Castrol SRF Shortage
by kyoo - 09/17/19 01:26 PM
All aftermarket drums and shoes = junk?
by nthach - 09/17/19 12:38 PM
Synthetic ISO 32 Hydraulic Fluid for BL-7000SLX
by 05UFCaptain - 09/17/19 11:51 AM
TPS only seeing 3.7v at WOT
by joegreen - 09/17/19 11:39 AM
Granite Countertops Are Magnetic. Who Knew ?
by Dwight_Frye - 09/17/19 09:44 AM
2019 J.D. Power VDS
by buster - 09/17/19 09:05 AM
Possible to add catch can?
by cwilliamsws6 - 09/17/19 09:02 AM
Update on GF-6
by buster - 09/17/19 08:40 AM
motul eco-lite 5w30
by avi1777 - 09/17/19 07:47 AM
Newest Members
thetransman, SamBilbrey, williamfoster060, kappa8, jayrod65
69308 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
87 registered members (2002 Maxima SE, ammolab, 379KITTY, 4WD, 2004tdigls, 5 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 32 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics294,697
Posts5,064,829
Members69,308
Most Online3,532
Jul 30th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Best strut mounts? [Re: inquirer] #5210468 09/11/19 08:25 PM
D
Dave9 Offline
D
I'm seeing a Sachs part # for that so that is what I'd get if available in Greece.

Re: Best strut mounts? [Re: inquirer] #5210616 09/12/19 02:02 AM
The Critic Offline
Originally Posted by inquirer
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by inquirer
Originally Posted by Char Baby
OE

Sure, but they are definitely overpriced. I exclusively use aftermarket parts and that's my first bad experience.

The situation with aftermarket seems to get worse by the month. I would strongly caution against taking that position.

It depends. At the same price as OE brake pads or shock absorbers, you can buy upgrade parts.for example, brake pads that are intended for high temperatures or shock absorbers intended for sports driving like Bilstein B6.

High temperature friendly brake pads are generally terrible when cold. When driving around town or on the highway, good performance at cold temps is critical.

Very very few mainstream cars have Bilstein B6 struts available for their application. It is generally limited to high-performance cars or high(er) performance German Cars. Most of the time, aftermarket is in reference to white-box branded parts or junky Monroe/KYB.

2011 Toyota Prius 1.8L - 195K - Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20
2007 Honda Accord 2.4 - 138K - Mobil 1 EP HM 5W-30
Re: Best strut mounts? [Re: DukeOfFrontenac] #5210658 09/12/19 06:02 AM
I
inquirer Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by maintenanceMan
I bet your top mount bolts aren't tight. When I install struts, I find that after driving for the first time, I often need to tighten things up.

Unfortunately, it seems all bolts are tight. What jumps around (a little bit) is the strut's rod. The same number of threads are visible on both rods, so I guess that similar torque has been applied to both struts.
Anyway, the problem started after 12,000 miles, many of which included spirited driving on curvy mountain roads, so I guess if the bolt had got loose it would have happened earlier.
The mount's rubber externally seems in almost perfect condition, but I'm not sure if that means it's the same on the other side which I can't inspect without removing the strut.

By the way, the mechanic had used the old bearing, because the one included with the KYB mount was not fitting in tightly. I wonder if the play can be a result of a failed bearing and not the mount itself.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Do believe Sachs is OEM on American built Toyota,seems like the route to go if you cannot get OEM at a reasonable price.

I find Sachs and Lemförder in almost double the price compared to other aftermarket brands. I'm not sure if the quality is much better than the other brands though, but my impression is that the generally produce quality parts, like TRW which all are part of ZF group. Anyway, KYB mounts are also OEM for some car brands and also Monroe for other brands, but that's not a guarantee that aftermarket parts will be of the same quality. Definitely, I'm disappointed with the KYB mounts. The bearing they included in the box was lose, it didn't fit properly and that's unacceptable for me. Also I read bad reviews in 2 different Toyota forums for the KYBs so I don't think I will use them again.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Most are made in china. So its a crap shoot at best.
What I have done that seems to work well is take them apart and put better grease in them. The ones I have opened had very little grease and it did not look that good as well. Cleaned the bearings and pack them well with a good grease. Marine grease works well due to its wash out resistance.
Some are sealed so those are a bigger gamble.

