

Particle Quantifier (PQ) Index - 12

[Linked Image]

Did you really have to add 4 liters within 7k miles (6/19) and 1 liter within 5k miles for this most recent change?

IIRC the S65 has low tension rings so perhaps the fuel dilution is normal?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Did you really have to add 4 liters within 7k miles (6/19) and 1 liter within 5k miles for this most recent change?

Yep. Valve cover gaskets were leaking, and the oil cap wasn't quite sealing properly (common on these cars). Fixed the VC gaskets and improved the oil cap seal near the end of the 7k OCI. 1L top-off intervals went from ~1800 mi to ~2800 mi.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
IIRC the S65 has low tension rings so perhaps the fuel dilution is normal?

Got me. Most UOAs on this engine are from Blackstone so it's hard to find comparable measures of fuel dilution.

I'm sure some amount of fuel dilution is normal. I just don't know how much.

The fuel dilution has been steady through all the UOA's listed on Polaris' sheet. Seems like that's a characteristic of this engine.

Someday, somebody should do a study of how X% fuel dilution causes Y% oil viscosity loss.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Previous UOA here. Now at 95449 miles on the engine.

Two road trips, a few blasts at the Tail of the Dragon, one tank of no-name non-ethanol gas, and one Techron treatment on this run. Also caught and fixed a pre-cat exhaust leak on one bank near the end, so there's probably some sub-optimal running as well (might explain the fuel dilution).

No idea where the silicon has come from. Maybe the VC gasket change I did just before this oil went in?

Copying the numbers here because Polaris's reports are kind of annoying to read:

Iron - 7
Chromium - 0
Nickel - 0
Aluminum - 2
Copper - 2
Lead - 0
Tin - 0
Cadmium - 0
Silver - 0
Vanadium - 0
Silicon - 23
Sodium - 2
Potassium - 1
Titanium - 0
Molybdenum - 49
Antimony - 0
Manganese - 0
Lithium - 0
Boron - 52
Magnesium - 30
Calcium - 2490
Barium - 0
Phosphorus - 840
Zinc - 957

Fuel Dilution - 1.8% (GC)
Soot - Water -
Viscosity @ 100º C - 18.3 cSt
TBN - 5.26
Oxidation - 11
Nitration - 10

Particle Quantifier (PQ) Index - 12

[Linked Image]

Do you pay extra to get the Particle Quantifier Index measurement?

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Do you pay extra to get the Particle Quantifier Index measurement?

It's part of Polaris's "Advanced Engine Plus" test package. Great deal, BTW -- less than $24 apiece if you buy the 10-pack.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Having done Tail of the Dragon in my 328i, I can only imagine what it's like in an M3.
19.gif

If you like pucker moments and brake fade, it's great!
lol.gif

I felt the M3 was much more at home on the Cherohala Skyway. The Tail just felt too tight for a 3700 lb car with >400 hp and a normal-ish CoG height, at least for my tastes. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back