Use crock pot to clean grimy gun parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of using an old crock pot to clean some gun parts?

I'm thinking of using an old, small crock pot that I have to submerse some parts (trigger assembly, bolt assembly, etc.) off an old shotgun that haven't been cleaned in years and have some caked on grease. After complete disassembly, I'm thinking if I put the crock pot on low, fill it with some liquid (maybe Dawn detergent, Simple Green or maybe carburetor cleaner(?)) and let the parts soak for maybe 12-24 hours? After that, I'll scrub them with an old toothbrush, lube and reassemble.

What do you think?

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Brake cleaner?

Do you mean spray the parts with brake cleaner, or soak them in the crock pot submersed in brake cleaner?

Ed

Originally Posted by Donald
Will your wife use the crock pot for Thanksgiving dinner?

No, it's a little (I think, 1.5 qt.?) crock pot that I use for miscellaneous purposes.

smile.gif

Ed

Brake cleaner is almost same as products like scrub free. Strips all oils form your parts. Just me but either suck it up and go sonic or just go part by part over a trash can with brake cleaner and save the crock for some other use.

Hot water (with or without soap) and gun parts in a crockpot is a recipe for rust.

Hot solvent and gun parts in a crockpot is a recipe for a fire.

Soak them in solvent. I would just get some paint thinner/mineral spirits and a solvent resistant container and let them soak in that. That should take care of any caked on grease and old dirt.

Hit them with brake cleaner afterwards to flush out the loosened dirt/grease.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Hot water (with or without soap) and gun parts in a crockpot is a recipe for rust.

Hot solvent and gun parts in a crockpot is a recipe for a fire.

Soak them in solvent. I would just get some paint thinner/mineral spirits and a solvent resistant container and let them soak in that. That should take care of any caked on grease and old dirt.

Hit them with brake cleaner afterwards to flush out the loosened dirt/grease.

Thank you...I'll follow your advice.

Ed

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Brake cleaner?

Do you mean spray the parts with brake cleaner, or soak them in the crock pot submersed in brake cleaner?

Ed

spray

My gunsmith uses an electric heated stainless steel pot with a 50/50 mix of simple green and water to soak gun parts. There's several videos on YouTube of folks cleaning carburetors, cabinet hardware, etc using simple green, Mr clean, Dawn liquid etc in crockpots with great results. No solvents or anything flammable.

Similar idea, but I don't like to keep the heat on unattended. Usually I'll bring the solution to a boil on a stove top then throw stuff in to clean overnight.

Harbor Freight Hypersonic Cleaner and a bottle of Simple Green. Works wonders on cleaning gun parts. I watched the carbon float right off a BCG today.

Originally Posted by gman2304
My gunsmith uses an electric heated stainless steel pot with a 50/50 mix of simple green and water to soak gun parts. There's several videos on YouTube of folks cleaning carburetors, cabinet hardware, etc using simple green, Mr clean, Dawn liquid etc in crockpots with great results. No solvents or anything flammable.

Reminder, Do NOT use Simple Green for Aluminum parts!

Originally Posted by HangFire

Simple green makes aluminum safe cleaners but it's not the regular simple green.

https://simplegreen.com/faqs/15/

Originally Posted by tom slick
Originally Posted by HangFire

Simple green makes aluminum safe cleaners but it's not the regular simple green.

https://simplegreen.com/faqs/15/

The Simple Green aircraft cleaner is safe for aluminum and not that expensive.

BSW

Plastic dish pan or bucket, hot soapy water with dish soap will easily clean gun parts. Soak for an hour, scrub clean, rinse with HOT water so it dries off quickly. Then spray some aerosol lubricant on it to coat the parts with oil.

When I buy used guns this is what I do to get all the grunge and old lube off it. While it's apart I would look at replacing some of the springs in it. Hammer, action, recoil springs and the like can be had for under $20 and restore the guns action to like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back