If you read my reply to maintenanceMan the mechanic used the old beraing which were the OEM, because the one's included with the KYB mounts were loose. That makes me wonder if the problem is with the old bearing and not the mount itself.
The KYB struts and rear shock absorbers I purchased were made in Japan, but the mounts were made in India, as far as I can remember. But that's something normal I guess. I changed an outer tie rod with a Lemförder and it was made in Korea, not in Germany, so as I said that's something that tends to become standard. The thing is if the company enforces strict quality controls to overseas factories. If the answer is yes then I would think that there wouldn't be any difference regarding their quality.

Originally Posted by DukeOfFrontenac
Not sure what to suggest in your case but the last couple sets of KYB shocks and struts I bought were a complete disappointment. Blew their guts out rather quickly. Sure, they are warrantied - send the dead ones back to them, they will inspect it, and let you know. While you wait for their answer, your car is up on jack stands going nowhere.

Years ago, KYB was my 'go to'. Not anymore.

Well, I now have KYB struts and shocks isntalled on my car and everything seems good so far. I'm not impressed with their mounts though which were made in India. Their struts and shocks were made in Japan, if that has any significance.

Originally Posted by Dave9
I'm seeing a Sachs part # for that so that is what I'd get if available in Greece.

Yes, they produce strut mounts for my Lancer. I don't know if anyone imports them to Greece, but I can order them from abroad. No problem with that. See my answer to GZRider about them.

Originally Posted by The Critic
High temperature friendly brake pads are generally terrible when cold. When driving around town or on the highway, good performance at cold temps is critical.

Very very few mainstream cars have Bilstein B6 struts available for their application. It is generally limited to high-performance cars or high(er) performance German Cars. Most of the time, aftermarket is in reference to white-box branded parts or junky Monroe/KYB.

EBC Yellostuff and Ferodo DS2500 have a high friction coefficient even in cold temperatures. Manufacturers always give a warning for pads that don't have a good bite when cold, saying that they are only intended for track use. The downside with this pads is that are dusty and have a shorter lifespan than pads that are intended for normal use.
About B6 struts you are wrong. They are available for almost every European car. I had a Ford, 75 horsepower, and the yellow Bilsteins were available for it. I just checked the Mercedes A-Class A 160 with 10p hp horsepower, same as my Lancer, and they offer a coilover adjustable strut for it.

Re: Best strut mounts? [Re: Wolf359] #5210666 09/12/19 06:19 AM
I
inquirer Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Monroe is probably the top seller so that's why you get people who say to avoid them because statistically you're going to get a range of people who will have problems with them and the most popular one is going to have the most negative comments. KYB is also up there and same with the negatives. I've had ok results with Monroe myself. Usually best in general is OEM.

That's maybe a valid explanation, though I found more people complaining about KYBs than Monroes. Ideally we should see failure rates, instead of raw numbers.

Re: Best strut mounts? [Re: DukeOfFrontenac] #5210711 09/12/19 07:23 AM
J
Jimzz Offline
J
Not sure what to suggest in your case but the last couple sets of KYB shocks and struts I bought were a complete disappointment. Blew their guts out rather quickly. Sure, they are warrantied - send the dead ones back to them, they will inspect it, and let you know. While you wait for their answer, your car is up on jack stands going nowhere.

