Need grease that's safe to be around gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing some bearings in the transmission of my car (Porsche 928) that got ruined from moisture and lack of lubrication. They're needle bearings that ride between the input and main/output shaft of the transmission.

There isn't much splash lubrication getting to these due to their location, so I'm wanting to pack these with some grease to prevent this from happening again. I'll be running mobil delvac 75w90 gear oil in the trans. What grease would be safe to possibly have some gear oil splash on it and not hurt things if some did wind up mixing with the gear oil?

Generally you use Vaseline, or other low melting temp grease, when installing needle bearings in manual transmissions.
That way when it warms up, the grease will melt off and not clog up any passages or block the oil from flowing.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Generally you use Vaseline, or other low melting temp grease, when installing needle bearings in manual transmissions.
That way when it warms up, the grease will melt off and not clog up any passages or block the oil from flowing.

+1 on the Vasaline. Redline oil and others make engine assembly greases that have a low melting points if you want to go exotic as compared to the vasoline.

I don't want assembly grease though, I want something that will continuously provide lubrication to these parts because they are not being sufficiently lubricated otherwise.

Does the spec call for 75W90? Most car manual transmissions use a lighter oil or manual transmission fluid, which is not traditional gear oil.

You could try a sealed bearing.Does the car sit and sit or is it a driver?

Different bearings aren't an option, they aren't a standard size. The car gets driven a couple times a week. There just isn't much oil getting to these hence the want for grease for them.

Park your car on an incline or drive up lots of hills?
21.gif

Problem solved....

What year Porche?

As stated by others, there is no grease that will not be dissolved by the gear oil. I.e, it will not stay in place without becoming part of the gear lube.

Splash lubrication will eventually wash off any grease, period.

If your tranny's gear oil somehow accumulated a lot of moisture that thinned out the lube and oxidized the gear lube, then you need to mitigate the moisture problem.

Does this transmission have a breather tube?

Last edited:
Did a little digging around and I found a bunch of guys that mix wheel bearing grease with gear oil in truck hubs without any issues. I'd avoid anything lithium or moly but I guess I don't know why disc brake wheel bearing grease couldn't work. I know that I've used it to hold roller bearings in place when rebuilding a couple transmissions and transfer cases

I think I'll give that a try with the wheel bearing grease.

The whole problem here again is that there isn't much splash lubrication getting to these bearings. So the little bit of grease that I'm going to put on them probably isn't going to get much oil trying to wash it away, and if it does eventually it's because it got some oil to it.

Originally Posted by mk378
Does the spec call for 75W90? Most car manual transmissions use a lighter oil or manual transmission fluid, which is not traditional gear oil.

Originally Posted by molaKule
What year Porche?

As stated by others, there is no grease that will not be dissolved by the gear oil. I.e, it will not stay in place without becoming part of the gear lube.

Splash lubrication will eventually wash off any grease, period.

If your tranny's gear oil somehow accumulated a lot of moisture that thinned out the lube and oxidized the gear lube, then you need to mitigate the moisture problem.

Does this transmission have a breather tube?

Some questions have been asked and it would be simply a matter of courtesy if you could answer those questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back