The Science of Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by buster
Also found in EDGE formulations.
Except Castrol never openly states that in any of their sales/marketing materials. I've always wondered what's the reasoning behind this approach, making Magnatec appear seemingly superior to Edge.

I agree QP. I had to email Castrol UK to get the answer.

I agree QP. I had to email Castrol UK to get the answer.

Did you phrase the question as "Hey, does Edge also have intelligent molecules, or is it just full of moron particles?"
smile.gif

Castrol North America is a complete joke. I wasted more time with them going over this. UK is far better in their responses.

Guys, your overthinking things. The answer is very simple, see the answer below from Penn and Teller.

It's MAGIC.

"Many thanks for your query and yes, Castrol EDGE contains the same clinging molecules as Magnatec, that will protect your engine from start-up."

BITOG wouldn't exist without us overthinkers. ...€

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Castrol North America is a complete joke. I wasted more time with them going over this.

This was my exchange with Castrol NA on this topic a few years back:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3602204/re-castrol-magnatec#Post3602204

Thanks. bobbydavro works for Castrol and he alluded that they do. I don't think Castrol NA knows anything to be quite honest. I sent them my UK response I'll let you know what they say.

MAGNATEC also has Ti. 30 ppm.

Castrol's advertising is so manipulative:
If you don't buy Castrol Magnatec, you don't really love your children.
If you really loved your children, you would buy an oil that wouldn't let your car's engine wear out and die on the way to drop them off at school.

But they actually do make good lubricants. I ran GTX in my Corvette on the track for years, and have gotten a good UOA on GC in the Camaro. I would try Magnatec if I really had a use for it. Maybe in the Camaro sometime, but I've got it on Valvoline MaxLife for now.

I didn't get what I was hoping to get out of the video, though. I have thought that the secret sauce in Magnatec was some ester content in the base stock. But the demonstration that the engineer gave with the intelligent molecules on the metal block made me think it was some kind of metallic antiwear additive carried by an ester solvent. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Last edited:
It's hard to say what it is and only Castrol knows. Additives have come along way to the point higher end base oils are not needed as much.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Castrol's advertising is so manipulative:
If you don't buy Castrol Magnatec, you don't really love your children.
If you really loved your children, you would buy an oil that wouldn't let your car's engine wear out and die on the way to drop them off at school.

But they actually do make good lubricants. I ran GTX in my Corvette on the track for years, and have gotten a good UOA on GC in the Camaro. I would try Magnatec if I really had a use for it. Maybe in the Camaro sometime, but I've got it on Valvoline MaxLife for now.

I didn't get what I was hoping to get out of the video, though. I have thought that the secret sauce in Magnatec was some ester content in the base stock. But the demonstration that the engineer gave with the intelligent molecules on the metal block made me think it was some kind of metallic antiwear additive carried by an ester solvent. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

The video isn't for the BITOG type who relish esoteric discussion on all things oil...this is geared more towards the avg consumer with just enough cell phone scratching demonstrations to get them excited about Castrol. (kinda like the guy at the county fair hawking nonstick pans.. "rubbing" it with steel wool then frying up an egg...‚)

That said... Magnatec's a great lube imo and if I wasn't such a tightwad I'd run it every day and twice on Sundays ...

Last edited:
The speakers (Engineers?) are wearing makeup! After watching the video, heck sounds like there is no need for an oil pump. Nice video by the way.....As always thanks Buster!

Originally Posted by A_Harman
I didn't get what I was hoping to get out of the video, though.
Why, the fingernail scratch noise test wasn't scientific enough for you?
smile.gif

LOL agree.

Essentially the additive technology of Magnatec and Edge covers the time period before ZDP activates, which takes time (heat). So before the calvary arrives it's doing it's thing.

This is appealing to me because 90% of my driving is very short trip. Even my commute to work is only 7 miles. Winter is coming....

Wow it makes me want to run out and dump the oil from all three of my vehicles and make the switch.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Wow it makes me want to run out and dump the oil from all three of my vehicles and make the switch.
banana2.gif

🗣ï¸Do it..🗣ï¸do it..🗣ï¸do it!...‚

[Linked Image]

Great response just received from Castrol North America. Faith has been restored.
smile.gif

"Further to the below, we apologize for any confusion and will clarify.
​
Castrol GTX MAGNATEC and Castrol EDGE formulations are different but both Castrol EDGE and GTX MAGNATEC formulations contain the intelligent molecule in the ILSAC /API SN PLUS grades. Castrol EDGE adds Titanium, our patented titanium molecule technology that has demonstrated anti-wear and friction reduction performance, to the mix so both products are great for stop and go engine operations.

In Castrol GTX MAGNATEC we specifically focus on warm-up wear as the distinctive performance feature of the brand.

From the standpoint of overall motor oil performance, Castrol EDGE is designed to meet tougher performance standards with specific focus placed on high temperature deposit control, maintaining viscosity under high shear conditions and high temperature oxidation performance.

Both Castrol GTX MAGNATEC and Castrol EDGE provide the same excellent wear protection as measured in standard industry testing.

Castrol EDGE is our premium product line.

Castrol Consumer Relations"

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Also found in EDGE formulations.
Except Castrol never openly states that in any of their sales/marketing materials. I've always wondered what's the reasoning behind this approach, making Magnatec appear seemingly superior to Edge.

Their production team could make a top notch movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back