Recent Topics
Emission Readiness monitors
by bowlofturtle - 09/19/19 10:12 PM
Thoughts on the GM strike?
by Vern_in_IL - 09/19/19 09:37 PM
tropical storm imelda blows up everynight?
by motor_oil_madman - 09/19/19 09:12 PM
2017 Corvette / Mobil 1 ESP 0w40 / 5.2k mi
by dparm - 09/19/19 08:57 PM
2019 Lexus UX 250h
by Direct_Rejection - 09/19/19 08:56 PM
Gas theft
by tahoe_hybrid - 09/19/19 08:04 PM
Aisin 09G transmission fluid?
by sloinker - 09/19/19 07:44 PM
Oil for 2005 BMW X3
by Nyquist - 09/19/19 07:34 PM
Golden Eagles Take Down Deer and Wolves
by buster - 09/19/19 07:31 PM
P21S Windshield Washer Booster
by mclasser - 09/19/19 06:30 PM
Why warm up oil before a UOA sample is taken?
by paulri - 09/19/19 06:21 PM
Selling the 97 Camry V6 again
by PandaBear - 09/19/19 05:15 PM
FRAM Orange Cans
by KevGuy - 09/19/19 05:13 PM
Colt Ceases Civilian AR-15 Production
by billt460 - 09/19/19 04:50 PM
Amsoil “synthetic technology”
by spiderbypass - 09/19/19 03:15 PM
Oil Change Special @ Firestone
by Mad_Hatter - 09/19/19 01:05 PM
Newest Members
Srfridd, V1313, Ecan89, ProBest, Zolton
69333 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
86 registered members (4WD, aquariuscsm, ACC, berlyn, bdcardinal, alchargo, 8 invisible), 1,524 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics294,800
Posts5,066,848
Members69,333
Most Online3,532
Jul 30th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: LED Rear Brake Lights [Re: Deontologist] #5210581 09/11/19 11:39 PM
S
Skippy722 Online Content
Online Content
S
Originally Posted by gathermewool
I purchase my LED's from reputable retailers. I might be over-paying, but I feel like you get what you pay for.

All of my LED's are from Diodedynamics.

RE: blinker rapid-flash fix: DD replaces a module instead of increasing the load on the circuit:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/led-flasher-for-2009-2018-subaru-forester.html

+1 for Diode Dynamics. Love my SL1 LED headlights.

Originally Posted by Deontologist

In my experience, LED taillamp bulbs are rarely worth bothering with. Major manufacturers don't give a [censored] about your safety. I find it riseable to expect a safety improvement from a no-name Amazon brand.

1) Philips Vision LED installed in place of incandescent bulb: killed the side-marker functionality of the taillamp. So now people are less able to see your car from the side. Second, the LED lit up fine when I turned on all the lights. But, when I had someone hit the brakes, the entire LED bulb shut off. The back of the car went completely dark (save for the CHSML). Neat function! And this is a "5-star" LED with the package saying it's "road legal" and it's all backed by a 12-year warranty. For some reason, brake light bulbs that shut off when you hit the brakes make me think that you won't be around long enough to cash in on the 12-year warranty wink.

2) Sylvania LED installed in place of incandescent bulb: killed the side-marker functionality. The LEDs lit up fine with the lights on. But, when I had my helper hit the brakes, the brake light did not get any brighter, which is the expected/correct behavior for this car. So, again, people behind you don't realize that you've hit the brakes. The package says "lifetime warranty" but for some reason, I don't think that you'll have a particularly long lifetime with taillamps that don't work wink.

These are products sold by Sylvania and Philips. Who do you think is more likely to be sued for selling crappy products--Sylvania and Philips, or some random factory in China pumping out LEDs that are only sold on Amazon.com? What are we going to do, extradite some poor chap from China for causing people to get rear-ended? The reality is that few people give a crap about whether you live, die, or end up paralyzed for life--not even Sylvania or Philips seem to care smile.

