Nice tool set with junky carrying case

You can buy an oversize case with drawers, organize everything in the drawers, they will slide all over the place in your vehicle, make noise, and take up lots of space. This is what I do in my garage for tools that don't travel anywhere.

You can make your own storage solution using Kaizen foam, in the custom made or remade container of your choice. I appreciate the artistry that goes into this, but my tool collection is too fluid and changeable and my time too limited to indulge myself in this solution.

You can organize each set of tools (sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.) with the organizers made from them, such as socket rails, tool rolls, Ernst wrench organizers, oversized carabiners for box end wrenches, etc. This is what I do in my vehicle tool bags.

carabiner.jpg

ernst.png

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Craftsman is owned by Black and Decker. Sears, Lowes, and Amazon seem to be some retailers. Make your own case from wood.

I do feel that "sometimes" if you want it done right you have to DIY, but in this case? Heck no. Making your own case out of wood is a a huge amount of time to do it right, essentially reinventing the wheel, spending the value of time worth more than the tools, and ending up with something MUCH larger than it needs to be (unless you invest that much more time), and MUCH MUCH heavier too.

I do get it, a custom wood tool box can be a great showoff item, a source of pride or vanity, but it is a tangent in that direction, not at all a reasonable solution to any problem.

Now if you had suggested using polycarbonate instead of wood, most of the same things would be true but at least it wouldn't necessarily need to be nearly as heavy, or large. The only thing wood has going for it besides looks, is that the wood itself is free if you happen to have a scrap bin full of it. Wood really has no virtues whatsoever for tool storage, is just what colonists used when they had nothing better.

On the other hand, a man's free time and enjoyment working with wood, well that's a thing. it is not a terrible idea but frankly, if you want to put your heart into a wood project, use the wood for something besides tool storage.

What are your plans for this tool set? Primary garage use, junkyarding/ spare/ trunk set?

If it's garage use, I'd get a box or tool cart/ box combo.

Anything else, you'll either need a new set with a new case or an ammo can or took bag. Get a few rails to organize sockets and a roll to organize your wrenches. A 5 gallon bucket would work too.

Originally Posted by marine65
wrap a couple bungee cords around it and call it a day.

That's what I did back many years ago on a made in USA Craftsman set bought in the early 90's. Been a long time, but I think the hinges did not even last one year before they broke.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Blow-molded cases are trash and belong in the trash.

By a real toolbox and get organized.

[Linked Image]

This one would be a little difficult to carry around...

Harbor freight has lots of options for tool bags and nice plastic or metal cases. It sounds like portability is the key here?

You may have to add some socket holder strips and clips for wrenches if you want to keep them organized in there.

I have a nice Husky socket set I bought many years ago to use at work. The case split right on the cheesy plastic hinge. Since the rest of it was in good shape and all the tools fit perfectly in it, I repaired it with a stainless piano hinge. Been fine ever since.

I have a friend that is an absolute artist with wood. He has tool boxes that he made himself. I can't even imagine.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Blow-molded cases are trash and belong in the trash.

By a real toolbox and get organized.

[Linked Image]

This one would be a little difficult to carry around...

Pelican case. Make your own "drawers" with sheet metal or ¼" plywood. Glue the tool foam to the trays, make 550 cord handles.

If you hit up a Lowe's you can find the Kobalt branded 8 rail socket tray for under $20.

Kobalt socket tray

They're painting them red now and selling them for $35 under Craftsman but they're high quality either way.

Back