Do you remember where they were made? I know KYB has a US plant now. So not sure if its a Japanese or US issue, or both.
I have seen a lot of complaints about KYB recently. Mostly their all in one struts, mounts going bad. But some about struts leaking out as well.

yup
Re: Best strut mounts? [Re: Jimzz] #5210716 09/12/19 07:33 AM
I
inquirer Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Jimzz

Do you remember where they were made? I know KYB has a US plant now. So not sure if its a Japanese or US issue, or both.
I have seen a lot of complaints about KYB recently. Mostly their all in one struts, mounts going bad. But some about struts leaking out as well.

Yes I mentioned it in a previous post. Shocks and struts were made in Japan. The mounts were made in India as far as I can remember. Still that should mean nothing if the company enforced strict quality controls.

Re: Best strut mounts? [Re: inquirer] #5211276 09/12/19 10:27 PM
D
DallasTexas Offline
D
Bilstein or Sachs. I have used both on my Benz. Sachs are Mercedes OEM

06 E320 CDI 98k miles
14 Sienna 33k miles
96 E300 297k miles Donated
Re: Best strut mounts? [Re: inquirer] #5211298 09/12/19 11:14 PM
B
Boosted240 Offline
B
What kind of play does it have? You say it moves around when turning the steering wheel. The piston rod should not even rotate on this type of strut mount used on your 2010 Lancer.

Re: Best strut mounts? [Re: Boosted240] #5211380 09/13/19 04:52 AM
I
inquirer Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by DallasTexas
Bilstein or Sachs. I have used both on my Benz. Sachs are Mercedes OEM

I ordered the NTN-SNR, because of the lower price compared to the ZF group mounts. ZF's mounts are also OEM for VW group cars as far as I know, by the way. NTN has a very good reputation for their bearings, I hope their mounts are of the same quality...

Originally Posted by Boosted240
What kind of play does it have? You say it moves around when turning the steering wheel. The piston rod should not even rotate on this type of strut mount used on your 2010 Lancer.

The left rod changes angle when the steering wheel gets turned. The right one jumps a little bit laterally. This motion is always visible, but some times this motion is accompanied with a clicking sound and a vibration that can be felt if someone holds the top of the rod with their hand.

The rubber of the mount as it can be seen from the top has no cracks and generally seems in almost perfect condition. (It's just 1 years old and has only 12,000 miles.)

I don't know if that play can be a result of a failed bearing. As I said the mechanic that changed the mounts used the old OEM bearings because the new one that was included in the box along with the KYB mount didn't fit in tightly and he said that it would be noisy.

Re: Best strut mounts? [Re: maxdustington] #5211529 09/13/19 08:43 AM
G
gamefoo21 Offline
G
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Powerflex. They make a noticeable difference in grip while cornering and you will never have to replace them again.

I've heard on VW they can become very squeaky.

I have a set for a Beetle, that I'm a bit leery about installing them on.

Re: Best strut mounts? [Re: gamefoo21] #5211571 09/13/19 09:28 AM
I
inquirer Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by gamefoo21
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Powerflex. They make a noticeable difference in grip while cornering and you will never have to replace them again.

I've heard on VW they can become very squeaky.

I have a set for a Beetle, that I'm a bit leery about installing them on.

It's one of the sacrifices in order to gain better handling. The second thing you sacrifice is comfort.

Substituting mounts and bushings with polyurethane ones is a step further in upgrading the car's suspension. Most people would just upgrade their car's struts and shocks. I guess it's an overkill for those who like to squeeze every bit of performance when doing an upgrade.

Anyway, they are not available for my Lancer.

Re: Best strut mounts? [Re: inquirer] #5211815 09/13/19 01:42 PM
B
Boosted240 Offline
B
Sounds like the bearing is toast and causing the strut assembly to bind. In a properly working assembly the strut assembly is able to rotate smoothly with steering input, however if it binds, radial forces are exaggerated in the strut assembly, creating the play you see at the top of the strut rod. The bearing also seconds as a bushing/guide for the upper spring seat and strut piston rod, keeping it centered to the strut mount.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™