Lucas upper cylinder and injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was walking around the parts shop on the weekend and saw a bottle of Lucas upper cylinder and injector cleaner on sale. I didn't buy it but I was wondering if anyone used it or its just money down the drain snake oil?

Here in America its the holy grail for parts store employees. No matter whats wrong with your car they will try to sell you a bottle.. no matter what you buy they will try to sell you a bottle.

With that being said.. Techron or Redline Si-1 along with some Gumout...have the highest concentration of PEA.

Can't say it did anything for me the one time I used it. It didn't increase/decrease mpgs or anything and I didn't notice any plug fouling so that was a plus. My understanding is there are no solvents or PEA so I'm not sure of it's cleaning abilities. I suppose it helped lube the upper cylinder (UCL) but there are cheaper alternatives for that, like MMO or some use TCW3 oil as it's even cheaper.

I guess I'm indifferent to it...meh

Last edited:
I bought a small bottle years ago and put it in my beater Saturn. Noticeably smoother and better throttle response. Bought a quart. Then several gallons. Sold the Saturn. I use it every fill up on my Elantra to use up what I bought. Idle is quiet and smooth. Throttle is responsive and highway mileage is great. Is that due to the Lucas or Hyundai engineering? No way for me to prove anything.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I use a bottle at each oil change. Haven't had a bad injector yet.

Me neither, but I haven't ever used it in about 1.2 million combined miles on my vehicles. One time I did use a fuel system cleaner on my BMW because it had a rough idle, but that turned out to be a pushed-back pin on an injector plug.

IMHO the best upper lube Marvel Mystery Oil, 5 oz to 10 gal fuel. OR TC-W3. 1 oz to 5 gal fuel.

Originally Posted by red7404
IMHO the best upper lube Marvel Mystery Oil, 5 oz to 10 gal fuel. OR TC-W3. 1 oz to 5 gal fuel.

The tcw3 thing.. I've heard of it but haven't really done a deep dive on it's efficacy.

Does it work?
Doesn't the oil cause carbon in the combustion chamber or does it burn clean??
How about the emissions on a passenger car??

i started useing TC-W3 last year on my frontier. V6 auto trans. it had 45,000 when i got it. has 56,000 now. have had no issues at all. the TC-W3 goes in each fill up. i use Quicksilver marine lubricants, 2-stroke engine oil. the mix ratios on the back are for 2 stroke engines so dont use that char for 4 stroke engines. do use 1 oz for 5 gal of gasoline. it is a a little thicker than MMO.

Originally Posted by red7404
i started useing TC-W3 last year on my frontier. V6 auto trans. it had 45,000 when i got it. has 56,000 now. have had no issues at all. the TC-W3 goes in each fill up. i use Quicksilver marine lubricants, 2-stroke engine oil. the mix ratios on the back are for 2 stroke engines so dont use that char for 4 stroke engines. do use 1 oz for 5 gal of gasoline. it is a a little thicker than MMO.

Dino or synthetic, or does it make a difference? I would think a dino would burn more fully in the combustion chamber??.. leaving less of the tcw3 to make it's way into the crankcase or sucked out the exhaust valves??

Originally Posted by Surestick
Originally Posted by MVAust
Does 2 stroke oil effects the catalytic converters?

The TC-W3 stuff isn't supposed to. It doesn't have any additives that should affect the catalyst.

So it doesn't produce (when burned) any soot like stuff that could coat O2 sensors or Cats??

Lucas is a well known brand, and people has been using it for years. I honestly myself use dollar tree fuel additives, but whenever I change my oil I use Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. Of course I have a 92 Bonneville so my car can take the regular stuff. If you have a newer car that uses 0w20, 0w10, or 0w8 oil you will have to use the low viscosity oil treatment. My car has more acceleration, gets better gas mileage, runs better, starts easier, drives quieter, and the engine has less fits. The gas treatment should be good too. It is a very good brand, and overall more people should use it. So go ahead, most likely it is well more than worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back