DIY deicer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone of you uses DIY deicer during winter? I use 2/3 Rubbing alcohol and 1/3 water. It works like charm (although smells like IPA for a while in the car) but recently found that it can bubble the car paint.

I detailed one of the cars the first time and noticed the paint bubbling near the top of the windshield on the hood. Searched a few detailing forums and they do not suggest using IPA over the car paint as it can bubble the paint. Most likely that is the reason in my case. I have been using liberally for the decade.

Prestone deicer contains methanol and ethylene glycol, not too sure if that is DIYable.

Does anyone use anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Yup, I use a deicer.
It's called DEFROST Mode!
Often with the Remote Engine Start(RES) from the warmth of my home.

I'm just kidding with ya & hope you don't feel offended.
I have used deicer in the past but, not anymore!
IIRC, it was a DuPont(maybe PRESTONE) spray can w/ a scraper head on it.

CB
smile.gif

Last edited:
I don't use any de-icer either. In the past I have seen paint damage because the solution is not very compatible with paint. I use my remote start if my vehicles sit outside. It's too early in the season to talk about de-icing anyway!
lol.gif

The car 2006 Sentra, without a remote start.

Originally Posted by Char Baby

IIRC, it was a DuPont(maybe PRESTONE) spray can w/ a scraper head on it.

Yes, I have used that. After that, I started buying their liquid version, then switched over to the DIY version due to the amount I used to use.

@Fawteen,
Apartment dweller, no covered garage

@DriveHard,
Can't do much of that due to Raynaud's like symptoms. I will happy to lose paint than my toes and fingers.

De-icer = keeping car in garage, or starting car and let it warm up so the defroster can be used...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back