Cleaned up my boat engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

After years of my boat and engine being shrink wrapped, it has gotten scuffed up somewhat from the shrink wrap buffeting in the wind and marked/damaged from where they tied/melted the rope together at the back of the engine.

Yesterday, by hand, I used Meguiar's Ultimate compound and I am real happy with the results! I was thinking, due to the amount of the scuffing over the years, that I likely wouldn't be successful but this stuff worked like a charm and removed the scuff marks just like advertised.

After I was done, I wiped/washed everything down and applied a coat of my go to wax in Collinite's 845 insulator wax.

I am real happy with the results. Imo, for a 2007 engine, she still looks fairly new.
11.gif

WP_20190911_16_47_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20190911_16_47_59_Pro.jpg

Excellent! I have the same 2007 only a 115 hp. Those motors are so reliable and quiet. I have ground the starter a few times because I couldn't hear it was running. Also have trolled with 9.8 running without noticing the 115 hp engine was running in neutral at the same time! LOL! Now keep it that way with white vinegar and water with a couple drops of soap and spray/wipe.

Originally Posted by buster
Looks great!

Thanks!
Originally Posted by ls1mike
That looks really good!

Thanks!
Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Excellent! I have the same 2007 only a 115 hp. Those motors are so reliable and quiet. I have ground the starter a few times because I couldn't hear it was running. Also have trolled with 9.8 running without noticing the 115 hp engine was running in neutral at the same time! LOL! Now keep it that way with white vinegar and water with a couple drops of soap and spray/wipe.

When I first got it back in the fall of 06, more than a few times I had to check to make sure it was still running. If it wasn't for the p*sser making a bit of noise splashing into the water, I'd swear it quit as well. Been as excellent for me as well, and I've put a pile of hours on it tubing/knee boarding and water skiing with my son and his buddies since he was 5. He is now 18 and was into triple tubing just a couple years ago.
Originally Posted by billt460
You did a beautiful job!

Thanks!
cheers3.gif

DSC_0065a (Large).jpg

HPIM0224 (Large).JPG

HPIM1859 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0376 (Medium).JPG

SDC10088 (Large).JPG

walker123.JPG

Last edited:
For what it's worth, when I had my boat I found that after a day on the water I would give the lower unit from below the water line, up to the power head a good soaking with Lime-Away. It easily removed all of that chalky calcium that would always build up in that area, and around the transom. It worked equally well on the back end of my jet ski's. They would not only get chalky, but stained black from the exhaust as well. And without Lime-Away it was a PITA to get clean.

They have all kinds of marine products for this. But most of them cost 4 times as much, and don't work half as well. If you haven't tried it, I'm sure it would really help keeping your black motor looking spiffy.

Originally Posted by billt460
For what it's worth, when I had my boat I found that after a day on the water I would give the lower unit from below the water line, up to the power head a good soaking with Lime-Away. It easily removed all of that chalky calcium that would always build up in that area, and around the transom. It worked equally well on the back end of my jet ski's. They would not only get chalky, but stained black from the exhaust as well. And without Lime-Away it was a PITA to get clean.

They have all kinds of marine products for this. But most of them cost 4 times as much, and don't work half as well. If you haven't tried it, I'm sure it would really help keeping your black motor looking spiffy.

Truthfully, Billt460. keeping my engine clean and keeping a scum line off it has never been a problem due to the fact my boat sits on my lift when not in use but thanks for the info just the same.

I am fairly anal with keeping my stuff clean and my boat is no exception so I have never encountered what you are talking about. I've seen many boats in our park/lake that have become covered in scum and it makes me cringe but I do understand not everyone can afford a lift nor do they have the room for one.

Up here, many use Slimy grimy and it seems to work really well at removing the scum/algae.

IMG_0384 (Large).JPG

WP_20180709_14_47_02_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back