I’ve found those Sylvania and Philips LED’s are VERY application specific. I had the Sylvania ones in my Durango and they worked but needed a resistor to make them not hyper flash (the ultimate reason I removed them). Filled the brake/turn light perfectly, dim mode was similar to the regular bulb and the turn/brake mode was a little brighter. But the dinky little 194’s for the tailgate lamps? Absolutely garbage.

I don’t recommend switching to LED if you have to wire in resistors... if you put a resistor in and the LED fails, the car might not know the LED has failed and you won’t know you don’t have any brake lights unless you check them frequently.

2016 Chrysler 300S v6
2018 Dodge Grand Caravan GT

Slight Mopar obsession
Re: LED Rear Brake Lights [Re: supton] #5210613 09/12/19 01:52 AM
B
bbhero Offline
B
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I personally am OK with what I have . The LED's would save a little electricity , but I doubt you would ever realize it at the fuel pump .

LED headlights would save more energy / fuel , I think . Still do not know if you could tell the difference at the pump .

But if that is the way you wish to spend YOUR money , knock yourself out . :-)

Wyr
God bless

I like LED tailights, they turn on faster and thus might shave precious milliseconds off reaction times. OTOH less heat being made means possibly being coated in snow in bad weather. They certainly can be brighter and sharper.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
BTW, if these aftermarket units are sourced from China, we're probably talking way less than 2-5 years from concept to production...maybe 2-5 months?
;^)

I was thinking more along the lines of your chips, if you were working a for a semi that in turn supplied an OEM (or one of their vendors), then it's a 2 to 5 year wait. China, that's more like 6 months I'm guessing, consumer products are much faster out the door, and wild guess here on these bulbs is that it's not OEM quality level. wink

Interesting you mentioned the faster light up time....

Very true.

When I installed a led right tail light. . I noticed it came on faster than the old left side. I thought that was very peculiar. Well I got a led just yesterday for my left side .. now they both light up just has fast.

Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 5w30 Wix 57356 Oil filter
"Treat your family like your friends and treat your friends like your family."
Re: LED Rear Brake Lights [Re: LotI] #5210971 09/12/19 01:22 PM
E
exranger06 Offline
E
Originally Posted by LotI
Originally Posted by mk378
Yes you wire the resistors in parallel with the LEDs to fool the car's bulb check circuit which measures the current flow.

Don't you mean in series? In parallel would reduce the resistance/increase current. I've never used load resistors to wire in LED's so no first hand experience. It's been a long time since I've played with circuits...30 years?!

No, the proper way to wire them is in parallel. You're right that wiring the resistors in parallel would reduce the resistance and increase current. And that's exactly what you need to do to keep the bulb-check light from turning on. Think about it: if you have a burned-out incandescent bulb, how much resistance does it have? How much current is flowing through that circuit? The answers: infinite resistance and zero current. And that's what makes the bulb-check light turn on. An LED bulb has very HIGH resistance and draws a very LOW amount of current, just like a burned-out bulb. (low current = low power consumed = energy efficient) If you want the bulb check light to stay off, you need to decrease the amount of resistance and increase the amount of current in the circuit. The load resistors consume power (more power = more current flowing through the circuit) which keeps the bulb-check light off, but negates at least some (best case scenario) energy savings (negates ALL energy savings in worst case scenario).

2006 Ford Ranger Sport
1992 Honda Accord EX
2013 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD
1994 Ford Bronco XLT (project)
2011 Cadillac Escalade ESV (wife's)
Re: LED Rear Brake Lights [Re: supton] #5215463 09/17/19 05:28 PM
V
Virtus_Probi Offline
V
Originally Posted by supton

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
BTW, if these aftermarket units are sourced from China, we're probably talking way less than 2-5 years from concept to production...maybe 2-5 months?
;^)

I was thinking more along the lines of your chips, if you were working a for a semi that in turn supplied an OEM (or one of their vendors), then it's a 2 to 5 year wait. China, that's more like 6 months I'm guessing, consumer products are much faster out the door, and wild guess here on these bulbs is that it's not OEM quality level. wink

I can see you've dealt with automotive qual in some capacity... ;^)

2014 Forester XT, 105000 miles
Last Change;
PP 5w30 d1G2
Tokyo Roki 15208AA170 filter
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™